FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              12      
       14              34       35       end

Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

rscheffler
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #1 · p.13 #1 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Maybe not a 39-43, but perhaps a 39-46, which is likely in the inventory of many Leica M users. The Breakthrough 39-46 step ring is quite nice, and made of brass.

Sonnar wrote:
Damn they should have launched this lens a few years earlier, before the 35/1.2 Nokton III and the 35/2 Ultron Classic. Now I have these two already (plus the Ultron VM 35/1.7)!
But from the pictures here I think it pretty much performs like the former mentioned, right?

In your case, the only reason I can think of is if you want a more compact lens with more Leica-like ergonomics that is in the f/1.4 range. Faster than the f/2 Ultron, better ergonomics and shorter than the 35/1.7, smaller and lighter than the 35/1.2III. It still has a place in the lineup.

I'm still not sure if I would get this as an alternative to the 35/1.7, which I like very much optically, but dislike a lot ergonomically. I would gain a smaller/shorter lens with a nice focusing tab, but gain the silver filter ring and I'm not convinced I prefer its characteristics over the 1.7.

---------------------------------------------

phinix wrote:
I noticed a lot of people here complain about that chrome ring on VM lens.
Is it a problem? I have to be honest, I did not like it initially, but now, when I tried out VM lens for a first time (40/1.2) I have to say it adds a character to the lens. I actually prefer it compared to E versions.

Do you guys don't like it for aesthetic reasons, or practical, like does it always produce flares or something like that?

See my earlier comment. It's mostly practical reasons. But I'm also not that keen on the aesthetics.

---------------------------------------------

tri_fin wrote:
Leica offer a ring to cover the thread on the Summarit 35mm & 50mm / 2.4 lenses when not using the hood.....

The 28 Lux also has something like this that goes over the threads for the hood on the exterior of the lens to hide/protect them when not using the hood. There are probably more lenses

Of all the hood designs currently in use, I do prefer the Leica square screw-on style the best. IMO it's the cleanest design and it also helps me quickly orientate the lens when doing lens changes. But I suspect they add slightly to vignetting. My least favorite are non-locking extending built-in hoods.

Round lens with no external tactile cues for mounting orientation annoy me. Prime example is the 35/1.7. That little red hemisphere found on Leica's M lenses is also very useful, but is omitted on many VMs (but not all, my VM40/1.4 has it). Canon also replaced those from their RF mirrorless lenses with a tiny engraved line, much to my annoyance. They also made their rear lens caps only able to attach when lined up with this mark, whereas the EF caps will attach however you fit them to the bayonet mount. So annoying!

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:43 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.13 #2 · p.13 #2 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

rscheffler wrote:
Maybe not a 39-43, but perhaps a 39-46, which is likely in the inventory of many Leica M users. The Breakthrough 39-46 step ring is quite nice, and made of brass.

But the text on the face of the step ring will detract somewhat... Still, very nicely made and price was OK relative to other brass options.

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:58 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #3 · p.13 #3 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

A controlled test a couple years ago illustrating the ring flare caused (I think) by the chrome ring. I have been wishing that CV would release black, not chrome rings for the last serval years. The CV 35/1.7 was so good for flare.

https://flickr.com/photos/68886880@N07/sets/72157714786758477

Dec 13, 2022 at 01:16 PM
elinewman

p.13 #4 · p.13 #4 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Hey all, first post here. Just got a type i in the mail and noticed some slight side to side play in the aperture ring. Its nothing crazy but I just wondering if this is normal across other peoples copies? Thanks!

Dec 13, 2022 at 01:39 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.13 #5 · p.13 #5 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Below are a few examples of the silver ring reflecting off glass while shooting through train windows. The lenses used, in order, were the ZM21/2.8, ZM35/2.8, ZM50/2 and again the ZM35/2.8.

In the ZM21 image, it's visible as the lighter diagonal slash across the tracks to the right of the man in the green coat.

In the first ZM35 image, it's visible as a pale blue-gray semicircle in the lower half of the image.

In the ZM50 image it's similar to the ZM35 but softer and less defined, probably due to the focal length and aperture combination.

In the second ZM35 image it's noticeable as the elongated circular highlight just to the right of center, likely the sun reflecting off a bayonet mount edge, as well as a faint semicircular slightly lighter area over the water.

After noticing the reflections, I either tried to shoot through windows on the side not in sun or at an angle to the glass. These were just documentary shots of the trip and not anything photographically amazing. I'm posting them just to illustrate that what I wrote earlier has in fact happened to me. That was also only a few months into my Leica M9 ownership experience and hadn't really filled out the accessories needed for the system. Therefore I don't recall having any step-rings at that time, or even hoods for these lenses (not that those would have entirely eliminated the problem because they don't hide the filter threads).

Dec 13, 2022 at 01:41 PM
1joel1
• • •
p.13 #6 · p.13 #6 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

elinewman wrote:
Hey all, first post here. Just got a type i in the mail and noticed some slight side to side play in the aperture ring. Its nothing crazy but I just wondering if this is normal across other peoples copies? Thanks!

I don't think that you should have that side to side play in a new lens.

Dec 13, 2022 at 02:24 PM
elinewman

p.13 #7 · p.13 #7 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

1joel1 wrote:
I don't think that you should have that side to side play in a new lens.

I've had a few new 50mm Summicron v5s in the past, which has a similar style aperture ring, show the same kind of slight side to side movement. I just wanted to see if other people's Noktons were similar or if I got unlucky with a bad copy.

