New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

X-T5 or A7C/A74

ads8810

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X-T5 or A7C/A74

Hi, I'm inclined to get a new camera and curious this forums thoughts.

I currently have an X-E3 with a few primes (12mm, 18mm f/2 and 35mm f/1.4) but use my camera traveling/climbing/backpacking mostly so I'm tired of carrying so many lenses. I do astrophotography while out in the wild.

My current gripes with the X-E3 is the lack of IBIS, poor autofocus in low light, no WR, and how easy it is to knock some of the dials (thinking exposure dial) when I take it in and out of my bag / the 18mm aperture ring is easy to adjust so it often goes from auto to 18 without me realizing and I miss a shot on the mountain.

I dislike the weight penalty of these cameras but would rather it be a little heavier to get these features.

XT-5
- Within the fuji ecosystem so I'd keep my 35mm but get the 12-24 zoom f/4
- brand new, dont buy cameras often so would really last

Sony
- get the 16-35 f/4
- I dont like the A7C is largely a 4 year old internal design but appreciate compactness
- A7C has a pretty poor LCD screen i've read.
- A74 is my preferred spec but it's heavier and obviously a lot more money.

I dont do video

appreciate the thoughts or any other recs / considerations.

Nov 09, 2022 at 12:43 PM
agvogel
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X-T5 or A7C/A74

A couple thoughts:

I love Fuji cameras, but I share your frustration with Fuji dials when you're constantly pulling it out of a bag and the dials get knocked around - I have tried to use an X-T2 + 16mm/2.8 + 50mm/2 for skiing, backpacking, climbing and have ruined a lot of shots this way (+2 exposure comp and f22, anyone?).

I think you'll also find that the X-T5 is significantly larger than the X-E3, especially with a 10-24 attached. The viewfinder hump adds quite a bit of bulk, and the X-T5 + 10-24 won't be significantly different in size and weight from the A7IV + new 16-35PZ.

So I'd ask myself: are you willing to carry the bulk of either an X-T5 or A7IV? If so, I'd probably go with the A7IV for the low light and AF. If not, I'd go for the A7C.

Nov 09, 2022 at 01:03 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · X-T5 or A7C/A74

Personally having used Fuji since XT-1 days, I never had a dial move by itself during use or when inside the camera bag. Aperture ring on the lens, yes but dials, no.

Nov 09, 2022 at 02:00 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · X-T5 or A7C/A74

Regarding the EC dial getting knocked around -- there is a fix to this. Set the EC dial to "C" and the front command dial will adjust your EC only when the camera is powered on.

(Yes, the EC dial can still be knocked out of the "C" position, but is less likely due to how the dial is designed).

You might want to check out the XS10. Size is not much bigger than the XE3, and is smaller than the XT5. Though it's not weather sealed, it would add IBIS and improved autofocus. It's also far more affordable than the other models you're looking at.

Also, in the XS10, the exposure compensation is controlled by a command dial by default. So, like I described above, if the camera is powered off and stored in your bag and the dial accidentally gets knocked to a different position, it won't change your settings.

Nov 09, 2022 at 02:36 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · X-T5 or A7C/A74

Fuji have a habit of populating all their cameras with the same sensor, although they now have two new ones. It's likely/possible that within a few months the 40MP sensor will make its way into the smaller bodies as that seems to be the *photography* sensor for the new line up. Maybe even an XE5. After all Fuji have just started rolling out the 40MP sensor and it's already in two cameras.

Maybe waiting a bit might get you the small body you wish for. And if it doesn't there will be a flash sale on the XT5 anyway.

Gordon

Nov 09, 2022 at 03:26 PM
Geoff D F
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · X-T5 or A7C/A74

Agree with the suggestion to look at the X-S10. It doesn't suffer from the problem of the EC dial shifting while off, which incidentally I have had happen on my Sony A7 III. It has a smaller viewfinder than the A7 III. I can't speak to the A7 C. But the X-S10 with Fuji 10-24 feels like a smaller, lighter and more comfortable package to hold and carry than the Sony A7 III with Sony Zeiss 16-35 f4. Though the difference is not huge. The Fuji is also an internal zoom, whereas the Sony Zeiss 16-35 extends a bit. Image quality is comparable unless you are really into pixel peeping.

