New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

GF 500mm f/5.6

Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GF 500mm f/5.6

Since no one has been mentioning this lens as part of the big Fuji reveal this week, I thought I'd do that. The Fuji video about this lens is very interesting and it appears that a big part of their focus (npi) was both weight reduction and center of gravity shift. They achieved both by shifting the center of gravity rearward significantly and reducing the overall weight to just 48.5 ounces, or half and ounce over three pounds. That's almost unbelievably light for a 500mm and especially for one designed for a medium format. All the other stuff you'd expect - the curved aperture blades, the autofocus and stabilization and finally (jeez, why does it take this long) a freaking Arca-Swiss compatible dovetail carved right into the tripod foot so we don't have to go and buy one. Maybe that shaved a few grams off the weight as well. And the price seems very reasonable at $3499. Can't wait for expected delivery next month and I hope there's not the same world wide shortage as with the 30mm t/s.

May 18, 2024 at 08:16 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GF 500mm f/5.6

It was talked about in the other threads about the new products quite a bit, seems to be some general enthusiasm for it. That it is, essentially, a PF sized lens for medium format is quite impressive. Useful length, takes the 1.4x TC, early samples look so/so thanks to awful photographers getting their hands on it first as usual. Put it in my hands and I'll let you know what it can do

The center of gravity shift tidbit was encouraging to hear as well. It seems like a well thought out entry to GF overall and at a very fair price IMO.

May 18, 2024 at 08:30 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GF 500mm f/5.6

Found a couple of reviews posted over at GetDPI.

https://blog.michaelclarkphoto.com/?p=12481
https://www.captureintegration.com/backyard-birding-with-the-new-fujinon-gf-500mm-lens/
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/fujis-tour-de-force.76123/

May 18, 2024 at 08:46 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GF 500mm f/5.6

RoamingScott wrote:
It was talked about in the other threads about the new products quite a bit, seems to be some general enthusiasm for it. That it is, essentially, a PF sized lens for medium format is quite impressive. Useful length, takes the 1.4x TC, early samples look so/so thanks to awful photographers getting their hands on it first as usual. Put it in my hands and I'll let you know what it can do

The center of gravity shift tidbit was encouraging to hear as well. It seems like a well thought out entry to GF overall and at a very
...Show more

I read everything here about the new products and while the 500 was mentioned it was not talked about extensively. Almost all of the chatter has been about the new GFX camera which is probably a great deal for those looking into the system. I'm far more excited about this lens which is over five pounds less than my Canon 500mm, and given that I rarely shoot that wide open, probably won't miss the maximum aperture but will definitely miss the weight, in a good way.

May 18, 2024 at 08:59 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GF 500mm f/5.6

Looks interesting lens and I am glad it is being offered. I would like to see more about the hood. Looks it is improved design. Hood on my 250mm f4 is crappy.

May 19, 2024 at 10:13 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GF 500mm f/5.6

bobby350z wrote:
Looks interesting lens and I am glad it is being offered. I would like to see more about the hood. Looks it is improved design. Hood on my 250mm f4 is crappy.

Bobby - The hood on my 250 has been just fine. What's crappy about it? The photos of the hood on the 500 look like it'll do the job. The hood will not be a make or break aspect of the lens anyway. I have no doubt that it will be fine as well. More important are that it's three pounds and only thirty-five hundred dollars which seems like a bargain in a land of few bargains.

May 19, 2024 at 10:44 AM
SGinNorcal
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · GF 500mm f/5.6

Impressive that its only about .7 lbs heavier than the GF100-200. It would be nice if the foot is backward compatible. I wonder if they will revise the GF250 to reduce its weight with similar design techniques, whatever those are.

May 19, 2024 at 01:05 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · GF 500mm f/5.6

SGinNorcal wrote:
Impressive that its only about .7 lbs heavier than the GF100-200. It would be nice if the foot is backward compatible. I wonder if they will revise the GF250 to reduce its weight with similar design techniques, whatever those are.

I find that the GF250 is pretty well balanced the way it is, with or without the converter. I can't imagine they would, at this point in the system development, stop and redesign that lens. I can't remember however, if the foot part of the mount is detachable from the mounting collar on that lens. I do know that when I bought mine used it came with a Fuji branded A/S adapter to attach to the mounting plate. Maybe this new 500mm will signal a change going forward with integral mounting dovetails in all of their mounting feet. The 30mm t/s should have that but does not.

