New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Travel expenses

bocaminus
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Travel expenses

I'm in the middle of negotiations with a potential client about a 3 month long project that involves 20+ locations. Some are 300 miles away from me. It's been quite a while since I was approached with a similar request. In the past 10 years I was incorporating travel expenses based on on a single photoshoot and I've lost a sense how much the "average" rate for this type of engagement should be. Any suggestion or feedback will be greatly appreciated.

May 27, 2024 at 09:48 PM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Travel expenses

I simplified pricing for a similar situation. The customer paid a 1/2 day or day shooting rate plus travel. I had a few different travel rates based on mileage - 50 miles, 100 miles, etc. If it involved overnight, I added hotel and meals at cost. It wasn’t perfect, but it was easy to price and invoice. Just make sure your day rate is sufficient to cover your cost of doing business plus profit.

May 28, 2024 at 07:01 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Travel expenses

I charge by the mile from my base, for every photoshoot I do

May 28, 2024 at 12:52 PM
bocaminus
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Travel expenses

pr4photos wrote:
I charge by the mile from my base, for every photoshoot I do

Thanks. If you don't mind sharing the details, how much you charge per mile? Some freelance guys charge only one way, some total mileage to and from the location.

May 28, 2024 at 12:55 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Travel expenses

When we were traveling all around the country for jobs, travel days were billed at one half of shooting days plus the client picked up any airfare, car rentals, hotels, meals, etc., then there would be a separate location scouting charge which was at the same half day rate. And some days, it'd be a travel day in the morning and a scouting day in the afternoon so worked out pretty well. And then there was always something like a hundred dollar a day per person per diem including assistants. And finally, I'd often negotiate a flat rate per day for assistants that averaged out to be way more than fair but kept tracking everything much much simpler. I do not, however, miss the lack of sleep.

May 28, 2024 at 09:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Travel expenses

bocaminus wrote:
Thanks. If you don't mind sharing the details, how much you charge per mile? Some freelance guys charge only one way, some total mileage to and from the location.

Well, I'm in the UK, and I charge £0.55 per mile from my base, there and back

May 29, 2024 at 06:39 AM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Travel expenses

The IRS mileage deduction is for tax purposes, it is not what you charge clients. You will need to determine your own mileage expense that covers the cost of using the vehicle and invoice for that number. You will need to charge a travel time that accounts for your not shooting other projects, if you're traveling to shoot for a client it's appropriate to charge a nominal fee perhaps a third to one half your creative fee. I try to be as realistic as possible when quoting a project but still remain profitable.

May 29, 2024 at 09:33 AM
bocaminus
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Travel expenses

tcphoto wrote:
The IRS mileage deduction is for tax purposes, it is not what you charge clients. You will need to determine your own mileage expense that covers the cost of using the vehicle and invoice for that number. You will need to charge a travel time that accounts for your not shooting other projects, if you're traveling to shoot for a client it's appropriate to charge a nominal fee perhaps a third to one half your creative fee. I try to be as realistic as possible when quoting a project but still remain profitable.

Thanks for your input. Years ago, I was charging $0.75 per mile travelled outside the 50 mile radius from my home studio...that was pretty straight forward. The challenge with this quote is that client asked for a bulk estimate for 30+ locations spread out in a 150-450 miles radius from my city. The tough part is determining the schedule and actual routes (single or multiple locations per day) while keeping the cost down without making a dent on my profit bucket.

May 29, 2024 at 10:55 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Travel expenses

Any job in the greater L.A. basin here in southern California, they'd pretty much laugh you out or town if you tried to bill them for mileage. On gigs, like when I drove to Kernville - about three hours from L.A. - I just do a rough estimate and put an even number, in that case, a hundred dollars to cover gas and wear and tear, and that's something that everyone understands without getting bogged down in the minutia of cents per mile.

For this proposed project I would be working up a comprehensive detailed estimate and figure out a way to put a flat fee in per each travel day where you're driving. I might also have the conversation with the client where you ask them how they would like you to bill them for the travel time and gas. They might have a preferred way that their accounting and bookkeeping departments prefer. With one former client, they even had their own in house travel agency and they booked all of our travel for the annual reports I was shooting. They would also book the hotels but I had to put them on my cc and then bill them back on my final invoice, but at least I got the cc points.

May 30, 2024 at 04:39 AM
Perceivedshift

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Travel expenses

I definitely don't have experience in this regard, but personally I would estimate travel, food, and hotel costs then add 25% on top of that to cover the unknowns. This would all be outlined in the contract. Or keep it simple and charge a stipend on top of your day rate. For example here in the US a stipend of $300-$400 would cover most areas except some downtown areas.

Jun 03, 2024 at 08:32 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.