New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

High-end destination photography

atnpro
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · High-end destination photography

I read on Bloomberg that high-end destination photogs are charging $605 hourly rate right now. Isn't this great?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-07-12/what-a-flying-dress-photo-shoot-costs-in-santorini-montego-bay

Jul 13, 2023 at 06:28 AM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · High-end destination photography

If that was $605 after everything was paid, it would be great. Unfortunately, that's not how it usually works. On a shoot you'll probably have to pay an assistant or two, possibly hair/makeup, maybe permits, parking, Then there are the usual business expenses that have to be paid out of your sales income - equipment, insurance for equipment loss, liability insurance, business licenses, taxes, computers and software, printers, telephones, advertising, social media/website, etc. For every hour of shooting, you'll have some post processing and retouching time that dilutes the $605/hour rate. After all that you can keep what's left! (lol)

Jul 14, 2023 at 08:47 AM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · High-end destination photography

story_teller wrote:
If that was $605 after everything was paid, it would be great. Unfortunately, that's not how it usually works. On a shoot you'll probably have to pay an assistant or two, possibly hair/makeup, maybe permits, parking, Then there are the usual business expenses that have to be paid out of your sales income - equipment, insurance for equipment loss, liability insurance, business licenses, taxes, computers and software, printers, telephones, advertising, social media/website, etc. For every hour of shooting, you'll have some post processing and retouching time that dilutes the $605/hour rate. After all that you can keep what's left! (lol)

There are expenses, for sure, but the article does mention that the photog charges clients extra for some of them like client transportation, makeup and hair styling, and a personal assistant "to help toss the dressís train in the air", taking a single shoot's total price to as much as Ä1,500... and they reportedly do up to eight of those a day, which sounds pretty lucrative albeit probably for a limited season and no doubt a limited time once the fad for "flying dress" images wanes. Still, if I could pull in sales of a half million bucks in a few months each year, even if only for a few years, I'd be happy

Jul 17, 2023 at 01:36 PM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · High-end destination photography

wordfool wrote:
There are expenses, for sure, but the article does mention that the photog charges clients extra for some of them like client transportation, makeup and hair styling, and a personal assistant "to help toss the dressís train in the air", taking a single shoot's total price to as much as Ä1,500... and they reportedly do up to eight of those a day, which sounds pretty lucrative albeit probably for a limited season and no doubt a limited time once the fad for "flying dress" images wanes. Still, if I could pull in sales of a half million bucks in a
...Show more

You and me both!

Jul 20, 2023 at 06:41 AM
mschaferstudio

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · High-end destination photography

I have a friend, whos client is flying them in and then pay day rates. I guess it all depends and Bloomberg reporters don't know everything. The main question we don't ask as freelance photographers, how much will AI cut into our work and reduce compensation.Just sayin':
https://petapixel.com/2023/07/14/the-first-ever-ai-generated-magazine-cover-shoot-sparks-controversy/

This will be serious and I'm happy to be part of IATSE/Local 600 on this...

Aug 04, 2023 at 07:48 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.