Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Selling Prints - so frustrated with NextGEN Pro on Wordpress but not sur...

eyal
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Selling Prints - so frustrated with NextGEN Pro on Wordpress but not sure what is better

I have been selling landscape prints as well as annual calendars, note cards and now digital images via Wordpress for years. Initially used the Envira Plugin then moved to NextGEN Pro.

I was sort of happy with NextGen Pro largely in the ability to set a single photo pricesheet to apply to all albums/galleries but received an email from a frustrated user this morning that led me to revisit the site.

Not only was the user correct that items in the cart were being dropped but many of my galleries suddenly only show 5 photos (vs a curated 30-40).

I opened up a ticket but wondered if anyone here has alternatives.

Ideally I am looking for a way to sell photos in various print sizes/formats (self-fulfilled) and as digital downloads while not slowing down the site/experience for my users as NextGen definitely does.

I briefly considered Photoshelter as an alternative to WP but it has given up on Lightroom integration as of 2 versions ago and has a significant upcharge on any print sales (10% on top of the monthly cost).

If it helps, here is my site - https://wednesdaysinmhd.com/

Thanks!

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:13 AM
mkuznicki
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Selling Prints - so frustrated with NextGEN Pro on Wordpress but not sure what is better

Have you considered https://www.photodeck.com?

Mar 24, 2024 at 07:46 PM
eyal
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Selling Prints - so frustrated with NextGEN Pro on Wordpress but not sure what is better

mkuznicki wrote:
Have you considered https://www.photodeck.com?

WOW!!!

It has only been 5-10 minutes but I am already floored by PhotoDeck!

Never heard of it when searching.

Do you already have a site built with it?

Mar 24, 2024 at 08:21 PM
mkuznicki
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Selling Prints - so frustrated with NextGEN Pro on Wordpress but not sure what is better

eyal wrote:
WOW!!!

It has only been 5-10 minutes but I am already floored by PhotoDeck!

Never heard of it when searching.

Do you already have a site built with it?

I do, and I've been very happy with it. I struggled with WP for a few years before I made the move.
https://www.mkuznicki.com

Mar 24, 2024 at 08:27 PM
eyal
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Selling Prints - so frustrated with NextGEN Pro on Wordpress but not sure what is better

Thank you. This looks like a huge improvement. I'm looking forward to playing with the LR integration

Mar 24, 2024 at 08:43 PM
eyal
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Selling Prints - so frustrated with NextGEN Pro on Wordpress but not sure what is better

mkuznicki wrote:
I do, and I've been very happy with it. I struggled with WP for a few years before I made the move.
https://www.mkuznicki.com

So it turns out I had run against a known bug in NextGen and the devs went in and made some changes which did seem to help a lot.

Would love some opinions on which website/gallery view is better.

I like my current galleries for the style, size of images when enlarged. The new one has some niceties including search being far better/faster. I could do a mashup of the two with links to galleries jumping out to the PhotoDeck version but wonder if I'm chasing the opinions of one very, very picky client and should leave well enough alone...

Current site: https://wednesdaysinmhd.com

Photodeck version: https://wednesdaysinmarblehead.photodeck.com

Only compare the first 4 galleries.

Mar 27, 2024 at 06:26 AM
mkuznicki
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Selling Prints - so frustrated with NextGEN Pro on Wordpress but not sure what is better

eyal wrote:
Would love some opinions on which website/gallery view is better.

I like my current galleries for the style, size of images when enlarged. The new one has some niceties including search being far better/faster. I could do a mashup of the two with links to galleries jumping out to the PhotoDeck version but wonder if I'm chasing the opinions of one very, very picky client and should leave well enough alone...

Current site: https://wednesdaysinmhd.com

Photodeck version: https://wednesdaysinmarblehead.photodeck.com

Only compare the first 4 galleries.

First of all, I really like your site concept in general. It's very clear who your customer base is, but you still offer a wide variety. Clever idea!

The biggest difference between the two (and the one you can't do too much about about) is speed. Image loading is a slower on the WP site (no surprise), but one thing I don't understand is the delay for the price list to appear.

PD gives you enough customization options to make it look more like your WP site. You currently are taking up a lot of real estate with gallery image counters and control buttons and titles and huge fonts. You may want to try to reconfigure the page layout to better use the available space and display larger images. This is true for your gallery pages too, with the large font used for the introduction. Don't forget about the full screen single image display option. Also don't forget that you can create completely separate styles for mobile, so if any of the font size choices were to suit mobile users, you don't have to use the same style for desktop.

Just one guy's opinion. Good luck.

Mar 27, 2024 at 07:17 AM
eyal
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Selling Prints - so frustrated with NextGEN Pro on Wordpress but not sure what is better

VERY Helpful - Thanks!

Mar 27, 2024 at 07:34 AM
PaulCStudios
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Selling Prints - so frustrated with NextGEN Pro on Wordpress but not sure what is better

Hi Eyal,

I have had the same problem with NexGen Pro, it is loaded with some weird bugs. Support gets back to me but a lot of the time they say we do not offer that feature. So I stopped using NexGen Pro and went back to basic NexGen Gallery since I was starting a big job where a lot of images had to be posted.

