Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              13      
14
       15              24       25       end
  

Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

  
 
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #1 · p.14 #1 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


Sample 8 - Sunstar Rendering comparison:

Notice that the new Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton is equipped with 12 aperture blades while the Ultron has only 10. Therefore sunstars from these lenses have 12 and 10 points respectively.

The Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton is also able to retains higher contrast since it has stronger veiling flare resistance.




Voigtlander 35/1.5 (TOP) | Voigtlander 35/2 Ultron (BOTTOM)






Voigtlander 35/2 Ultron (TOP) | Voigtlander 35/1.5 (BOTTOM)






Voigtlander 35/1.5 (TOP) | Voigtlander 35/2 Ultron (BOTTOM)




Dec 13, 2022 at 07:53 PM
rramesh
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #2 · p.14 #2 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


Nice comparisons Fred. I like the look of the 1.5 compared with the 2. Donít understand Sample 6 as it seems to be out of focus. What was the point of focus?


Dec 13, 2022 at 08:06 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #3 · p.14 #3 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


rramesh wrote:
Nice comparisons Fred. I like the look of the 1.5 compared with the 2. Donít understand Sample 6 as it seems to be out of focus. What was the point of focus?


On sample 6, both lenses were set to 1m but there is no foreground in focus. I just wanted to compare the specular highlights' shape towards the edges to see which lens has higher optical vignetting wide open. Also wanted to compared them at f/2.

The Nokton has higher optical vignetting but the Ultron bokeh has more outlining.



Dec 13, 2022 at 08:09 PM
thrice
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #4 · p.14 #4 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


I've noticed that if you shoot the lens uncoded and use the Voigt 35/1.2 SE correction in Lightroom it 100% corrects the vignette (doesn't seem to overcorrect) so you can scale it back as much as you want from there.


Dec 14, 2022 at 03:02 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #5 · p.14 #5 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


thrice wrote:
I've noticed that if you shoot the lens uncoded and use the Voigt 35/1.2 SE correction in Lightroom it 100% corrects the vignette (doesn't seem to overcorrect) so you can scale it back as much as you want from there.


I just tried this and it works well for vignetting but I remember that the CV 35/1.2 SE has some wavy distortion which seems different with the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton.

BTW, for all rendering comparisons, the focused area is shown at 100% magnification (pixel level) while the OOF rendering crops are displayed at 50% magnification.



Dec 14, 2022 at 10:21 AM
thrice
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #6 · p.14 #6 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


Oh dang. Could make a preset with distortion set to 0? Or we just wait until Adobe make a profile for the new Nokton Vintage 😊

Fred Miranda wrote:
I just tried this and it works well for vignetting but I remember that the CV 35/1.2 SE has some wavy distortion which seems different with the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton.

BTW, for all rendering comparisons, the focused area is shown at 100% magnification (pixel level) while the OOF rendering crops are displayed at 50% magnification.




Dec 14, 2022 at 02:24 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #7 · p.14 #7 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review




Back to Quick Links

Chromatic Aberration (CA)

Voigtlander did a good job correcting lateral CA and to a lesser degree longitudinal CA. The latter is noticeable in most images shot wide open, especially under high contrast lighting. I would consider it to be an average performance considering the size and speed of this lens.

Here is an example at f/5.6 showing the great lateral CA performance towards the edge of the frame. If you look hard, it's still visible at 100% but very easy to correct in post.







Uncorrected Lateral CA (LEFT) | Corrected Lateral CA in LR (RIGHT)







Perhaps easier to see LACA at 200% magnification. It's very well controlled.




Dec 14, 2022 at 05:48 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #8 · p.14 #8 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


Here are a few samples showing what to expect under high contrast lighting in regards to longitudinal CA:





f/1.5 (LEFT) | f/2 (RIGHT)







f/2 (LEFT) | f/2.8 (RIGHT)







f/2.8 (LEFT) | f/4 (RIGHT)




Dec 14, 2022 at 05:49 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #9 · p.14 #9 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


Some crops at 100% magnification showing longitudinal CA from sample images:

All wide open at f/1.5:



























Dec 14, 2022 at 05:50 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #10 · p.14 #10 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
Some crops at 100% magnification showing longitudinal CA from sample images:

All wide open at f/1.5:


Purple and green on the last shot! perhaps the best illustration of that happening that I've seen!



Dec 14, 2022 at 06:49 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

phinix
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #11 · p.14 #11 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


Fred, would you say that this is pretty good lens, similar to 40/1.2 IQ wise?
Wihtout pixel peeping, just overall IQ.
I'm considering swapping 40/1.2 with this lens, not keeping both, just picking one. 35mm vs 40mm is so close that doesn't matter for me.
F1.2 is nice to have, but then I almost never use it. 40/1.2 stopped to 1.4 makes a difference in IQ and being so close to 1.5 I could live with 1.5.
Ideally CV could make this 35/1.5 in E mount (imagine this lens in same size as CV35/1.4 E), but its just a wish for now



Dec 15, 2022 at 09:03 AM
elinewman
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #12 · p.14 #12 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


qiu0717 wrote:
Made this ollux style hood for this lens. Looking more streamlined. It also hide some length of the lens in the hood and make it seem shorter.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0c4nehjiE9nF_tzAStonD-J8w


Are you thinking about selling these? Would definitely buy one if so.



Dec 15, 2022 at 09:32 AM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #13 · p.14 #13 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


Desmolicious wrote:
Purple and green on the last shot! perhaps the best illustration of that happening that I've seen!


Just like the 35 1.2 III, which I sold for the same reason.



Dec 15, 2022 at 10:45 AM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #14 · p.14 #14 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


Desmolicious wrote:
Purple and green on the last shot! perhaps the best illustration of that happening that I've seen!


Did you see the branches photo I posted initially? Lots of LoCal on those too.



Dec 15, 2022 at 10:57 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #15 · p.14 #15 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


highdesertmesa wrote:
Just like the 35 1.2 III, which I sold for the same reason.


From my experience with these two lenses, the level of CA correction is similar when both lenses are set to the same aperture. However , the CV 35/1.2 III's axial CA is even more noticeable wide open at f/1.2.



Dec 15, 2022 at 12:01 PM
klasGelinder
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #16 · p.14 #16 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


I saw some discussions around hoods earlier, here is the one I use. 35mm Ultron II with Haoge LH-VM13P hood.




Dec 15, 2022 at 12:35 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #17 · p.14 #17 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


nehemiahphoto wrote:
Did you see the branches photo I posted initially? Lots of LoCal on those too.


Yeah but that one pic that showed both on the tripod head in such close proximity was so sweet!.



Dec 15, 2022 at 01:20 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #18 · p.14 #18 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


highdesertmesa wrote:
Just like the 35 1.2 III, which I sold for the same reason.


Ya know, I've never noticed that on film images. Is it because I just haven't looked close enough, or it is an artifact on digital sensors?



Dec 15, 2022 at 01:21 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #19 · p.14 #19 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


Desmolicious wrote:
Ya know, I've never noticed that on film images. Is it because I just haven't looked close enough, or it is an artifact on digital sensors?


IDK, maybe so. Could also be because with film you're not shooting wide open a lot due to the high speed shutter limit of 1/1000 sec.



Dec 15, 2022 at 03:33 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #20 · p.14 #20 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review


highdesertmesa wrote:
IDK, maybe so. Could also be because with film you're not shooting wide open a lot due to the high speed shutter limit of 1/1000 sec.


I have a few film cameras w 1/8000 sec top speed so I should check.




Dec 15, 2022 at 03:46 PM
1       2       3              13      
14
       15              24       25       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              13      
14
       15              24       25       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password