FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

Continuing Saga of AI Generated Art @ State Fair

tntcorp1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Continuing Saga of AI Generated Art @ State Fair

AmbientMike wrote:
Are you OK with someone just coming into your house, taking anything they like that's nicer than theirs? Anything they think they can sell. Someone might like to make your TV their own.....

If not, then don't expect me to be OK if someone steals my online content for their profit.

@AmbientMike

the keyword here is "online" content. unless you're posting and hosting on your own server, your post may be subjected to be used by the hosting site.

assets inside a residence is not opened to the public, so i think it would be trespassing to enter a residence w/out permission.

my point is: ai output is based on a restricted set of non-public content. it's the ai developer who should be responsible for the royalty payment to use such database.

Dec 24, 2023 at 01:07 AM
jforkner
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Continuing Saga of AI Generated Art @ State Fair

story_teller wrote:
My personal view - If you’re enhancing an image some limited modification would be OK...

Exactly where is the "some limited modification" line drawn? And who decides?

Jack

Dec 24, 2023 at 07:49 AM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Continuing Saga of AI Generated Art @ State Fair

chez wrote:
You babbled a lot about meaning but said very little. So what exactly is your view of the meaning of an image. What if the photographer meant to take an image to be processed through some AI to create a fairy tale image…is this OK?

Some of my images I process through Corel Painter to give them a painterly affect. In your view, are you telling me these painterly images are fantasy?

As far as your immature comment about basics of photography…that tells me a lot about you.

When you attack someone, you should expect a response. I have no idea of your skill level, but I did get your attention. Your recent example about the Corel Painter makes a god point. If the story of the image is altered in Corel to the point that it doesn’t reflect the original capture, then it’s fantasy. Personally, I don’t care if you call what you call your works. If I think it’s a representation of the real world, I’ll call it a photo, if not...

Dec 24, 2023 at 08:45 AM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Continuing Saga of AI Generated Art @ State Fair

I had some good discussions with a lot of people about generative AI and photography based on this article. If you're interested, here's the article. I added links to the discussions on other forums.

https://www.robdeloephotography.com/Pages/Generative-AI

A lot of people are thinking about what generative AI will mean for their photography. People who aren't thinking about that are in for a nasty surprise.

Dec 24, 2023 at 09:28 AM
jforkner
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Continuing Saga of AI Generated Art @ State Fair

So what do you do when the AI-versions look better than your actual photos? Just sayin'.

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:21 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Continuing Saga of AI Generated Art @ State Fair

jforkner wrote:
So what do you do when the AI-versions look better than your actual photos? Just sayin'.

I’m sure today there are photos that are better than I can ever achieve. Does not stop me from taking photos as my photos come with the experience I had when taking the photo. The noises, smells, tastes, solitude etc… that just cannot be obtained if you were not there.

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:36 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Continuing Saga of AI Generated Art @ State Fair

story_teller wrote:
Personally, I don’t care if you call what you call your works. If I think it’s a representation of the real world, I’ll call it a photo, if not...

Personally, I don’t care what ‘your’ definition of a photograph is. All photographs are fake representations of the real world. Your camera spits out a fake representation of reality and you start to distort it even more when you make a single change to it on your computer.

Jan 08, 2024 at 01:09 AM
story_teller
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Continuing Saga of AI Generated Art @ State Fair

Imagemaster wrote:
Personally, I don’t care what ‘your’ definition of a photograph is. All photographs are fake representations of the real world. Your camera spits out a fake representation of reality and you start to distort it even more when you make a single change to it on your computer.

Your answer begs the question, why are you even here if you have such distain for photography?

To put a very fine point on it, photography is real enough that it saves countless lives and makes living more comfortable very single day in your “real world”! That type of photography is used in radiology to find tumors, broken bones, diagnose problems with our teeth, etc. It works in a different part of the electromagnetic spectrum, but the process is the same. it started out with film, but is now digital! They even use false color to aid in diagnosis! Then there’s infrared…. Then there’s the James Webb telescope…

You also have the human eye and sight. Some are color blind and don’t see the same colors as others. Some have vision issues and can’t see near or far or have other vision problems. That’s the real world for them. None of us can see the entire electromagnet spectrum, so there’s a lot going on that we can’t see.

