Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5              7       end
  

Archive 2022 · MS-Optics Apollon 36mm f1.3 (Leica M-mount)

  
 
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · MS-Optics Apollon 36mm f1.3 (Leica M-mount)


Interesting Fred. I am finding it very similar. Unless the lighting is soft and quite controlled, I don't use it WO. And I have pretty high tolerance/appreciation for character glass. I find I usually reach for my 35 Lux Pre-Asph instead. Here's one of my old dog trying to wait for the mailman but falling asleep. I guess if I didn't have a 35 Lux Pre-ASPH, I would be more excited about it.

I do like it though. I found it has good sunstars stopped down, but the flare resistance usually make the photos unusable for me so it's a moot point.
































Oct 26, 2023 at 04:30 PM
j.liam
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · MS-Optics Apollon 36mm f1.3 (Leica M-mount)


nehemiahphoto wrote:
Hmm, not really sure. I mean, depends on each shooters budget and preferences. It's a character lens...so it's just kind of if you like it/if you don't type vibe to me.

What are you tastes? What kind of character 35mm's or 50mm's do you like?



I do love ‘character’; the 35 Summaron ƒ/2.8 is what I reach for when I shoot my Monochrom. The lack of any clarity and definition wide open…matter of taste and aesthetic.



Oct 26, 2023 at 07:12 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · MS-Optics Apollon 36mm f1.3 (Leica M-mount)


nehemiahphoto wrote:
Interesting Fred. I am finding it very similar. Unless the lighting is soft and quite controlled, I don't use it WO. And I have pretty high tolerance/appreciation for character glass. I find I usually reach for my 35 Lux Pre-Asph instead. Here's one of my old dog trying to wait for the mailman but falling asleep. I guess if I didn't have a 35 Lux Pre-ASPH, I would be more excited about it.

I do like it though. I found it has good sunstars stopped down, but the flare resistance usually make the photos unusable for me so it's a moot
...Show more

Lovely samples!



Oct 31, 2023 at 11:17 AM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · MS-Optics Apollon 36mm f1.3 (Leica M-mount)


Thanks @FredMiranda. The more I use it, the more I like it. And we got a new puppy, so many (more than usual) dog photos lol







Oct 31, 2023 at 05:59 PM
letchhausen
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · MS-Optics Apollon 36mm f1.3 (Leica M-mount)


I want one of these lenses! I'm hopefully going to Japan later this year and I'll swing by Map Camera and see if I can get lucky and find one...


Apr 18, 2024 at 03:51 PM
Juha Kannisto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · MS-Optics Apollon 36mm f1.3 (Leica M-mount)


letchhausen wrote:
I want one of these lenses! I'm hopefully going to Japan later this year and I'll swing by Map Camera and see if I can get lucky and find one...


They are unfortunately quite hard to find in the 2nd hand market in Japan these days and when they appear they tend to sell quite fast as well. I've seen a used copy appear at Map Camera only 2 or 3 times over the last year. Recently there was a silver 2nd hand copy at Fujiya Camera but it also got sold pretty fast.

Not sure if there is any further production run of Apollon planned by MS-Optics. They could surely sell some more of them if they made them as it was a relatively popular lens for them. If they don't make more, I think they should introduce a new version of fast ~35mm lens as those have always been popular in their lineup and with less supply than e.g. 50mm or 28mm options.



Apr 18, 2024 at 08:31 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · MS-Optics Apollon 36mm f1.3 (Leica M-mount)


Juha Kannisto wrote:
They are unfortunately quite hard to find in the 2nd hand market in Japan these days and when they appear they tend to sell quite fast as well. I've seen a used copy appear at Map Camera only 2 or 3 times over the last year. Recently there was a silver 2nd hand copy at Fujiya Camera but it also got sold pretty fast.

Not sure if there is any further production run of Apollon planned by MS-Optics. They could surely sell some more of them if they made them as it was a relatively popular lens for them. If
...Show more

I couldn't find the Apollon lens when I was in Japan despite visiting many stores. Eventually, I bought one through the Buyee website from a Japanese auction or marketplace—I don't recall which.



Apr 18, 2024 at 10:27 PM
letchhausen
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · MS-Optics Apollon 36mm f1.3 (Leica M-mount)


Well, that's a bummer. I'll keep an eye out. And of course, a trip to cameras stores is fun anyway. Fingers crossed!


Apr 18, 2024 at 10:50 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · MS-Optics Apollon 36mm f1.3 (Leica M-mount)


Juha Kannisto wrote:
Not sure if there is any further production run of Apollon planned by MS-Optics. They could surely sell some more of them if they made them as it was a relatively popular lens for them. If they don't make more, I think they should introduce a new version of fast ~35mm lens as those have always been popular in their lineup and with less supply than e.g. 50mm or 28mm options.