May 19, 2024 at 02:11 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · GF 500mm f/5.6

Peter Figen wrote:
Bobby - The hood on my 250 has been just fine. What's crappy about it? The photos of the hood on the 500 look like it'll do the job. The hood will not be a make or break aspect of the lens anyway. I have no doubt that it will be fine as well. More important are that it's three pounds and only thirty-five hundred dollars which seems like a bargain in a land of few bargains.

It is just hard to put in on, when shooting or when putting it reverse. This hood looks better made. I used to own canon 400mm f5.6. Best built in hood. I think Canon 300mm f4 was like that too. Canon 500mm f4 version I hood was a pain. 250mm is not as good but could be better, that's all. Now this 500mm lighter than 250mm making me very interested in it.

May 19, 2024 at 04:17 PM
AZSteve
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · GF 500mm f/5.6

The GF 500mm is very similar in dimensions, weight, number of elements exotic and otherwise, and price to the new Sigma 500mm f/5.6, recently very favorably reviewed by LensTip. There's no reason why lenses with such specs shouldn't be pretty nearly diffraction limited in the center and not much worse in the corners. You might say the Fuji design is a bit more daring, in that it has only two large elements up front. Optically it's pretty sure to be as good as it needs to be.

Possibly the main reason this lens hasn't attracted much attention is that most of the market for super-telephotos is for birds and other wildlife, and deep-pocketed enthusiasts are committed to systems with several long lenses, many of them faster than f/5.6. For Peter and Bobby and me this GF 500mm is sort of a luxury novelty landscape lens, no? I still have a full Sony system with a pair of A7RM5's and a bunch of lenses I'd hate to part with, including the 200-600mm G, which did a pretty good job with the eclipse in Oklahoma, and which as a landscape lens has the very substantial advantage of being a zoom. The Sony won't test quite as well as the Fuji almost certainly, but given typical landscape atmospheric seeing conditions, will there be much practical difference? And even Lloyd Chambers with a Mercedes van to deploy is muttering about how hard it is to carry everything. I have to fit my stuff into a 4Runner and schlepp it to the hotel room every night for security reasons. TOO MUCH GEAR!

All that said, I'm on the verge of preordering the $#%$$^&^%&* thing.

May 19, 2024 at 06:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · GF 500mm f/5.6

Anyone that buys this for JUST landscape use has far more money than sense. Plenty of more flexible options that can get you a shot at 400mm equivalent.

Any lens can take a picture of a perched bird. Any lens can capture a still cityscape. Fuji is entering into the realm of moving wildlife and sports with a lens like this. If any GFX can adequately grab and hold focus on such things through AF-C burst shooting, I have sincere doubts.

May 19, 2024 at 06:57 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · GF 500mm f/5.6

RoamingScott wrote:
Anyone that buys this for JUST landscape use has far more money than sense. Plenty of more flexible options that can get you a shot at 400mm equivalent.

Any lens can take a picture of a perched bird. Any lens can capture a still cityscape. Fuji is entering into the realm of moving wildlife and sports with a lens like this. If any GFX can adequately grab and hold focus on such things through AF-C burst shooting, I have sincere doubts.

They already have the algorithms as the software to the camera OS is common between X and GFX, all they need is a lens with good motors and the bandwidth and CPU to move the data. I'm not planning on upgrading right now but I am interested to see how far they've come. I think beefing up the GFX is a goal as I've heard them mention it but I think they might be targeting sports but will be interesting to see if it can focus on BiF. The current fps will much less than smaller formats though.

Edited on May 19, 2024 at 07:09 PM · View previous versions

May 19, 2024 at 07:08 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · GF 500mm f/5.6

AZSteve wrote:
The GF 500mm is very similar in dimensions, weight, number of elements exotic and otherwise, and price to the new Sigma 500mm f/5.6, recently very favorably reviewed by LensTip. There's no reason why lenses with such specs shouldn't be pretty nearly diffraction limited in the center and not much worse in the corners. You might say the Fuji design is a bit more daring, in that it has only two large elements up front. Optically it's pretty sure to be as good as it needs to be.

Possibly the main reason this lens hasn't attracted much attention is that most of
...Show more

I've already put my name on one at Samy's. Can't wait. I'm pretty fine with having one SKB case with the 250, 500 and 1.4 giving me four great lenses in one case. I'm going to keep the Canon 500 at least for the time being.

