New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Backing up files

tonyespofoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Backing up files

I need some advice regarding backups. I'm in a rural area and the internet is slow, as in really really slow. I tried Backblaze and after 10 days, I had not reached 1% of my files, so the cloud is out of the question. What I've been doing is using hard drives to back up and then keeping them in my shop about 100 feet away. I feel good that the data is off-site, so I have some protection from fire or theft. But it is a pita to get the drives, do a backup and then return them to storage and I'm missing the additional security of a RAID setup. What's prompting this now is a near disaster. I has a drive fail and one of the 2 copies was unusable. What I'd like would be a RAID setup running full time in the shop but I don't know how to set that up or how to establish a fast connection. The shop is a metal building so there is no wifi there and I'm guessing it would be as slow as my internet. I don't think I'll live long enough to see a fiber optic connection. I've thought about running an ethernet cable but I'm guessing that 100 feet might be too long a distance. The power to the shop comes in via a buried PVC pipe and I might be able to pull a CAT line through the pipe but wondered if the proximity to 240 AC in the pipe might adversely effect the data.I sure would appreciate it if anyone with the expertise necessary could advise me. The total data I 'd like to back up is approximately 15TB.

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:22 PM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Backing up files

It would be a expensive, but you could consider fiber optic ethernet between the two. there are fiber optic converters and cable available. Hereís an example. Iíve not used it, but it has good reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ethernet-Converter-Multi-Mode-MC200CM/dp/B003AVRLZI?th=1

Jan 23, 2024 at 07:58 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Backing up files

Ethernet runs are good up to 300ft.

Jan 23, 2024 at 09:14 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Backing up files

Having the scars from the early days since MS-DOS and Windows 3.1, I have 3 backups. You don't need an overly fast connection -- USB 3 works fine for my 12TB of system, images, etc. The first backup on each takes about 30 hours, but then the incrementals are minutes.

One backup is continuously online, backing up hourly. The second is nearby, but offline and performed weekly. The third is off site and also done weekly. Your 15TB of data could reside on a single 20/22TB HDD for each BU. As the backups get full, the old ones are deleted automatically.

Jan 23, 2024 at 12:28 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Backing up files

You can run ethernet in the same pipe as 240V is you use shielded cable, but with that comes a bit of added complication with the plugs at each end (which also need to be shielded and grounded) and even shielded cable requires a few inches of separation from unshielded power lines to ensure data integrity IIRC and it sounds like you would not be able to guarantee that in a basic PVC conduit.

Another option would be to run ethernet to an optical switch at each end of the run and just pull fiber through the conduit. Now you can get combined ethernet and optical network switches that's not such a tricky endeavor as it once used to be (but it is a bit more expensive than simple ethernet) and obviously fiber would be immune to electrical interference.

Final potential option I can think of, and probably the most expensive, is to install a wifi beacon on the outside of your shop (and house if needed) to create a wireless network link between the two locations. There are plenty of high-power outdoor-rated access points available (from Netgear, TP-Link, Ubiquiti, to name a few) but they tend not to come cheap and they obviously require wiring to an inside switch so that's more cable and hardware required.

And even once you do set up a RAID option in the shop, I'd still do occasional backups to a single drive that you keep entirely off site (at someone else's house or in a bank vault) in case of natural disaster.

Jan 23, 2024 at 03:38 PM
TJ Asher
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Backing up files

wordfool wrote:
Another option would be to run ethernet to an optical switch at each end of the run and just pull fiber through the conduit. Now you can get combined ethernet and optical network switches that's not such a tricky endeavor as it once used to be (but it is a bit more expensive than simple ethernet) and obviously fiber would be immune to electrical interference.

This. That's what I'd do. Cheap? Nope. Fast? Yep. Reliable and always connected so you can always have a second copy being maintained "off site."

wordfool wrote:
And even once you do set up a RAID option in the shop, I'd still do occasional backups to a single drive that you keep entirely off site (at someone else's house or in a bank vault) in case of natural disaster.

And then do this. Keep a copy truly out of the area. Tornado or wildfire or flood takes out the area and your data is gone.

