Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

How do you gain a website security certificate for your home-based photo...

Carmel Nikon

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How do you gain a website security certificate for your home-based photo business?

I'm preparing to start a photography business, and a key element is a website. I learned in running my consulting business the past 4 years how much of a hassle it is to gain a website security certificate when running a business from one's home. I got a UPS mailbox for the business, so I didn't have to list my home address all over the web. However, one can't obtain a website security certificate without a valid physical address, unless one has spent hundreds of $$ listing the business on a Chamber of Commerce or other site (yes, that's what I had to do for my consulting biz). For my new photography venture, I'd prefer not to spend money I haven't made yet for this otherwise useless listing just to get a website security certificate...and am hoping there may be free or low cost ways to do so.

If you've never experienced it, not having a website security certificate means web browsers will give scary messages saying "Dangerous Website, do not proceed" or similar warnings, making your site seem like a criminal haven to a prospective client. Great way to scare away potential business!

For anyone in a similar situation - have you used photography business listings or other ways to validate a home-based photography business (that uses a mailbox address) to gain sufficient legitimacy to secure a website security certificate from entities like Sectigo (that issues the certificates)?

Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance!

Dec 10, 2023 at 08:59 PM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How do you gain a website security certificate for your home-based photo business?

If youíre software savvy, building your own website on a home server is ok, but you have to continually dedicate time to upkeep, security, performance, website customer service, and certificates, etc. In the end, I donít think you save that much time or money over creating a website on something like Wix, SquareSpace, GoDaddy, etc. They all have loads of customizable templates to quickly create and populate your site with your images.

Buy a domaine name that fits your business and use that for your web address, personalized email, etc.

Just something to consider.

Dec 11, 2023 at 08:15 AM
sbay
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How do you gain a website security certificate for your home-based photo business?

If you need a physical address without divulging your home, there are mail reception services that give a street address (in case they reject PO Boxes). Pick a newer service as sometimes the older ones get flagged as a service and rejected.

Edited on Dec 11, 2023 at 10:04 AM · View previous versions

Dec 11, 2023 at 09:58 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How do you gain a website security certificate for your home-based photo business?

story_teller wrote:
If youíre software savvy, building your own website on a home server is ok, but you have to continually dedicate time to upkeep, security, performance, website customer service, and certificates, etc. In the end, I donít think you save that much time or money over creating a website on something like Wix, SquareSpace, GoDaddy, etc. They all have loads of customizable templates to quickly create and populate your site with your images.

Buy a domaine name that fits your business and use that for your web address, personalized email, etc.

Just something to consider.

This. There is absolutely nothing to gain building and maintaining your own codebase/SSL/et al vs using a Squarespace or something similar anymore. Web traffic to a .com is not as important as it used to be and your time would be better used elsewhere.

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:00 AM
Carmel Nikon

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How do you gain a website security certificate for your home-based photo business?

Thank you all for your comments. Regarding building my website (not my question, actually), I did it for my non-photo consulting business, so had assumed I would just copy and paste my approach to a photo one. However, I took a look at Squarespace and am thinking I might take this advice - Squarespace is $17/month more expensive than my current setup, but if it's significantly easier to create and manage, it may very well be worth it. Great advice, thank you!

On my question (how to list my business somewhere so Sectigo can validate my website as legit and issue a security certificate for it), I've run across a few professional association options that appear to offer a listing that might offer a solve. One is Professional Photographers of America. Any opinions for or against the general value it might offer?

Thank you!

Dec 17, 2023 at 01:58 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How do you gain a website security certificate for your home-based photo business?

Iím a PPA member, but havenít used that particular service. PPA is a good resource for photography business subjects, wedding, pet and portrait photographers. They have some resources for commercial and headshot photographers as well. If youíre just starting out, PPA may be something you should consider for a year or two while establishing your new business.

You could also look at ASMP (American Society of Media Professionals). It really depends upon what types of photography you plan to offer.

Personally, I use WIX and have never had a problem with website validity.

