New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

distance from camera to object

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · distance from camera to object

Hi, is there any way to find out how far was the camera to the object , just by looking at the photo file info?

Jul 02, 2023 at 07:04 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · distance from camera to object

Many cameras provide distance info in the EXIF data, but it is often not very granular (only a few bits) or accurate. I suggest using a laser rangefinder for meaningful distance.

EBH

Jul 02, 2023 at 07:48 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · distance from camera to object

EB-1 wrote:
Many cameras provide distance info in the EXIF data, but it is often not very granular (only a few bits) or accurate. I suggest using a laser rangefinder for meaningful distance.

EBH

Thanks.
I like wild life. Quite often, seeing an excellent image of bird, I wonder how far the bird was from the camera. I look at the file info, but there is no way I can find this info. I wish I could!

Jul 02, 2023 at 08:26 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · distance from camera to object

nugeny wrote:
Thanks.
I like wild life. Quite often, seeing an excellent image of bird, I wonder how far the bird was from the camera. I look at the file info, but there is no way I can find this info. I wish I could!

You could "do the math".

If you know the size of the bird species, and the focal length used ... the size of the bird in the frame / relative portion of the frame, you could figure out the approximate distance.

Mar 07, 2024 at 07:58 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.