Remember - two is one and one is none - that's why you need three copies.

Cheers!
TJ

Jan 23, 2024 at 06:17 PM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Backing up files

Thanks for your suggestion. I looked at the converter you suggested and it's only $30.00. I don't know what special tools are required to run fiber optic cable, but if it will give me a speed increase I may try it. Another poster has suggested that ethernet cable is good for 300 feet. If so, that would I think give me enough speed. File copying, as in one drive to another on my machine is about 150MB/sec, which is fast enough. My problem is between my computer and the rest of the world. Thank you fo taking the time to reply. I'm very appreciative.
Tony

Jan 23, 2024 at 07:23 PM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Backing up files

Thank you T J for your reply. You are right about off-site back ups. You can't be too careful. There are only two kinds of people in the world: Those who have lost data and those who will. As it turns out, I'm in the latter category.
Regards,
Tony

Jan 23, 2024 at 07:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tonyespofoto
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Backing up files

Hi Bernie,
Is your backup to a 2nd computer or to a NAS or Are you using a RAID setup? I agree that ethernet would be fast enough, once the initial backup is completed. Getting a line to the shop would not be overly expensive especially compared to the pain of all that lost work. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Tony

Jan 23, 2024 at 07:33 PM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Backing up files

Wordfool,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Your suggestion to use fiber is a good one which I will investigate. If I had to, I could hire a backhoe and operator and dig a new trench and put the ethernet or fiber in a new PVC pipe. This is starting to sound doable.
Regards,
Tony

Jan 23, 2024 at 07:39 PM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Backing up files

Roaming Scott,
Thanks for the info. I thought the limit was around 30 feet, so that's good to know.
Regards,
Tony

Jan 23, 2024 at 07:41 PM
Mitch60

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Backing up files

Hi I myself looking in a good back-up. I run a desktop Lrc and lr plus Ipad Pro Lr when on location. just cancel their cloud service since it did not do what I wanted.
Now looking in a NAS 2 or 3 disk of 4TB each to run in raid.

Would like to hear from any one that run similar Thanks Michel

Edited on Feb 03, 2024 at 10:09 AM · View previous versions

Jan 29, 2024 at 10:07 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Backing up files

For cloud please give a shot to iDrive. You can get sale price of like $5/6 for the first yr and then it will be $99/y for the 10TB plan. I had backblaze personal before. I have 1GbE service but backblaze was slow.

Feb 01, 2024 at 08:53 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Backing up files

bobby350z wrote:
For cloud please give a shot to iDrive. You can get sale price of like $5/6 for the first yr and then it will be $99/y for the 10TB plan. I had backblaze personal before. I have 1GbE service but backblaze was slow.

I use iDrive as my cloud backup and far prefer it to Backblaze mainly because there is control over what is backed up and what isn't, down to folder/file level. I know Backblaze considers "no picking and choosing" as a benefit, but I don't

Mar 03, 2024 at 10:27 PM
coralnut
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Backing up files

here's a link that tells you the coverage distances for various ethernet media types:
Ethernet media standards and distances

If you're thinking about pulling a low-voltage ethernet wire through conduit that contains high voltage wires, bear in mind that the National Electrical Code requires that those low-voltage wires become reclassified as high-voltage wires once they enter that conduit. This is for safety reasons, in the event that a high voltage and low voltage wire should become crossed during the conduit pull. This requirement means that once your ethernet wire gets pulled through a high voltage conduit then the safety requirements for wiring, boxes, etc. that apply to high voltage wires now apply to all of your ethernet cable. From a practical standpoint, this is why nobody pulls ethernet through high voltage conduit. Ethernet is always passed separately and no conduit is required for low voltage wiring. This is why you'll see low-voltage ethernet being pulled through ceilings, an air plenum, etc.

Rather than attacking the problem with a backhoe or a Ditch Witch, I'd go with a directional wireless setup. directional WiFi antennae are inexpensive and have no problems covering your distance needs.

Mar 22, 2024 at 07:28 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.