New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Mountain Girl

charley5
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mountain Girl

Congratulations to charley5 for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 11 votes - View Previous Winners

I visited a remote mountain village in Himachal Pradesh, India, where I met this young girl. She had an endearing smile. The views were spectacular, as the image suggests.

-Charles

Jun 06, 2023 at 08:54 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mountain Girl

Charles,
She indeed has a beautiful smile and bare feet!!!!

I posted a photo awhile back of 2 Montagnard girls seeing their 1st American in 1968.
While there was not the engaging smile, the timidness of the younger sister and the curiosity of the elder sister had to take that shot with an Instamatic.

The indigenous peoples of SE Asia were almost 100% barefoot at this time.

I always wondered about sharp objects and such.

Again wonderful engaging image!
Dan

Jun 06, 2023 at 12:37 PM
Dave_E
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mountain Girl

A beautiful image, wonderful smile.

Dave

Jun 06, 2023 at 02:48 PM
bcguy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mountain Girl

What a warm, modest smile she has. Very beautiful!

Jun 06, 2023 at 03:23 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mountain Girl

Charley, your processing is top notch!
Douglas

Jun 07, 2023 at 06:33 AM
charley5
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mountain Girl

Danpbphoto wrote:
Charles,
She indeed has a beautiful smile and bare feet!!!!

I posted a photo awhile back of 2 Montagnard girls seeing their 1st American in 1968.
While there was not the engaging smile, the timidness of the younger sister and the curiosity of the elder sister had to take that shot with an Instamatic.

The indigenous peoples of SE Asia were almost 100% barefoot at this time.

I always wondered about sharp objects and such.

Again wonderful engaging image!
Dan

Dan, yours is a classic shot. It says so much if one reads between the lines. The fact that they were barefoot to me just shows how much more in touch with planet earth the indigenous people are.

-Charles

Jun 07, 2023 at 08:30 AM
charley5
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mountain Girl

Dave_E wrote:
A beautiful image, wonderful smile.

Dave

Thanks a bunch, Dave. She had such a sweet and innocent smile, untouched by modern society and all its complexities.

-Charles

Jun 07, 2023 at 08:31 AM
charley5
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mountain Girl

douter wrote:
Charley, your processing is top notch!
Douglas

Thanks a bunch, Douglas. I really appreciate that!

-Charles

Jun 07, 2023 at 08:32 AM
charley5
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mountain Girl

bcguy wrote:
What a warm, modest smile she has. Very beautiful!

She had an air of innocence about her. You really see how uncomplicated and more pure this sort of life is!

-Charles

Jun 07, 2023 at 08:33 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mountain Girl

charley5 wrote:
Dan, yours is a classic shot. It says so much if one reads between the lines. The fact that they were barefoot to me just shows how much more in touch with planet earth the indigenous people are.

-Charles

Thank You Charles!
It was a surreal experience for my team. Our translator spoke at length to the 2 young girls and they led us to the village elder. The village is in our right rear.

I told this story before but I used my ration card to buy cigarettes, liquor, candy, and "womanly things" and presented them to the village elder as a sign of friendship as well as the courtesy of letting us pass through his "property" without a confrontation. All over the area of operations I was working in and/or Country at the time.

It worked 100% of my 2 years in SE Asia. We were always welcomed and spent some time drinking their "village brew". It was nasty stuff! It was fermented in the ground and with a liquid I wilI not disclose what is was, “Ba Moui Ba”(not the real beer) learned how to pretend to drink without swallowing. So as not to offend the elder or his wife. The wife of the elder was especially kind and especially nasty if we did NOT present her with a "gift". She came 1st.

Just some blabbing about people meeting a people never seen before. Yes they had seen French soldiers but no Americans.
Thanks!
Dan

Jun 07, 2023 at 09:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

charley5
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mountain Girl

Danpbphoto wrote:
Thank You Charles!
It was a surreal experience for my team. Our translator spoke at length to the 2 young girls and they led us to the village elder. The village is in our right rear.

I told this story before but I used my ration card to buy cigarettes, liquor, candy, and "womanly things" and presented them to the village elder as a sign of friendship as well as the courtesy of letting us pass through his "property" without a confrontation. All over the area of operations I was working in and/or Country at the time.

It worked 100% of my 2
...Show more

I always love your stories, Dan! Thankfully, I am not in a war zone here. Mountain people are naturally friendly, particularly when I supply them with prints a few days later. Then they always welcome me back.

-Charles

Jun 07, 2023 at 09:56 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mountain Girl

charley5 wrote:
I always love your stories, Dan! Thankfully, I am not in a war zone here. Mountain people are naturally friendly, particularly when I supply them with prints a few days later. Then they always welcome me back.

-Charles

The Hmongs and Monty's were always friendly when paid respect. They had been colonized by so many Country's and hated by the Chinese.

I learned my preface to the story from my mentor upon arriving in SE Asia. He was an Inuit eskimo. A seal tracker. He taught me how to "see" without looking.
I carried all of his teachings through 40 years of federal service also.

Jun 07, 2023 at 10:13 AM
charley5
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mountain Girl

Danpbphoto wrote:
The Hmongs and Monty's were always friendly when paid respect. They had been colonized by so many Country's and hated by the Chinese.

I learned my preface to the story from my mentor upon arriving in SE Asia. He was an Inuit eskimo. A seal tracker. He taught me how to "see" without looking.
I carried all of his teachings through 40 years of federal service also.

So interesting to see without looking. One has to drop a lifetime of looking, and bring in something far more subtle.

-Charles

Jun 07, 2023 at 10:17 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mountain Girl

charley5 wrote:
So interesting to see without looking. One has to drop a lifetime of looking, and bring in something far more subtle.

-Charles

The human senses can become a litany of non primary areas of use.
Thanks Charles!
Dan

Jun 08, 2023 at 09:34 AM
Zeno973

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mountain Girl

Such an innocent shot.

Jul 04, 2023 at 11:22 AM
charley5
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mountain Girl

Zeno973 wrote:
Such an innocent shot.

Indeed. There is a purity there.

-Charles

Jul 04, 2023 at 11:27 AM
newyork
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mountain Girl

Phenomenal

Jul 06, 2023 at 05:54 AM
charley5
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mountain Girl

newyork wrote:
Phenomenal

Thanks!

Jul 06, 2023 at 06:50 AM
Jim Dockery
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Mountain Girl

Beautiful, both girl and your photo.

Jul 06, 2023 at 07:57 AM
obudu

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Mountain Girl

Very beautiful smile. So innocent!

Jul 06, 2023 at 06:47 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.