New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

No new lenses from Zeiss?

modlin

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · No new lenses from Zeiss?

It has been a while since Zeiss came out with Milvus and Otus lines...
Are they pulling out from that segment of business?...
What to think about that 'dry' spell?

May 06, 2023 at 08:16 AM
Malabito
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · No new lenses from Zeiss?

I also wonder the same, but as good as their lenses are they are already old designed and have been mostly replaced by voigtlander at least on m mount, i dont rememeber the last time someone told me they bought a new zeiss m lens, people buy them used or go for voigtlander if they don't want to spend tons of $$$ on leica.

May 06, 2023 at 09:15 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · No new lenses from Zeiss?

The current Voigtlander lenses seem better built and finished, are optically superb and cheaper than the equivalent Zeiss (also built by Cosina but to older design specs).
Plus they maintain a level of excitement by bringing out new or improved designs. The last new ZM lens I think was the 35 Distagon which came out 10 years ago.

From phillipreeve.net:

Since the introduction of this Zeiss ZM 35mm 1.4 in 2014 many compelling 35mm lenses have been released for M-mount. Back in the day I didn’t have an M-mount camera, but this has changed and – for me personally – I would also consider this lens to be too big and too heavy for regular use on an M-mount camera.

I also think this Zeiss ZM 35mm 1.4 is priced too high compared to the new Voigtländer lenses. For the price of this lens you can get the Voigtländer VM 35mm 1.2 III and the Voigtländer VM 35mm 2.0 Apo-Lanthar, ending up with one lens that is faster and has nicer bokeh and another lens with impeccable image quality from f/2.0.

I also put my money where my mouth is: I sold this lens when better options for E-mount became available and when I want to use a high quality 35mm lens on my M-mount cameras I pick the Voigtländer VM 35mm 1.2 III.

I have the Distagon - bought it several years ago - but pretty much never use it for the reasons mentioned above. The one upside is I bought it used, so the price to me has remained constant.

May 06, 2023 at 11:00 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · No new lenses from Zeiss?

Zeiss made the decision to halt all camera and lens developments following the resounding success of their ZEISS ZX1 camera, in order to provide an opportunity for other brands to catch up.

May 06, 2023 at 11:08 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · No new lenses from Zeiss?

I wonder if there would be interest in a line of weather sealed M lenses + weather sealed M adapters. I can't think of any other way for Zeiss to differentiate themselves with a new ZM line. I would be interested in a weather sealed M lens and M to L adapter. That's the only negative for me when shooting my SL2-S with M lenses.

May 06, 2023 at 11:18 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · No new lenses from Zeiss?

modlin wrote:
It has been a while since Zeiss came out with Milvus and Otus lines...
Are they pulling out from that segment of business?...
What to think about that 'dry' spell?

It appears Zeiss has shifted to camera lens development and supply for smart phone cameras for some time now. Apparently they are still doing well sales wise with Zeiss Cinema lens systems.

May 06, 2023 at 12:10 PM
panos.v
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · No new lenses from Zeiss?

Voigtlander has a lens to suit every need on the planet right now. You want old school looks and new rendering? Done. New look, old rendering? Yup. Old look, old rendering? Sure. New look, new rendering? Yes yes of course! Some bonkers look and bizarre rendering that makes no sense? Yeah we have that too.

So I'm guessing Zeiss has given up and maybe even Cosina has no capacity for yet nore lenses either. Personally I liked the SLR stuff but for the ZM line (tried 21C, 25, 28, 35/2, 50/2, 50/1.5) I found that the only one really worth talking about is the 50/1.5 and the 21/4.5 C, which of course doesn't work with colour cameras. All the others are either too big for what they are, too expensive or just not really anything interesting. Don't get me wrong, they are all very good lenses but Voigtlander has them covered just as well at a lower price.

May 06, 2023 at 12:17 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · No new lenses from Zeiss?

I’m just glad no-one has brought up Zeiss wobble in this thread.

May 06, 2023 at 03:28 PM
modlin

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · No new lenses from Zeiss?

panos.v wrote:
Voigtlander has a lens to suit every need on the planet right now. You want old school looks and new rendering? Done. New look, old rendering? Yup. Old look, old rendering? Sure. New look, new rendering? Yes yes of course! Some bonkers look and bizarre rendering that makes no sense? Yeah we have that too.

