New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2023 · A Distinguished Gentleman

DanielScott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Distinguished Gentleman

Congratulations to DanielScott for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 6 votes - View Previous Winners

I've posted a couple of photos from this shoot here previously, but those photos represent a problem that I tend to have with shoots I do with my friends: I tend to get excited about one or two particular shots from a shoot, will edit them right after the shoot, and then my short attention span causes me to overlook a lot of the rest of the until several weeks later. I had initially overlooked this photo from that shoot, but I'm glad I finally took the time to cull through the rest of them because otherwise I'd have missed this shot, which ended up being my favorite one from the shoot.

Canon 5D MKIII, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 lens.
To view the entire image, just click on it to activate the site's gallery mode, which will automatically fit it to your display size.

Mar 08, 2023 at 09:16 PM
tschopp
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Distinguished Gentleman

Daniel, I've always been impressed by your portraits. Same with this one, I'm not sure what exactly I like about it, maybe the expression, the eyes just draw your attention.

I'm very much a noob, but trying to learn. Do you know what f stop this was shot at? Also, I'm curious what you do for your edits? Would you be comfortable showing the image as shot for comparison?

Mar 08, 2023 at 11:38 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Distinguished Gentleman

tschopp wrote:
Daniel, I've always been impressed by your portraits. Same with this one, I'm not sure what exactly I like about it, maybe the expression, the eyes just draw your attention.

I'm very much a noob, but trying to learn. Do you know what f stop this was shot at? Also, I'm curious what you do for your edits? Would you be comfortable showing the image as shot for comparison?

Thank you. I think it's the eyes and the expression for me as well, and I feel that this portrait shows some of Vinnie's essence, so to speak. I seem to be able to do this with my friends much more easily than I am with clients and most models.

This was shot at f/11, 1/125th sec, ISO 125. For my black and white edits I use a Curves adjustment layer and a Black and White adjustment layer in Photoshop. I usually add some variation of an "S" curve with the Curves adjustment layer, and I make adjustments to the yellow and red sliders in the Black and White adjustment layer until the skin tone suits my liking. For skin editing I use a form of dodging and burning, also in Photoshop, and general skin and clothing cleanup by using the Spot Healing Brush tool in Photoshop. All of this is done by hand using a Wacom Intuos graphic tablet for better precision.

Edited on Mar 11, 2024 at 11:30 PM · View previous versions

Mar 09, 2023 at 01:46 AM
tschopp
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Distinguished Gentleman

Wow, the cleanup in the hat is amazing, I never expected that. And the effect it has on the image, just so much more put together. The details you pull out of the skin, adds a ruggedness that contrasts with the refinement in the hat.

Did you have to do anything about the blue in the shirt near the buttons or did that just go away in the B&W conversion?

Thanks for sharing!!

Mar 09, 2023 at 02:16 AM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Distinguished Gentleman

Some very nice work!

Mar 09, 2023 at 08:33 AM
mikeshi

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Distinguished Gentleman

Even the hair on the brim was fixed. Perfect.

Mar 09, 2023 at 06:31 PM
Ross Martin
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Distinguished Gentleman

I'm digging the Old West vibe on this, nicely done Daniel!

Mar 09, 2023 at 07:00 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A Distinguished Gentleman

Daniel, being folically challenged, I love hats of this style. Very dapper on the right person!
The b/w is wonderful! His expression commends the hat! Or vice versa. Serious, unassuming lighted great for my eyes!
Again well done.
Dan

Mar 10, 2023 at 12:05 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A Distinguished Gentleman

tschopp wrote:
Wow, the cleanup in the hat is amazing, I never expected that. And the effect it has on the image, just so much more put together. The details you pull out of the skin, adds a ruggedness that contrasts with the refinement in the hat.

Did you have to do anything about the blue in the shirt near the buttons or did that just go away in the B&W conversion?

Thanks for sharing!!

Thank you. Yeah, it's about time I add another lint roller to my gear bag. I ran out of the tape on mine recently and haven't replaced it yet. I'd much rather deal with it before taking the picture, though I still tend to do some cleanup on clothing regardless.

I didn't have to do anything with the blue near the buttons, though I likely would if I were to make a color version.

Mar 11, 2023 at 05:34 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A Distinguished Gentleman

story_teller wrote:
Some very nice work!

Thank you so much!

Mar 11, 2023 at 05:34 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A Distinguished Gentleman

mikeshi wrote:
Even the hair on the brim was fixed. Perfect.

It's the little details that make a big difference. Thanks for looking and commenting.

Mar 11, 2023 at 07:19 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A Distinguished Gentleman

Ross Martin wrote:
I'm digging the Old West vibe on this, nicely done Daniel!

Thank you Ross.

Mar 12, 2023 at 02:05 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A Distinguished Gentleman

Danpbphoto wrote:
Daniel, being folically challenged, I love hats of this style. Very dapper on the right person!
The b/w is wonderful! His expression commends the hat! Or vice versa. Serious, unassuming lighted great for my eyes!
Again well done.
Dan

Thank you Dan!

Mar 15, 2023 at 02:19 AM
Bill Gass
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A Distinguished Gentleman

Excellent shot and work, very nice job.
Sharp looking man as well.

Mar 16, 2023 at 04:53 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A Distinguished Gentleman

Bill Gass wrote:
Excellent shot and work, very nice job.
Sharp looking man as well.

Thanks a lot Bill.

Mar 17, 2023 at 04:11 PM
macentropist
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A Distinguished Gentleman

Daniel,

The B-W image at top is top notch, very moody, and fantastic lighting. Outstanding! Even though i have transitioned to an almost full R setup, i still keep my 5D Mk III, it is a hell of a fine camera, and will be for years as it is too priceless to sell, and i have done such fine work with it over the years. I keep the Ef 135mm f2 married to mine.

Regards,

Brian

Mar 22, 2023 at 07:47 AM
newyork
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A Distinguished Gentleman

That is incredible! Amazing work sir!

Mar 22, 2023 at 06:39 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A Distinguished Gentleman

macentropist wrote:
Daniel,

The B-W image at top is top notch, very moody, and fantastic lighting. Outstanding! Even though i have transitioned to an almost full R setup, i still keep my 5D Mk III, it is a hell of a fine camera, and will be for years as it is too priceless to sell, and i have done such fine work with it over the years. I keep the Ef 135mm f2 married to mine.

Regards,

Brian

Thank you so much Brian. I really do love my 5D MKIII. It has been a very welcome upgrade from my previous Original 5D which turned 17 last year before I finally retired it, though I had only been using it for the last 11 years. That's a camera I definitely won't be getting rid of, and same with the MKIII. Both are amazing cameras.

Mar 24, 2023 at 12:47 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A Distinguished Gentleman

newyork wrote:
That is incredible! Amazing work sir!

Thank you so much.

Mar 24, 2023 at 12:48 AM
Tariqie

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A Distinguished Gentleman

Very well done.

May 11, 2023 at 01:41 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.