New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

How many pixels do you really use?

AeroPhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How many pixels do you really use?

I have a 61mp Sony A7R5.

When I send my images to petapixel who I write for, they want 1,400 pixels (approx 0.7mb). I email images this same size.

The limit to post here at Miranda is about 1750 pixels (1.4mb).

For a wedding or similar private event, I presume you provide your client with several files sizes of each image. What are those sizes?

Thank you,
Alan

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:39 PM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How many pixels do you really use?

I deliver 4000 pixels on the long edge as standard high res. I've done 5000 on request. I also do two lower res deliveries that the client can use for web - 1200 and 2600 if I remember correctly.

How many pixels do I really use? Most of them - I avoid heavy cropping. How many pixels make it to the client? Maybe half of what I started with.

Mar 19, 2024 at 01:10 AM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How many pixels do you really use?

It depends on the client and print vs social media. If you’re shooting for an ad or commercial client, they may want both social media-size and full-size (for prints, posters, ad reproduction for tradeshows, etc.).

Mar 19, 2024 at 05:41 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How many pixels do you really use?

My art images are generally uprezzed to 10800 × 7200 (36 x 24") for printing at that size.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How many pixels do you really use?

The limit to UPLOAD here is 1.4mb. You are certainly free to embed bigger, and it's encouraged, because all critical detail is rendered unviewable at the FM file size limits.

I deliver full resolution images to my clients, I see no reason to do any downres for people paying for my output, nor do I see a reason to deliver multiple size jpegs.

I tend to deliver pretty large prints on that side of the house, so the more resolution the better.

Emailing photos is an archaic practice. Much better to link to a cloud-hosted folder like Dropbox or OneDrive.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:52 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How many pixels do you really use?

For my commercial clients, I supply images at 5000px on the long edge

Mar 19, 2024 at 02:39 PM
AeroPhoto
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How many pixels do you really use?

Bernie wrote:
My art images are generally uprezzed to 10800 × 7200 (36 x 24") for printing at that size.

So that looks like 300 DPI.

I printed various file sizes with my home Canon TS8220 printer. It's not called a photo printer. There was no improvement with print quality above 1500 pixel images, which is about 143 pixels per inch. The printer offers a resampling option, but I could not see any difference in the print between on or off.

Alan

Edited on Mar 22, 2024 at 04:01 PM · View previous versions

Mar 19, 2024 at 03:47 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How many pixels do you really use?

It all depends on the needs of the output, as has already been mentioned. I did a quick little retouching/file prep job this afternoon for Castrol where their supplied stock photo image is printing eighteen feet wide. The final CMYK tiff I delivered was 32,400 pixels wide and weighed in at 2.97 GB uncompressed and I generally do not compress as it takes too long on both ends, both the compressing and the uncompressing by my client and then WeTransfer off to my client in Bend.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:42 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.