But there was something about this 36/1.3 that IMO stood out, for the better, in my eyes, compared to their past ~35mm releases. Shame it's so hard to find now, but I guess many others felt the same way?



Apr 18, 2024 at 10:53 PM
Juha Kannisto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · MS-Optics Apollon 36mm f1.3 (Leica M-mount)


rscheffler wrote:
But there was something about this 36/1.3 that IMO stood out, for the better, in my eyes, compared to their past ~35mm releases. Shame it's so hard to find now, but I guess many others felt the same way?


It's definitely a great lens in my view and different from the previous ones.

MS-Optics had the original Reiroal 35/1.4 co-designed with Map Camera (Map was involved in the mechanical / build design) and sold exclusively through Map (100 copies only) in 2015 and then Apoqualia 35/1.4 in 2016 with same optics but a bit different build, and those were already very popular lenses and these days they are very hard to find in 2nd hand market and typically cost upwards from 200K JPY (around 2 to 2.5 x original price). I've been interested in getting one (at the time they were released I wasn't into MS-Optics lenses so I didn't get one when they were available). In the past couple of years I could never find one at an acceptable price. The Apoqualia version has popped up a couple of times at Map Camera at decent price but immediately sold before I even noticed the entries. Perhaps some resellers are using some automated setup to scan the site and they buy immediately when a hot item shows up. There have been some used copies at other 2nd hand channels but always at >200K. Some still seem to prefer this release to the newer ones, but I have not had a chance to use one by myself.

Then there was the Apoqualia 35/1.3 Slim II in 2021 which wasn't as well received as the original in general although it also sold pretty well and is already unavailable except 2nd hand (very low availability 2nd hand as well). This one has been reported to be very difficult to focus especially with a rangefinder at wide apertures. The best sharpness and best contrast are not meeting at the same plane at widest apertures and the lens has a lot of focus shift too. I have one and I quite like it but it's definitely more quirky and tricky to use than the Apollon.

Then finally there's the Apollon, released in December 2022 which I think is well balanced and a bit different from the previous ones. Miyazaki-san kind of advertised Apollon as a good lens for "beginners" while the previous Apoqualia Slim II was recommended only for very advanced shooters who could get around its quirks

I also like the old slower Perar 35/3.5 that was originally released in 2012 a lot. I have version II of that lens.

Given how all these past ~35mm releases have sold quite well and are almost non-existent in the 2nd hand market, I think they could capitalize on the situation by making more of them, in form of a reprint or a new version



Apr 18, 2024 at 11:46 PM
letchhausen
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · MS-Optics Apollon 36mm f1.3 (Leica M-mount)


Juha Kannisto wrote:
Given how all these past ~35mm releases have sold quite well and are almost non-existent in the 2nd hand market, I think they could capitalize on the situation by making more of them, in form of a reprint or a new version


As my favorite skit on Saturday Night Live would say, "What's up with that?"

It's odd, but as someone who owns an Ebony 4x5 and a Fidelity Research tonearm and cartridge, the Japanese make awesome goods and often without regard for "market forces." Perhaps that's the secret to why these items are so good. But yes, I would love them to make a V2 or just a "reissue."



Apr 19, 2024 at 07:09 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · MS-Optics Apollon 36mm f1.3 (Leica M-mount)


letchhausen wrote:
As my favorite skit on Saturday Night Live would say, "What's up with that?"

It's odd, but as someone who owns an Ebony 4x5 and a Fidelity Research tonearm and cartridge, the Japanese make awesome goods and often without regard for "market forces." Perhaps that's the secret to why these items are so good. But yes, I would love them to make a V2 or just a "reissue."


Perhaps the MS Optics 36mm f/1.3 Apollon could be considered a faster v2 version of the original MS 35/1.4. The latter features a 35.9mm focal length. Even the Apollon measured aperture is f/1.38, according to data from MS Optics.



Apr 26, 2024 at 04:18 PM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · MS-Optics Apollon 36mm f1.3 (Leica M-mount)


I enjoyed this lens, but I was not crazy about it compared to my 35 Lux Pre-ASPH v2. But I did own the 35/1.4 Apoqualia, and sadly, it's gotten Leica expensive. That was my favorite of the two--I hope Miyazaki (or his team) would bring back the exact same lens.


Apr 26, 2024 at 10:32 PM
letchhausen
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · MS-Optics Apollon 36mm f1.3 (Leica M-mount)


Since I own the CV APOs (35/50/65) I'm looking for something that has "character" and the examples I've seen with the Apollon have that. It's too bad they're gone, but perhaps there's another coming down the road apiece....


Apr 26, 2024 at 11:56 PM
Juha Kannisto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · MS-Optics Apollon 36mm f1.3 (Leica M-mount)


letchhausen wrote:
Since I own the CV APOs (35/50/65) I'm looking for something that has "character" and the examples I've seen with the Apollon have that. It's too bad they're gone, but perhaps there's another coming down the road apiece....