So I'm guessing Zeiss has given up and maybe even Cosina has no capacity for yet nore lenses either. Personally I liked the SLR stuff but for the ZM line (tried 21C, 25, 28, 35/2, 50/2, 50/1.5) I found that the only one really worth talking
...Show more

Voigtlander has a lens to suit every need on the planet right now....
EF mount as well?

I should had mentioned that I was thinking more about standard mounts vs M/Leica..but that's ok

May 06, 2023 at 07:22 PM
PhilH
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · No new lenses from Zeiss?

I ran into a few folks at Zeiss at NAB this year. It's true they haven't released anything "new" since 2019.

But they hinted at something around the end of the year. As to what exactly, fairly vague.

May 06, 2023 at 09:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · No new lenses from Zeiss?

PhilH wrote:
I ran into a few folks at Zeiss at NAB this year. It's true they haven't released anything "new" since 2019.

But they hinted at something around the end of the year. As to what exactly, fairly vague.

New Zeiss lens wipes?

May 06, 2023 at 09:46 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · No new lenses from Zeiss?

I think their primary problem in the stills market is all the co/rebranding efforts led to a diluted brand. Sony's quality control issues on the last of their cobrands and then switching over to their own premium label with modern designs that handily outperform the ZAs certainly hurt Zeiss in the marketplace. Tamron's Batis line has mostly strong performers, and they have a deserved fandom, but the premium price and relatively modest specs keep that fandom niche these days. The same thing happened with the Fuji-produced Touits and, to a lesser degree, the Loxias (as they were always going to be a niche sell). There are some strong, fine lenses in those various designs, but a lack of consistency in overall design goals (both physical and optical) probably leaves a lot of consumers who don't frequent gear boards wondering what the hell a Zeiss lens is.

Second, no one cared about the Milvus releases. There was the bad timing with an already depressed market making a quick transition to mirrorless, compounded by their choice to push down big cine lens designs into bloated housings where even models not getting fresh designs gained significant bulk and weight. It all felt like a huge and potentially costly misread of the market. If I'm right about that, then they may have lost their appetite to continue catering to DSLR mounts.

Third, I don't think either Zeiss or Cosina expected the ZM line to last this long beyond production of the Ikon. They're designed for film with the exception of one lens, and that one lens people seem to fall out of love with as quickly as they fall in. I don't think that's inspired either company to push forward with more digital-era designs. The lenses still in production obviously sell well enough to remain so. I think, for both companies, the line is a cow unexpectedly still producing milk past its prime. As long as it's productive and doesn't require special attention, it lives.

Fourth, the real money's in cine lenses, and that has their focus.

May 07, 2023 at 12:12 AM
PhilH
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · No new lenses from Zeiss?

If I was Zeiss, I would pursue a hybrid route somewhat similar to Milvus and Otus for mirrorless mounts. Cater to both still and motion if possible. Now that Canon is licensing RF compatibility hopefully that can open the gate for them.

During my time as a Zeiss Ambassador I was pushing hard for Otus to continue on with hopes of a 5 lens set. I more or less have confirmation that isn't happening as of a couple years ago. But a trio of 28, 55, 85, with the additional fourth 100mm is a nice set on FF35/135. Just was hoping for a 21 and perhaps something in the 35-45 range.

It would be interesting to see what a mirrorless set of Otus primes might look like. Perhaps look harder at the designs. There still really isn't anything like the 55mm f/1.4 really. But I think they have a lot of compact lenses like Touit or even Batis that would translate well to RF if that works out and that would be an easy path to new sales, but likely not the most exciting route. I do enjoy a few of those on my Sony bodies. Particularly the 40mm f/2 close focus.

My investment in Zeiss glass spans both still and motion picture lenses. I wouldn't mind a refresh and perhaps new take on the excellent CZs. I've filmed with them for years and love the images off them. However, /i data or XD would be a welcome addition as well as more generous and purpose designed for a slightly larger image circle.

Cinema has been their focus for a hot minute though, as mentioned above. It would be interesting to see if they are going to slot another set of primes, zooms, or perhaps go rogue to dabble in anamorphic. Cinema is a wild space right now for lens manufacturers. Zeiss certainly has been targeting rental houses, production companies, and the occasional DP with Supremes. CP.3s are moving well from what I see in the market, likely due to their size and weight + lens data in these modern times. I could see a new consistent T2-ish set, somewhat similar to the Elsie's from Leitz perhaps being an appealing direction if they get the IQ and look right. But this is all guessing until there's even a whiff of what they are doing.