Agree WP is slow and integrate an app such as NexGen is not working for me after years of trying. I am keeping my WP site since my business offers a lot of different options besides my photography. I am also on the hunt for a site to host all of my photography, and just have a page where I link to that site. It seems like a better options than using a WP app.

A friend uses Zenfoilo with good results. My first choice right now is SmugMug, but too busy at the moment to make a change. No matter which one you choose there will be an issue, there does not seem to be one site that does it all well. Hope you find the best solution for you.

Mar 27, 2024 at 08:01 AM
eyal
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Selling Prints - so frustrated with NextGEN Pro on Wordpress but not sure what is better

PaulCStudios wrote:
Hi Eyal,

I have had the same problem with NexGen Pro, it is loaded with some weird bugs. Support gets back to me but a lot of the time they say we do not offer that feature. So I stopped using NexGen Pro and went back to basic NexGen Gallery since I was starting a big job where a lot of images had to be posted.

Agree WP is slow and integrate an app such as NexGen is not working for me after years of trying. I am keeping my WP site since my business offers a lot of different options besides
...Show more

Thanks Paul!

I've actually been with SmugMug for far longer than I had the WP site. Used to be active on Dgrin forums when the two were tied together. Only use it to share photos of my kids with their grandparents now. Never found it very good for selling prints the way I wanted.

And I have now checked PhotoShelter, Zenfolio, Shopify and really do think PhotoDeck is the best option and surprised it is so 'under the radar'. I also just realized support has been directly from the founder which is great but also makes me wonder how big the team is behind the site. Hopefully solid enough that it continues without issue

Mar 27, 2024 at 08:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

PaulCStudios
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Selling Prints - so frustrated with NextGEN Pro on Wordpress but not sure what is better

Thank Eyal,

Thanks for sharing all your experience with the sites. I will also look into PhotoDeck and learn a bit.

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:14 AM
mkuznicki
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Selling Prints - so frustrated with NextGEN Pro on Wordpress but not sure what is better

To add a little more context based on my own experiences and observations:

I've never tried SmugMug

I used Zenfolio for a few years, but experienced some shady billing practices so I dumped them. Also just recently came across this - https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1850373/0#16498756

I tried PhotoSshelter trials a few times. I found it slow and expensive (for print sales).

I used WP for a few years, but the site maintenance wasn't something I wanted to spend my time on.

That's how I ended up with Photodeck (since 2015, if that tells you anything).

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:27 AM
PaulCStudios
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Selling Prints - so frustrated with NextGEN Pro on Wordpress but not sure what is better

Thanks MK good to know, it is not and easy option. I do not want anyone to have my originals.

Mar 27, 2024 at 01:01 PM
eyal
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Selling Prints - so frustrated with NextGEN Pro on Wordpress but not sure what is better

Only took a few days and I am very happy with my new site. Currently running as a subdomain with my old site staying up and linking here for any galleries as I don't want to lose any SEO from 15 years:

https://photos.wednesdaysinmhd.com

Mar 28, 2024 at 09:18 PM
mkuznicki
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Selling Prints - so frustrated with NextGEN Pro on Wordpress but not sure what is better

Nice job on the new site! And (I should have said this earlier) great photos too!

Mar 29, 2024 at 05:54 AM
eyal
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Selling Prints - so frustrated with NextGEN Pro on Wordpress but not sure what is better

mkuznicki wrote:
Nice job on the new site! And (I should have said this earlier) great photos too!

Thank you.

Founder himself answered a few emails I sent with questions as I went.

Reassured that he founded the site back in 2009.

Still can't get over the speed

Really appreciate the pointer to them. And will be paying for a year soon...

Mar 29, 2024 at 06:18 AM
PaulCStudios
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Selling Prints - so frustrated with NextGEN Pro on Wordpress but not sure what is better

Nice Job Eval,

I have also talked with the founder by email. He is quick to respond and right to the point. I will look at making the change when I have the time.

Really enjoy all of your galleries having spent years in Marblehead living on and running race boats. So many great memories.

Thanks for the great info.

Mar 29, 2024 at 06:44 AM
eyal
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Selling Prints - so frustrated with NextGEN Pro on Wordpress but not sure what is better

Small world

Still shocked how many people have spent time in this town. I published a book and it was purchased by the head of the Library of Congress as well as the head of Space Camp! Both having spent formative years here.

Mar 29, 2024 at 08:29 AM
PaulCStudios
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Selling Prints - so frustrated with NextGEN Pro on Wordpress but not sure what is better

It is a very special place. I spent seven summers running race boats there, still visit by boat, and sometimes by land.

You do a wonderful job of capturing the town. It shows your love and talent as a photographer. Keep having fun.

Mar 29, 2024 at 08:56 AM
eyal
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Selling Prints - so frustrated with NextGEN Pro on Wordpress but not sure what is better

Site finished and just learned they have Whitewall integration. Would be nice to explore their offerings vs my current BayPhoto. Waiting to hear on their pricing for photographers.

For anyone who happens upon this thread, I am now redirecting all homepage traffic to my new PhotoDeck site.

If you want to compare old vs new, here is the same gallery (actually Photodeck has more images in it now):

Wordpress - https://wednesdaysinmhd.com/abbot-hall/
Photodeck - https://photos.wednesdaysinmhd.com/-/galleries/abbot-hall

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:39 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.