Photography actually aids us in seeing more of the real world, but like other technologies, can also be mis-used. Maybe that “fake version of reality” isn’t so bad after all!

Jan 08, 2024 at 08:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Continuing Saga of AI Generated Art @ State Fair

Take a look in a mirror and ask that reflection why you are so opinionated. Quote where I said that I had a disdain for photography, or is that just you making your own incorrect assumptions?

My disdain for photography: Registered: Feb 23, 2004
Total Posts: 53321
Received Likes: 20516

And as for your distain for AI, I guess you have missed all the news as to how it is being used in radiology and other medical applications to make faster and more accurate diagnoses.

I think I will now go out and mis-use my photography by taking some photos and doing whatever post-processing I feel like will give me a final 'image' that I am happy with.

Jan 08, 2024 at 12:37 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Continuing Saga of AI Generated Art @ State Fair

@chez First, if you attack or try to talk down to someone, don’t expect a polite response. It appears I got your attention. That’s good. Second, if your intent is to take a basic image and add fantasy to it, that’s fine. Photos are a great start to a fantasy image. If you’re looking for strict definitions, good luck. This is all grey area. If you can’t understand my intent, that’s a personal problem I can’t help you with. Get off your holier than thou attitude and we can have a decent conversation!

Jan 09, 2024 at 07:34 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Continuing Saga of AI Generated Art @ State Fair

story_teller wrote:
@chez@ First, if you attack or try to talk down to someone, don’t expect a polite response. It appears I got your attention. That’s good. Second, if your intent is to take a basic image and add fantasy to it, that’s fine. Photos are a great start to a fantasy image. If you’re looking for strict definitions, good luck. This is all grey area. If you can’t understand my intent, that’s a personal problem I can’t help you with. Get off your holier than thou attitude and we can have a decent conversation!

Speaking of holier than thou…please reread your first post in this thread. Seems to me someone needs to look in the mirror.

Jan 09, 2024 at 03:12 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Continuing Saga of AI Generated Art @ State Fair

In my first post you forgot to read the first two words. “I think”. Newsflash chief, that means personal opinion, not gospel. Contrary to your wish that everyone bow before your alter, we can and will continue to have and express opinions on this forum. As for you and Corel Painter, whatever you do behind closed doors is your business!

Feel free to have the last word on this if it will some semblance of victory.

Jan 09, 2024 at 06:40 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Continuing Saga of AI Generated Art @ State Fair

story_teller wrote:
In my first post you forgot to read the first two words. “I think”. Newsflash chief, that means personal opinion, not gospel. Contrary to your wish that everyone bow before your alter, we can and will continue to have and express opinions on this forum. As for you and Corel Painter, whatever you do behind closed doors is your business!

Feel free to have the last word on this if it will some semblance of victory.

No, I'll let some of your words from this thread to be the last I have to say. They say much about you.

"keyboard pilots"

Why learn a skill when a few strokes on a keyboard can provide the same result?

Once you get a little further in the basics of photography, we can continue the discussion of “meaning".

why are you even here if you have such distain for photography?

Jan 09, 2024 at 07:48 PM
mike reid
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Continuing Saga of AI Generated Art @ State Fair

Great article Rob, allows me to ignore all the fur flying in this thread.

Feb 10, 2024 at 02:22 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Continuing Saga of AI Generated Art @ State Fair

mike reid wrote:
Great article Rob, allows me to ignore all the fur flying in this thread.

Thanks Mike. There were good discussions in the threads on GetDPI and DPReview that I linked to in that article. Some fur flew around too. But lots of thoughtful photographers who are trying to figuring it out for themselves participated.

Feb 11, 2024 at 10:47 AM
mike reid
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Continuing Saga of AI Generated Art @ State Fair

For myself, I am deleting all Instagram and Twitter posts. I deleted my FB acct years ago. Probably too late but its something and anything new gets put through Nightshade.

Feb 15, 2024 at 11:42 AM
1              end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.