Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

  

DIY Leica M10 screen cover for minimalistic look

  
 
yukosteel
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DIY Leica M10 screen cover for minimalistic look


Leica M10 design is already quite minimalistic, though sometimes it'd be nice to not paying attention to the presence of extra buttons and LCD screen. It's great that M10-D version exists for that purpose. How about introducing similar optional experience to the M10 cameras with screens.

This DIY 3D print project is still in progress, and here's the related article with more details and future updates.

3D models linked there are free for download and personal use.














Apr 15, 2024 at 01:24 AM
yukosteel
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DIY Leica M10 screen cover for minimalistic look


Camera is becoming 0.5mm thicker with protector.












Apr 15, 2024 at 02:37 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DIY Leica M10 screen cover for minimalistic look


When flipping down the 3D-printed screen protector, at first glance, it seems that the M10 now has a flip screen like the SL3. I think the thickness is similar.

Yuri, thank you for sharing the code. I printed the earlier version yesterday, and it functions effectively, though it shows the buttons on the side. I prefer your newer version. However, the previous one is compatible with a half case because it doesn't extend too far at the bottom. I think a combination of the first version and this one would be ideal, as the first version stays securely on the LCD without needing any tape.

Is there a special print setting to make the back as smooth as possible?



Apr 15, 2024 at 09:19 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DIY Leica M10 screen cover for minimalistic look


Picture showing the M10-R with @yukosteel's LCD cap (v1) with Arte Di Mano half case. I will try a newer prototype with similar length to v1 but with hidden bottons today and see if it's still compatible with this half case.







Apr 15, 2024 at 11:36 AM
yukosteel
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DIY Leica M10 screen cover for minimalistic look


Oh, very interesting, I didn't think about using the cover as a combo with leather half case protector.

Sure, just sent you the model file 1mm shorter in the bottom, please tell if that works better.

Regarding smooth surface, there are few options:
- flip the printer bed plate from textured side to use flat side, though it's requiring to also apply supplied glue (and cleaning afterwards), otherwise model will not stick to the bed when printing. I didn't optimize this print for flat surface.
- exploring more YT videos on this matter : ) I'm not very experienced of making flat smooth base yet.



Apr 15, 2024 at 11:39 AM
yukosteel
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DIY Leica M10 screen cover for minimalistic look


Added few design improvements based on feedback from Fred, and posted few model updates:

- V3B - 1mm shorter in the bottom area for more tight fit
- V3C - curved left bottom corner for better fit with leather half-cases



Apr 15, 2024 at 02:50 PM
torifile
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DIY Leica M10 screen cover for minimalistic look


Does this fit the m11?


Apr 17, 2024 at 09:56 PM
yukosteel
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DIY Leica M10 screen cover for minimalistic look


torifile wrote:
Does this fit the m11?


Good question! From what I see online, M11 has D-Pad elevated by about 2mm comparing to M10 series, other than that the 3Dmodel should fit on top of a bit shorter frame of M11 screen.



Apr 18, 2024 at 07:46 PM
torifile
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DIY Leica M10 screen cover for minimalistic look


If I get ambitious Iíll see if I can edit the file to account for it and post back.

yukosteel wrote:
Good question! From what I see online, M11 has D-Pad elevated by about 2mm comparing to M10 series, other than that the 3Dmodel should fit on top of a bit shorter frame of M11 screen.




Apr 18, 2024 at 08:21 PM
yukosteel
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DIY Leica M10 screen cover for minimalistic look


torifile wrote:
If I get ambitious Iíll see if I can edit the file to account for it and post back.



With closer look realized that M11 screen borders are more square. I'll make an experimental model for M11 and post it to Printables page shortly.



Apr 18, 2024 at 09:33 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

yukosteel
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DIY Leica M10 screen cover for minimalistic look


Updated plate model Version II with low profile connector to bottom plate
https://www.printables.com/model/849783-leica-m10-lcd-screen-cover-protector-version-ii









Apr 19, 2024 at 02:36 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · DIY Leica M10 screen cover for minimalistic look


yukosteel wrote:
Updated plate model Version II with low profile connector to bottom plate
https://www.printables.com/model/849783-leica-m10-lcd-screen-cover-protector-version-ii


It appears to be quite stable and secure now, Yuri.

Just to confirm, the model is scaled as follows: X = 95%, Y = 95%, Z = 100%.I couldn't fully tighten the bolt using a coin.



Apr 19, 2024 at 09:53 PM
yukosteel
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · DIY Leica M10 screen cover for minimalistic look


Fred Miranda wrote:
It appears to be quite stable and secure now, Yuri.

Just to confirm, the model is scaled as follows: X = 95%, Y = 95%, Z = 100%.I couldn't fully tighten the bolt using a coin.


It may also depend on your print speed, yes it is both horizontal axis to make bolt diameter slightly smaller. Try to print bolt at 90% X and Y if it is still too tight. The one I printed is screwing in/out almost effortlessly.