Dec 18, 2023 at 08:25 AM
dienliv
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How do you gain a website security certificate for your home-based photo business?

If I'm understanding correctly your key goal is to prevent browsers from displaying "Connection is not secure" or "Not Secure" in bright red before the domain.

The solution is to make sure the URL is forced to start with "https://" instead of "http://" with a valid SSL certificate. All modern hosts offer free SSL that will suffice for basic sites and taking payments via PayPal or similar. If you want to get into the nitty gritty and configure your own check out CloudFlare or letsencrypt.org. Services like PayPal, Square, and Authorize.net don't store the sensitive billing info on your site therefore you aren't asked to be PCI compliant. The billing data transmission is protected between the site visitor's browser and the card processor's SSL.

If you will be processing and storing billing info like Amazon and eBay then you'll have to be PCI complaint which will require an Extended Validation SSL cert. That would be a scenario where you'd need to go through an expensive time consuming process of providing proof that your business is properly registered.

If you simply need browsers to load your site a basic free SSL will work.

Dec 18, 2023 at 04:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How do you gain a website security certificate for your home-based photo business?

Highly recommend Smugmug
https://www.smugmug.com/plans

Squarespace is also good and looks like it's cheaper than Smugmug
https://www.squarespace.com/pricing

Dec 21, 2023 at 11:05 AM
fcarucci
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How do you gain a website security certificate for your home-based photo business?

If you've never experienced it, not having a website security certificate means web browsers will give scary messages saying "Dangerous Website, do not proceed" or similar warnings, making your site seem like a criminal haven to a prospective client. Great way to scare away potential business!

Use Cloudflare to terminate your https connections, generate certificates and handle your domain. It's free. And it also protects against ddos attack.

Carmel Nikon wrote:
I'm preparing to start a photography business, and a key element is a website. I learned in running my consulting business the past 4 years how much of a hassle it is to gain a website security certificate when running a business from one's home. I got a UPS mailbox for the business, so I didn't have to list my home address all over the web. However, one can't obtain a website security certificate without a valid physical address, unless one has spent hundreds of $$ listing the business on a Chamber of Commerce or other site (yes, that's
...Show more

I'm self hosting my music photography website, but it's a TON of work. I would go for established hosting solutions.

Dec 23, 2023 at 10:55 PM
TJ Asher
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How do you gain a website security certificate for your home-based photo business?

You want to look into "Let's Encrypt."

All you really need is a basic SSL Certificate for your website. Let's Encrypt was started by the EFF and is Free. Like totally Free. Many website hosts even allow you to set that up through their systems.

I'm oversimplifying a bit but all you basically need is access to the root of your domain so you can put a specific file they give you at the root so they can check that you have the required admin access and they can issue the cert for your site. Put the certificate file there and you are good to go.

https://letsencrypt.org/

Cheers!
TJ

Jan 08, 2024 at 11:42 PM
newdom
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How do you gain a website security certificate for your home-based photo business?

You don't need a physical address for basic website security certificates (aka SSL certificates) - that's only needed for much higher levels of verification which is totally unnecessary for your needs. The most basic SSL certificates will all get rid of the Danger Will Robinson messages in browser and show as secure websites. They're verified using your email address listed for your domain, or using the domain itself - it's easy, cheap, fast and straight forward. I use Namecheap for domains and SSL certs, they're a very large provider who actually provide a simple, reliable, cheap service.

Jan 18, 2024 at 02:18 AM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How do you gain a website security certificate for your home-based photo business?

I build my own websites but the (free) SSL certificate is provided by my hosting company. I assume they have my address, but I've never had to manually enter an address when setting up the SSL thing for my sites.

Jan 23, 2024 at 03:55 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How do you gain a website security certificate for your home-based photo business?

I think others already said it but I have four websites and they all use SSL certificates issued by Sectigo. I buy them through NameCheap and then install them myself. None of this requires having a physical address.

May 21, 2024 at 07:12 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.