Nov 09, 2022 at 05:58 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · X-T5 or A7C/A74

The XH-2 looks pretty appealing, 40mp sensor. You already have Fuji so I'd probably lean that way unless you do a lot of high iso. But 1.4 on aps probably beats f/4 on ff, and 1.4 lenses on ff tend to be large

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:34 PM
novalaker
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · X-T5 or A7C/A74

If you're not shooting video, to be honest I'm not even sure why you're considering the Sony's unless you need the best low-light capabilities or maximum dynamic range. But if you are mostly traveling/climbing I really see no benefit in the Sony's. The X-T5 will give you the most resolution of any of those cameras in a smaller, light body that is weather sealed and has great IBIS, both of those features far exceed the Sony, by the way (more so WR the IBIS is fair on the A7IV).

I think it's a no-brainer for your use case.

Nov 10, 2022 at 01:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gyoung143
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · X-T5 or A7C/A74

Nice thing about Fuji dials is that you can see what the camera is set to before even switching it on. First thing I do when I get them out is look to see what its set to, then reset from whatever last used, or perhaps moved, to what I need for the next shot. Dont see it as a problem. Any camera with an EC dial on the edge is hoing to get knocked, better than my Nikon where changing EC is a two action job to press and hold a button while turning a wheel, a right faff you cant do at eye level.

Gerry

Gerry

Nov 11, 2022 at 03:31 AM
Victor Santos
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · X-T5 or A7C/A74

I moved over from the the Sony A7C to Fuji, and have tried the X-Pro 1 and 2, and the X-T30ii, with an X-Pro 3 on the way. I like the dials, but to each their own.

One of the things that has not been mentioned is the reason I switched, which is the rendering. I think is not just body/sensor related, but also has some to do with lens selection, and I'm not sure if this has any different outcome with astrophotography. I had to do a bit of post processing to get photos to my desired look when I used the A7C. I don't find I have to do much at all with Fuji, though I still do some exposure adjustments, but it's a relatively straight forward process now. I found that the majority of the Sony/Sigma lenses on the A7C achieved a very sterile look, lacking the character which I preferred. There were a couple lenses I enjoyed using, though mostly manual lenses.

The AF on the A7C appears to be much more advanced compared to Fuji, from my experience and what I've read, despite not being the latest and greatest Sony has to offer. I find I miss a little more with Fuji, but I mostly photograph moving kids.

Nov 11, 2022 at 10:40 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · X-T5 or A7C/A74

The "looseness" of Fujifilm EC dials has been an issue on virtually every one of their cameras. It is such a long-standing and known problem that Fujifilm should really come up with a solution. Stronger detents would do it, as would some kind of "locking" mechanism on the dial.

The good news is that you can train yourself to keep track of the dial's position and do a quick check when you take the camera out. It also shows any EC offset in the viewfinder, and you can try to remember to check this.

On the other hand, the fact that there IS a EC dial is an indication that Fujifilm still mostly uses the very useful non-PASM interface on these cameras, where all of the basic settings are immediately visible and changeable via physical controls.

As to the XE3... like all (Fujifilm) cameras, it is a compromise. The compromises don't affect the quality of the images you can produce with it — they are equal to those of any other Fujifilm camera with the same sensor, which is pretty remarkable. The compromises mostly involve the slightly less capable physical interface and potential difficulties handling the smaller body.

But the small size provides a compensatory advantage, too. In particular, for your use the small size and weight of the camera makes for a pretty big plus. For travel/climbing/backpacking (all things that I use Fujifilm, too — OK, no real climbing any more...) it can be a really ideal tool.

If you like the physical control system of the Fujifilm cameras but feel that the XE line is not for you, then the XT5 would probably be a good upgrade. It is a bit larger and heavier, but it still is not a big camera.

It seems to me that you main issue is about lenses. Unless you are really leaning towards a brand switch to Sony, perhaps a good strategy might be to get the lens setup that you think you want from Fujifilm and try it on your existing XE3?

One final thought. As a person who does a lot of landscape and travel photography, I wonder if you really need that very wide zoom lens. That's a subjective thing, and each person has to figure this out for their own photography. For travel, I get by pretty will with the 14mm f/2.8 as my widest lens, and it is only occasionally that I use it.You could actually cover your entire range with a single zoom lens if you can tolerate a less-wide short focal length, using either the 18-55 or the larger 16-55. That would really simplify things. If you went with the smaller and lighter (and quite good!) 18-55mm lens, you could consider augmenting with something like the 14mm.