I was thinking about another modification where bolt would be part of the bottom mini-plate, and LCD plate connected as flip-out hinge. If angular position of tripod thread is similar on M cameras, then it would be possible to design an print-in place model that would screw into the tripod socket, and flip up LCD protector after it. I'll experiment in that direction tomorrow.



Apr 19, 2024 at 10:30 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · DIY Leica M10 screen cover for minimalistic look


yukosteel wrote:
It may also depend on your print speed, yes it is both horizontal axis to make bolt diameter slightly smaller. Try to print bolt at 90% X and Y if it is still too tight. The one I printed is screwing in/out almost effortlessly.

I was thinking about another modification where bolt would be part of the bottom mini-plate, and LCD plate connected as flip-out hinge. If angular position of tripod thread is similar on M cameras, then it would be possible to design an print-in place model that would screw into the tripod socket, and flip up LCD protector after
...Show more

I printed with the following settings: X = 94%, Y = 94%, Z = 100%, resolution 0.1mm, and print speed at 30mm/s. It works great, and the bolt screws in very easily now.

As an alternative, I wanted to see how the cover would look with an adhesive leather strip on it.



Apr 22, 2024 at 12:07 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · DIY Leica M10 screen cover for minimalistic look


I revisited this and wrapped the entire LCD cover with leather adhesive, from front to back, using your version 1 prototype. I kept the left buttons accessible because I sometimes need to press LV button to access the EVF or Menu button to use Leica FOTOS for wireless image transfer to my computer without removing the cover.

Also, wrapping it with adhesive leather provided a stronger grip to the LCD, eliminating the need for the tripod mount extension -- it's secure enough now.









Alternatively, here is how it looks with the left buttons covered and the tripod extension attached.




Apr 23, 2024 at 05:13 PM
yukosteel
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · DIY Leica M10 screen cover for minimalistic look


Just published redesigned 3D model of V4 of screen cover for Leica M10 cameras

It's available for free download and personal non-commercial use


Features:

- screen cover is now flipping down 180 degree on durable hinge (enforced with steel rod made form paperclip)
- low profile 3mm bottom mount is securing to tripod mount using new printable bolt with oversized 20mm diameter head, allowing to secure it with hands
- bottom mount is centered allowing camera to stand straight, cover is laying flat on surface when flipped out to 90 degree
- easy print (no support, no rafts, no brim needed)












May 19, 2024 at 01:46 PM
Timphoto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · DIY Leica M10 screen cover for minimalistic look


On a slight different, but 3D printing project...I've always had a concern about my exposed Leica battery terminals bouncing around in my camera bag.

Does anyone have a 3D print file for a BP-SCL5 battery cover? Just something that fits over the terminal end of the battery?



May 19, 2024 at 02:14 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · DIY Leica M10 screen cover for minimalistic look


yukosteel wrote:
Just published redesigned 3D model of V4 of screen cover for Leica M10 cameras

It's available for free download and personal non-commercial use

Features:

- screen cover is now flipping down 180 degree on durable hinge (enforced with steel rod made form paperclip)
- low profile 3mm bottom mount is securing to tripod mount using new printable bolt with oversized 20mm diameter head, allowing to secure it with hands
- bottom mount is centered allowing camera to stand straight, cover is laying flat on surface when flipped out to 90 degree
- easy print (no support, no rafts, no brim needed)


Thanks for the update. I will print out this today. I like that it's easy to secure the bolt with fingers.
PS: That thumb support looks sleek too!



May 19, 2024 at 04:23 PM
yukosteel
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · DIY Leica M10 screen cover for minimalistic look


Timphoto wrote:
On a slight different, but 3D printing project...I've always had a concern about my exposed Leica battery terminals bouncing around in my camera bag.

Does anyone have a 3D print file for a BP-SCL5 battery cover? Just something that fits over the terminal end of the battery?


Very good question! I saw the 3D model of BP-SCL5 battery, which makes it very easy to design snap on cover for it. If I find time tonight to make and publish one.
Personally I'm also a bit concerned about exposed fragile walls of Li-ION cells, so usually carry each battery in soft poach for extra protection. Making durable 3D-printed shield would help with more safe battery handling.

UPDATE: experimenting with following prototype first, is in printing . . .

. . .a-a-and after few hours of testing and polishing, here's forum thread on final 3D model
I'll probably design few more versions and post there as well.







May 19, 2024 at 06:37 PM
Timphoto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · DIY Leica M10 screen cover for minimalistic look


yukosteel wrote:
Very good question! I saw the 3D model of BP-SCL5 battery, which makes it very easy to design snap on cover for it. If I find time tonight to make and publish one.
Personally I'm also a bit concerned about exposed fragile walls of Li-ION cells, so usually carry each battery in soft poach for extra protection. Making durable 3D-printed shield would help with more safe battery handling.

UPDATE: experimenting with following prototype first, is in printing . . .

. . .a-a-and after few hours of testing and polishing, here's forum thread on final 3D model
I'll probably design few more versions and
...Show more

That's exactly what I had in mind. THANK YOU!



May 21, 2024 at 01:25 PM







FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.