I recently asked from Miyazaki-san's grandson by e-mail if they have anything new in the works, and I heard back that they are planning some new releases and some "reprint" release, though I don't know what specific lenses or when. They still keep Apollon listed at MKDirect too so I guess there's a chance that they'll make some more of them.

I'm hoping for some new exciting releases

I did some recent shooting with my Apollon as well (on 4/19):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sbPi8rfrVwhcuTqR9



Apr 29, 2024 at 07:47 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · MS-Optics Apollon 36mm f1.3 (Leica M-mount)


Juha Kannisto wrote:
I recently asked from Miyazaki-san's grandson by e-mail if they have anything new in the works, and I heard back that they are planning some new releases and some "reprint" release, though I don't know what specific lenses or when. They still keep Apollon listed at MKDirect too so I guess there's a chance that they'll make some more of them.

I'm hoping for some new exciting releases

I did some recent shooting with my Apollon as well (on 4/19):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sbPi8rfrVwhcuTqR9


It's always a pleasure to see Tokyo Juha! This gallery truly showcases the dual character of this lens. It can deliver clinical sharpness when stopped down, yet also shows charming character at wider apertures. While I enjoy shooting with the Leica 35/1.4 Lux Steel Rim, the Apollon lens still holds a unique vibe for me.. One of its strengths is that the aperture mechanism maintains a circular shape even when stopped down, and it's remarkably lightweight. -- Also, it focuses very close for an M-mount lens.



Apr 29, 2024 at 09:24 AM
Juha Kannisto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · MS-Optics Apollon 36mm f1.3 (Leica M-mount)


Fred Miranda wrote:
It's always a pleasure to see Tokyo Juha! This gallery truly showcases the dual character of this lens. It can deliver clinical sharpness when stopped down, yet also shows charming character at wider apertures. While I enjoy shooting with the Leica 35/1.4 Lux Steel Rim, the Apollon lens still holds a unique vibe for me.. One of its strengths is that the aperture mechanism maintains a circular shape even when stopped down, and it's remarkably lightweight. -- Also, it focuses very close for an M-mount lens.


Thanks very much, Fred! Yeah, the Apollon is really versatile as it shines on both bokeh type close range shots and also on stopped down infinity shots and I was very happy with the results I got with it again on this outing The close focusing capability is really nice feature to have natively on the lens without having to rely on a close focus adapter too.

My MS-Optics lens collection has grown to 16 unique lenses now, I'm enjoying them a lot on my A7CII for daily carry.



Apr 29, 2024 at 09:59 AM
letchhausen
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · MS-Optics Apollon 36mm f1.3 (Leica M-mount)


Fred Miranda wrote:
It's always a pleasure to see Tokyo Juha! This gallery truly showcases the dual character of this lens. It can deliver clinical sharpness when stopped down, yet also shows charming character at wider apertures. While I enjoy shooting with the Leica 35/1.4 Lux Steel Rim, the Apollon lens still holds a unique vibe for me.. One of its strengths is that the aperture mechanism maintains a circular shape even when stopped down, and it's remarkably lightweight. -- Also, it focuses very close for an M-mount lens.


That's what I find so surprising, is seeing that Janus like aspect. Juha's shots are crazy sharp and I even double-checked to make sure I was viewing the right lens. I got an email back from them saying that there was no plans in the near future to reprint that lens, but perhaps in time....I'll be interested to see what else they have up their sleeve.




Apr 29, 2024 at 04:23 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · MS-Optics Apollon 36mm f1.3 (Leica M-mount)


letchhausen wrote:
That's what I find so surprising, is seeing that Janus like aspect. Juha's shots are crazy sharp and I even double-checked to make sure I was viewing the right lens. I got an email back from them saying that there was no plans in the near future to reprint that lens, but perhaps in time....I'll be interested to see what else they have up their sleeve.



It's surprising that they decided to halt production of the MS 36/1.3 Apollon. I remember it being a highly sought-after lens when I was in the market for one. Every time it appeared on Japanese auction sites, it would sell out rapidly and often above its original price. It took me quite a while to track one down due to its popularity. Maybe it's a challenging lens to manufacture. Initially, my copy wasn't properly aligned with the RF, but I managed to adjust it over time.

I bought mine for original price here:
https://www.japanexposures.com/shop/camera-lens/ms-apollon-36-f1.3.html



Apr 29, 2024 at 09:32 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · MS-Optics Apollon 36mm f1.3 (Leica M-mount)


I did a quick search and the only lens they seem to have in stock currently is the MS 28/1.7 Apoqualia:
https://www.japanexposures.com/shop/camera-lens/ms-apoqualia-g-28-f1.7.html

I know many love this one, but personally, I wasn't a fan due to its extreme FC.



Apr 29, 2024 at 09:36 PM
1       2       3              5              7       end




FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5              7       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.