Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2023 · Mamiya 645DF & Leaf 22 bdigital back... should I get it?

bres dad

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mamiya 645DF & Leaf 22 bdigital back... should I get it?

Hope this is the right group (if not please move), but long story short a Mamiya 645DF, Leaf 22 digital back & a few lenses have popped up locally for sale. I've always been fascinated with medium format & had the pleasure of using a Pentax 645z for awhile.

I do primariy landscape & night photography (cityscapes, some light painting), static still life studio stuff & occasionally some portraits, so I usually don't require a fast camera. I'm very tempted to grab this, if the numbers work & if this actually makes sense...

The two things that draw me to this are 1) more of a 'full frame' medium format vs. 'cropped' medium format of current Pentax & Fuji offerings and more improtantly, the 22mp CCD sensor. I've often heard people say they like what comes out of a CCD sensor over a CMOS sensor, looking at people that have used both the Pentax 645D (40mp CCD) & 645z (51mp CMOS) and my personal experience with a Nikon D-70 (if I remember correctly) & it's CCD. I know this is a 15+ year old set up and much slower in about every aspect of a newer camera, but for what it would be used for that wouldn't be a problem. Just trying to figure out if it would a worthwhile move. Thoughts from people that have used a similar set up?

Jun 05, 2023 at 03:32 PM
fgphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mamiya 645DF & Leaf 22 bdigital back... should I get it?

If it will make you happy and meet your needs, get it! Sometimes using a new camera or new format is just fun and can boost creativity.

Jun 06, 2023 at 06:16 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mamiya 645DF & Leaf 22 bdigital back... should I get it?

I can't imagine pouring money into such an old and very limited resolution camera unless you just have a hankering to do so and have enough mad money laying around to play with. I've shot with medium format CCD systems (Phase) and CMOS from Phase and Fuji and really do not see any advantage to the older CCD unless you love noisy shadows. The files I'm getting from the GFX100s are the best I've had from any digital camera I've ever used and other than having an overly complicated menu system, I couldn't be happier, and that 33x44mm format really does feel like I'm shooting with a medium format even though it's technically smaller than the RZ67's I used to use back in the film days. Of course, a new Fuji or Hasselblad plus a few lenses is no small investment although a lot smaller than buying a new Phase.

Jun 09, 2023 at 05:05 AM
engel001
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mamiya 645DF & Leaf 22 bdigital back... should I get it?

On the positive side, your use scenario except probably for nightscapes would be an excellent fit. I personally like the idea and have used a similar fat pixel Phase One P25 (on Contax 645).

This article will give you a taste of what to expect: https://www.joerivanveen.com/blog/leaf-aptus-22-review/

In regards to Capture One, it appears that all historic digital backs continue to be supported except for Firewire teathering/live view. Details are here: https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002718118-Camera-models-and-RAW-files-supported-by-Capture-One#h_ddd0dc1a-39f3-4847-bd8b-af31eab516a4

You just need to realize the risks of catastrophic equipment failure, a slow workflow, ISO 25 to maximally 100, a poor screen, and lack of a resale value, i.e. potentially a total loss.

Jun 10, 2023 at 11:13 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.