It's also interesting that after another couple of months of shooting downtown L.A. from six or seven miles away this winter, and encountering thermal interference to one degree or another almost all the time, shooting with longer lenses, and specifically, shooting vertical shots with the 500mm on the GFX and stitching them together, even with the interference, resulted in far greater real detail in the final image, and to be honest, you really can't see it until you get into really huge prints - like over ninety inches in width on those panos I've been doing.

And then there were days where it just looked like you were shooting through a shower door and nothing was usable, but generally, the closer it was to dusk, the clearer it was, and using two tripods also made a huge and very visible difference as well. Lastly, in those long distance cityscapes, the manual shutter was far better as often the shimmering from the thermals combined with the electronic shutter caused the verticals in the buildings to turn into long lazy vertical S's. Very frustrating until I figured it out.

May 19, 2024 at 07:08 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · GF 500mm f/5.6

Given how far behind even the X-H2S is compared to the big three, just sharing its algorithm with GFX won’t do much for them.

GFX lenses are moving much heavier glass as well.

All that said, I might pick one up as well just for sheer curiosity sake, and the fact that I shoot much different subject matter than most GFX posters here.

rbf_ wrote:
They already have the algorithms as the software to the camera OS is common between X and GFX, all they need is a lens with good motors and the bandwidth and CPU to move the data. I'm not planning on upgrading right now but I am interested to see how far they've come. I think beefing up the GFX is a goal as I've heard them mention it but I think they might be targeting sports but will be interesting to see if it can focus on BiF. The current fps will much less than smaller formats though.

May 19, 2024 at 07:12 PM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · GF 500mm f/5.6

Where do you find the time to poll all the other GFX shooters here about their subject matter, especially outside of what they post on forums?

May 19, 2024 at 07:51 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · GF 500mm f/5.6

RoamingScott wrote:
Given how far behind even the X-H2S is compared to the big three, just sharing its algorithm with GFX won’t do much for them.

GFX lenses are moving much heavier glass as well.

All that said, I might pick one up as well just for sheer curiosity sake, and the fact that I shoot much different subject matter than most GFX posters here.

I wasn't implying that they would steal customers away from the big 3 FF systems that have had BiF as a focus for decades just that they could make it a much more faster and general purpose system. I use my XT5 for some occasional BiF and it can get shots. I won't be buying a system for just that however I'm just not that into that.

May 19, 2024 at 08:00 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · GF 500mm f/5.6

It’s almost like we have GFX image threads that are representative of people that share their works. If someone doesn’t share theirs, their opinions are weighted far less heavily to me because their skill/genre/abilities are a total unknown and functionally useless to me.

I can say with certainty that the people who do share their work here, in general, have little need for this lens in the same way that a typical 400mm shooter needs one. I suspect the most that we’ll see are a few nice shots of perched birds that didn’t need as much cropping as usual...perhaps some isolated landscape subjects.

If you find someone that is shooting sports for money with the GF500, post it here, because I’d LOVE to see it.

thrice wrote:
Where do you find the time to poll all the other GFX shooters here about their subject matter, especially outside of what they post on forums?

May 19, 2024 at 08:27 PM
gear-nut
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · GF 500mm f/5.6

Let’s face it @RoamingScott, the GFX AF is at least 2 years, maybe 4 behind Nikon, Sony, Canon Fx. It’ll be a cold day in hell before real money is made off the 500 GF in sports. Maybe wildlife, but then there’s simply no money there anymore; you’d need 10? years to recoup the initial investment…

May 19, 2024 at 09:04 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · GF 500mm f/5.6

OK, hobbies wise, photography is cheap. Not as cheap as gardening though, which I did, when we bought our house and I had to sell most of gear to put extra down payment. I see all these folks buying 4runners, jeeps and what not. This 500mm 5.6 is not expensive in comparison. I will probably spend $100 on clothes but have no issue dropping $10k on camera/lens. All is in what is important to you.

May 19, 2024 at 09:19 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · GF 500mm f/5.6

AF wise, Fuji needs some good sw engineers more than anything else. They are good in other things but need to catch up in the AF side of things. Spend some $$$ and it can be done with better processing hardware and software algorithms. It is not rocket science.

May 19, 2024 at 09:22 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.