Dan

Nov 11, 2022 at 10:56 AM
ads8810

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · X-T5 or A7C/A74

Ty all for this discussion this is really helpful. I do think sticking Fuji makes sense especially with my lack of videoing and less interest in a lot of post processing. I currently have a rokinon 12mm manual I use for Astro so wouldn’t need to replace that. Probably want a zoom in lieu of primes for travel and climbing bc not usually in the best spot to swap lenses.

Nov 11, 2022 at 12:41 PM
aagirlz

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · X-T5 or A7C/A74

Completely anecdotally the exposure comp dials seem equally easy to knock. - the other dials on the XT5 have a lock.

I find the XT5 easier to use so far - things like changing shutter speed moving the autofocus point, changing from low, high, single shot all easier on the fuji.

The autofocus on the 7AC is awesome - so great that when I had to choose a camera for my daughter to use for her friends engagement this is the one I chose (over the Canon R6 and Xe4) to give her to use and every shot is in focus. I haven't had enough time to test the XT5 but I doubt from initial use it is as consistent.

There are some awesome lenses for the Sony (this will probably be the reason I keep it) but the viewfinder is not great. The XT5 is much better.

Both cameras are roughly the same size, the XT5 ever so slightly bigger.

If I had. to choose - it'd be the XT5 but it is still very new and I haven't. yet had time to shoot them side by side, however I suspect if I had bought the XT5 first (instead of the XE4) I would never have felt the need for the 7AC..

Nov 19, 2022 at 05:36 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · X-T5 or A7C/A74

aagirlz wrote:
Completely anecdotally the exposure comp dials seem equally easy to knock.

That's an ongoing issue with Fujifilm bodies. Given how long people have commented on how easily the EC dials can be inadvertently moved (for me it goes back a decade to the XE1), I'm perplexed that Fujifilm hasn't addressed this.

One solution would be to make the dial detents "stronger," so it would take a bit more force to move out of the current setting. I suppose they could allow the dial to be locked somehow, but that has downsides. Perhaps moving the location of the dial a bit might also reduce the likelihood of accidentally moving it.

Most of us eventually develop an instinct to frequently check the dial position, whether or not we think we have changed it...

Nov 19, 2022 at 10:02 AM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · X-T5 or A7C/A74

gdanmitchell wrote:
That's an ongoing issue with Fujifilm bodies. Given how long people have commented on how easily the EC dials can be inadvertently moved (for me it goes back a decade to the XE1), I'm perplexed that Fujifilm hasn't addressed this.

One solution would be to make the dial detents "stronger," so it would take a bit more force to move out of the current setting. I suppose they could allow the dial to be locked somehow, but that has downsides. Perhaps moving the location of the dial a bit might also reduce the likelihood of accidentally moving it.

Most of us
...Show more

It's funny, they fixed it on the XT3 but I guess they went back. At least on mine the detents are much heavier and it really doesn't move by mistake. Much harder to move with a flick of the thumb though.

Nov 19, 2022 at 11:21 AM
goodbokeh
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · X-T5 or A7C/A74

ads8810 wrote:
Ty all for this discussion this is really helpful. I do think sticking Fuji makes sense especially with my lack of videoing and less interest in a lot of post processing. I currently have a rokinon 12mm manual I use for Astro so wouldn’t need to replace that. Probably want a zoom in lieu of primes for travel and climbing bc not usually in the best spot to swap lenses.

I've thought about you concerns of the exposure compensation dial and aperture ring being knocked off their settings. Also, Dan's suggestion of a mid-range zoom and Ambient Mike's suggestion of the XH-2.

I would suggest you consider a third combination of the XH-2 and the newly ported to the XF mount Sigma 18-50/2.8 DC DN C lens to combine with your 12mm.

That combination would eliminate your exposure compensation dial and aperture ring issues because they are gone. Aperture is set by the body's front command dial and the exposure compensation by the rear dial, no wrong settings anymore. XH-2 camera settings can be clearly and quickly read from the top deck LCD which can also be illuminated in low light, very handy for Astro.

The XH-2 would also give you benefits of a better grip, much higher quality EVF, & 8K video which you then could grab high quality still photos from. The cost of the XH-2 & Sigma will be in the ballpark of the two options you're now considering.

Here's a video about the Sigma 18-50/2.8, coincidentally tested out on the XH-2. DPReview also has a recent test on the Sigma you can look up.

Nov 19, 2022 at 01:43 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password