Dec 13, 2022 at 05:32 PM
Lumenlabs

p.13 #8 · p.13 #8 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

thrice wrote:
Quick & dirty vignetting/coding test. On M10-R

Uncoded:
https://i.ibb.co/2Px1Twv/L1001459-preview.jpg
35 Lux ASPH:
https://i.ibb.co/x3h5Tfn/L1001456-preview.jpg
35 Cron ASPH:
https://i.ibb.co/3N8PkNq/L1001457-preview.jpg
28 Elmarit ASPH:
https://i.ibb.co/VjsBzVS/L1001458-preview.jpg

Thanks for this comparison. Along with tests from others it shows the vignetting is definitely higher than other options which I guess is expected given the small size of the lens. It'd bug me for shooting with film unless one wanted to bake that amount of vignetting in the images.

Dec 13, 2022 at 05:33 PM
thrice
• • • •
p.13 #9 · p.13 #9 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Here is a controlled test using a light table, not as bad as it looked in the informal test.
The one with the red line through it is uncoded, not sure why Lightroom shows a lens, maybe it keeps the last stored one when I select off instead of auto.
With digital you get a fair bit of latitude in the files so if I may just code it as the f/1.2 Noctilux (or the 35 cron pre-asph) and modify the exif myself.
All at f/1.5 at infinity on M10-R.
Dec 13, 2022 at 06:18 PM
rramesh

p.13 #10 · p.13 #10 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

For some reason I cannot upload photos.

Here is a link to some.

The first 2 photos are of a 39-43 step-up ring mounted on the bare lens. This will not hide the chrome parts on the side. The third photo is of the ring placed inside the hood for size. With the base ring of the LH-4N it should cover all of it including the screws on the LH-4N. Unfortunately I cannot find a screwdriver of the right size to unscrew the hood. The step up ring can't be screwed in with the front of the hood attached. Unless one screwed it on a clear filter.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13MToxGREVifMzEEa3Sf3i2pWu_Fx5q0F?usp=sharing

Edited on Dec 13, 2022 at 07:27 PM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2022 at 07:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rramesh

p.13 #11 · p.13 #11 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Here are some quick photos I took with the Voigtlander 35 1.5. It was a wet day and most of these photos were taken at dusk. Some tone and noise corrections have been applied. No cropping applied and they are full size JPGs. Lens was coded as a 35 Summilux.

Please feel free to download and play with these. Copyright waived.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pyplAgq0Z7Ofz-x8NpOpNuq3acQAsRMJ?usp=share_link

Dec 13, 2022 at 07:17 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.13 #12 · p.13 #12 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Back to Quick Links

Rendering compared to Voigtlander 35mm f/2 Ultron

At f/2, both lenses produce similar resolution and contrast but the Voigtlander 35/2 Ultron is wide open which is impressive. However, the lenses render very differently: The Ultron has a more painterly, structural draw while the Nokton's out of focus rendering is smooth and gaussian, which many shooters may prefer.

The Voigtlander 35/1.5 Nokton has outstanding flare resistance. I am failing to see any ghosting/veiling in my images and as you can see from the samples below, the Ultron's veiling resistance is not quite as effective.

Here are a few samples comparing the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton and Voigtlander 35mm f/2 Ultron:
All shot at f/2. Precisely focused at same exact location for both lenses using the M10-R + Visoflex.

Sample 1: At 0.8m

Voigtlander 35/2 Ultron (TOP) | Voigtlander 35/1.5 Nokton (BOTTOM)

At 100%: This is not mis-focused. I always focus 3 times using the Visoflex when doing these tests to ensure there is no focusing error. The Ultron is sharper around the mid-field at this distance and mid-field..

Dec 13, 2022 at 08:40 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.13 #13 · p.13 #13 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Sample 2: At 2m

Dec 13, 2022 at 08:41 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.13 #14 · p.13 #14 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Sample 3: At 1.2m

Voigtlander 35/2 Ultron (TOP) | Voigtlander 35/1.5 Nokton (BOTTOM): Notice the Nokton has better veiling flare resistance. The dedicated hood was used on both lenses

Dec 13, 2022 at 08:43 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.13 #15 · p.13 #15 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Sample 4: At 1.5m

Voigtlander 35/1.5 (TOP) | Voigtlander 35/2 Ultron (BOTTOM)

Since the Voigtlander 35/1.5 Nokton is stopped down to f/2, you will see the dodecagon shape. Notice the Nokton has higher axial CA even stopped down 1 stop compared to the Ultron wide open.

Dec 13, 2022 at 08:45 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.13 #16 · p.13 #16 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Sample 5: At 3.5m

Dec 13, 2022 at 08:45 PM
rramesh

p.13 #17 · p.13 #17 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

I found the focus ring on the Nokton 1.5 to be smoother and better damped than that of the Ultron 2.

Edited on Dec 13, 2022 at 08:48 PM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2022 at 08:46 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.13 #18 · p.13 #18 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Sample 6: At 1m

Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 (TOP) | Voigtlander 35/2 Ultron (BOTTOM): Like in the other samples, the Nokton is stopped down to f/2

Extreme corner: CV 35/1.5 @ f/1.5 | CV 35/2 @ f/2

Extreme corner: CV 35/1.5 @ f/2 | CV 35/2 @ f/2

Dec 13, 2022 at 08:47 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.13 #19 · p.13 #19 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Nice, I prefer the 1.5 in these comparisons.

Dec 13, 2022 at 08:49 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.13 #20 · p.13 #20 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Sample 7: At 1m

Voigtlander 35/1.5 (TOP) | Voigtlander 35/2 Ultron (BOTTOM)

Dec 13, 2022 at 08:49 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.