May 07, 2023 at 02:39 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · No new lenses from Zeiss?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Zeiss made the decision to halt all camera and lens developments following the resounding success of their ZEISS ZX1 camera, in order to provide an opportunity for other brands to catch up.

Has anyone bought one yet? Does anyone remember a camera launched by a major player in the industry that failed to get a single forum person to buy one?

What a catastrophic failure for Zeiss.

May 07, 2023 at 05:24 AM
Ripolini
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · No new lenses from Zeiss?

freaklikeme wrote:
... no one cared about the Milvus releases. There was the bad timing with an already depressed market making a quick transition to mirrorless, compounded by their choice to push down big cine lens designs into bloated housings where even models not getting fresh designs gained significant bulk and weight.

I own four ZF/ZF.2 "Classic" lenses, and really dislike the size, weight and look of Milvus lenses.

Few days ago Zeiss started a cash-back promotion, running till the end of July. I guess their sale volumes are not that good.
https://cashback.zeiss.com/en/start

May 07, 2023 at 08:49 AM
modlin

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · No new lenses from Zeiss?

PhilH wrote:
If I was Zeiss, I would pursue a hybrid route somewhat similar to Milvus and Otus for mirrorless mounts. Cater to both still and motion if possible. Now that Canon is licensing RF compatibility hopefully that can open the gate for them.

During my time as a Zeiss Ambassador I was pushing hard for Otus to continue on with hopes of a 5 lens set. I more or less have confirmation that isn't happening as of a couple years ago. But a trio of 28, 55, 85, with the additional fourth 100mm is a nice set on FF35/135. Just was hoping
...Show more

1.general response to select posters:"whistle and the wolves will howl"
2.I am using Otus/Milvus/Classic on a MIRROLESS SL2. Otus 55. 135/2. 21/2.8 100M/2...nothing wrong with those

May 07, 2023 at 09:19 AM
RustyRus
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · No new lenses from Zeiss?

Is there really a strong market for them anymore? Take Sony for example. The primes and zooms they are spinning out are incredible. No real reason to look anywhere else unless you want to save some money. In comes Sigma/Tamron etc. Who are also putting out some very nice optics.

So the AF market for amazing AF glass is pretty well covered.

Let’s talk MF….Voigtlander is putting out some amazing stuff on the MF side of the house for both character and clinical sharpness. All at extremely reasonable price points.

Where would Zeiss slot in here? Not sure the juice is worth it anymore for them.

May 07, 2023 at 10:34 AM
BastianK
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · No new lenses from Zeiss?

RustyRus wrote:
Where would Zeiss slot in here? Not sure the juice is worth it anymore for them.

Don't underestimate the value of a reknown brand name.
If a Leica 90mm 2.2 Thambar was an AstrHori or a 7Artisans Thambar with same exact image quality and mechanical quality no one would pay even $200 for it, with a red Leica dot it can be sold for $6000 though.
The Tamron designed Batis lenses are also a very good example of this.
Show me someone that would pay $1500 for a Tamron 18mm 2.8 SP.

Marketing and product design decisions for photography equipment at Zeiss simply weren't that great.
And they make way more money elsewhere, so from a business PoV I can see them abandoning that
branch altogether rather than taking additional risk.

May 07, 2023 at 10:48 AM
RustyRus
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · No new lenses from Zeiss?

BastianK wrote:
Don't underestimate the value of a reknown brand name.
If a Leica 90mm 2.2 Thambar was an AstrHori or a 7Artisans Thambar with same exact image quality and mechanical quality no one would pay even $200 for it, with a red Leica dot it can be sold for $6000 though.
The Tamron designed Batis lenses are also a very good example of this.
Show me someone that would pay $1500 for a Tamron 18mm 2.8 SP.

Marketing and product design decisions for photography equipment at Zeiss simply weren't that great.
And they make way more money elsewhere, so from a business PoV I can see
...Show more

So I agree they have a great brand but Leica is still relevant and making amazing products. Zeiss won’t have that if they jump back into the market. They will try and relive what they did 15 years ago which may not resonant with todays market of 40 something’s dropping coin on photography gear (me).

May 07, 2023 at 11:17 AM
roofdweller49
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · No new lenses from Zeiss?

I guess people weren't willing to put up with large size lenses for a bump in image quality

Seems that there hasn't been a Sony Zeiss in a while either

I'm curious if they're gonna bite the bullet and discontinue all the slr lenses and do mirroless designs

May 10, 2023 at 01:15 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.