Embedded into the RAW file
Something else

Where do you store your keyword data

TJ Asher
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where do you store your keyword data

OK folks,

What is your preference for keyword and various info storage?

Do you embed the data into the RAW file or do you use XMP sidecar files?

Or do you do something else?

I'm in the midst of a massive catalog reorganization and cleanup and this has me curious and hoping I'm not going down the wrong path of using XMP sidecar files.

Cheers!
TJ

Jan 21, 2024 at 05:21 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where do you store your keyword data

What DAM software are you using?

Iím using Capture One and just store the data in its catalog. I can think of at least 2 reasons not to try embedding it in the Raw file:
- Thereís always the possibility that your application messes up when writing to the Raw file (assuming it can even do that), resulting in a corrupt original. And you know as well as me that everythingís going to be fine except for ďTHEĒ image that thereís no way to reproduce and is especially precious.
- Once embedded you [probably] canít delete it. Although you may be able to delete it from your DAM, itíll always be with the Raw file and will likely always be written whenever you decide to include metadata with an exported file. What happens if you want to change the keyword or other metadata?

So far in a number of years of using Capture One, Iíve had no problems working with metadata stored in its database. I assume the same would be the case if using sidecar files with Adobe or other software.

Jan 21, 2024 at 09:52 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where do you store your keyword data

On a Mac I use Finder's Tags to identify locations, people, holidays, etc. I use the color dots to have certain folders/files stand out from the crowd or act as temporary placeholders during a particular project.

Otherwise all my images are converted from the camera's internal naming system to a timestamp upon upload (ID prefix YYYYMMDD_HHMMSSMillisecond) where containing folders are also timestamped (YYYYMMDD), organized by year.

Jan 22, 2024 at 11:54 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.