New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Album Covers for Domo Wilson

DanielScott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Album Covers for Domo Wilson

I was hired by recording artist / Youtube personality Domo Wilson to photograph her first major release album cover in late 2019, which turned into another gig to photograph her second major release album cover in 2020 as well. I've never shared these here because in hindsight there are things I'd have changed to improve these photos that could have been fixed at the moment of exposure, but we had very limited time for both shoots. The most important part is that Domo is happy, and honestly it's an honor to have had an artist with such a gigantic following seek me out for these, and it's a trip to see my work on the music streaming apps.

This was the first shoot, which was done in natural light. I also "designed" this cover.

This was from the second shoot for the following album, which was done in studio. I didn't design this one, granted it's literally only a cropped version of this photo with an explicit content warning added.

It's still such a trip seeing these on streaming platforms.

Oct 28, 2022 at 10:42 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Album Covers for Domo Wilson

Daniel, "Lipid pools for eyes" comes immediately to mind. The triangular bottom catch light is awesome! Congrats on the covers!
Jim

Oct 29, 2022 at 11:04 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Album Covers for Domo Wilson

James Markus wrote:
Daniel, "Lipid pools for eyes" comes immediately to mind. The triangular bottom catch light is awesome! Congrats on the covers!
Jim

Thanks James. I've been using a round reflector as of late, but have been thinking of making another one of these rectangular ones. At the time of these shoots I didn't have a round 5-in-1 so I made due with a white rectangular foam board I bought from an office supply store with aluminum foil that I glued to one side of it. Veeeery cheap, but it got the job done well.

Oct 30, 2022 at 07:52 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Album Covers for Domo Wilson

I almost never use my 5-in-1, because I think I got one too large - about 48". I have two small white/silver two sided popups I use all the time - about 30". And I have always used white and black foam core of various sizes and shapes. It's all about controlling the light, and paying attention to the details that can make the image speak. It is obvious you do.

DanielScott wrote:
Thanks James. I've been using a round reflector as of late, but have been thinking of making another one of these rectangular ones. At the time of these shoots I didn't have a round 5-in-1 so I made due with a white rectangular foam board I bought from an office supply store with aluminum foil that I glued to one side of it. Veeeery cheap, but it got the job done well.

Oct 31, 2022 at 10:07 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Album Covers for Domo Wilson

James Markus wrote:
I almost never use my 5-in-1, because I think I got one too large - about 48". I have two small white/silver two sided popups I use all the time - about 30". And I have always used white and black foam core of various sizes and shapes. It's all about controlling the light, and paying attention to the details that can make the image speak. It is obvious you do.

I completely agree. I just wish those makeshift foam boards lasted longer!

Thank you so much.

Oct 31, 2022 at 08:52 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Album Covers for Domo Wilson

Very nice work. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Oct 31, 2022 at 10:35 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Album Covers for Domo Wilson

1bwana1 wrote:
Very nice work. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Thanks so much Steve.

Nov 01, 2022 at 09:34 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Album Covers for Domo Wilson

Yes very well done work Daniel!
PBS (https://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/blogs/news/icon-music-through-the-lens-explores-the-thrilling-world-of-concert-photography/) has a series on the photographers who took pics. Great stories and great photos!
I hope to see your name, Peter Figen's, and a few others here, in the next episodes credits!!
Dan

Nov 01, 2022 at 10:44 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Album Covers for Domo Wilson

Danpbphoto wrote:
Yes very well done work Daniel!
PBS (https://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/blogs/news/icon-music-through-the-lens-explores-the-thrilling-world-of-concert-photography/) has a series on the photographers who took pics. Great stories and great photos!
I hope to see your name, Peter Figen's, and a few others here, in the next episodes credits!!
Dan

Thanks Dan. If they only pick concert photographers then I'm afraid I wouldn't be featured on that site. The crowds at concerts are very overstimulating for me, so I much prefer the one-on-one aspect of planned shoots.

Nov 01, 2022 at 08:14 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Album Covers for Domo Wilson

DanielScott wrote:
Thanks Dan. If they only pick concert photographers then I'm afraid I wouldn't be featured on that site. The crowds at concerts are very overstimulating for me, so I much prefer the one-on-one aspect of planned shoots.

These photographers were one-on-one Daniel.
Crowds are not fun for photographers!
The PBS series was very enlightening!
Exposure was the key to these people having "access".

I have photographed a few rock groups and all I had to do was make a phone call. Luck? Probably so. I was happy! And the person, musician/singer or group, was happy with the results also!
Dan

Nov 02, 2022 at 09:44 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Album Covers for Domo Wilson

Danpbphoto wrote:
These photographers were one-on-one Daniel.
Crowds are not fun for photographers!
The PBS series was very enlightening!
Exposure was the key to these people having "access".

I have photographed a few rock groups and all I had to do was make a phone call. Luck? Probably so. I was happy! And the person, musician/singer or group, was happy with the results also!
Dan

Sounds very interesting! I have a couple of band and recording artist shoots lined up;I'm definitely looking forward to them.

Nov 02, 2022 at 09:37 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Album Covers for Domo Wilson

DanielScott wrote:
Sounds very interesting! I have a couple of band and recording artist shoots lined up;I'm definitely looking forward to them.

good to hear Daniel!!!!
It is mucho fun!!!
Dan

Nov 03, 2022 at 09:17 AM
BubbaJon
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Album Covers for Domo Wilson

Curious to what you'd have changed.
I think them very well done myself.
You pulled off the left side focus of interest very well - her eyes anchor you in the frame.
My only observations:
her forehead is a little hot.
her skin seems kind of "pebbly".

Nice work for sure!

Nov 05, 2022 at 06:35 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Album Covers for Domo Wilson

BubbaJon wrote:
Curious to what you'd have changed.
I think them very well done myself.
You pulled off the left side focus of interest very well - her eyes anchor you in the frame.
My only observations:
her forehead is a little hot.
her skin seems kind of "pebbly".

Nice work for sure!

I think I'd have tried controlling the hair just a little more, both at the time of the shoot and in post. As for the skin, I think it's the result of a sharpening technique that I was using at the time, which I don't quite think was the right choice to use on these portraits, which I think would have benefitted from a softer treatment.

Thank you so much!

Nov 05, 2022 at 10:17 AM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Album Covers for Domo Wilson

Nice ...

Nov 06, 2022 at 09:55 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Album Covers for Domo Wilson

saaketham wrote:
Nice ...

Thank you.

Nov 07, 2022 at 10:38 AM
rntbot
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Album Covers for Domo Wilson

Congratulations! I see why she's happy, you knocked it out da park! I'm sure she'll be calling again.

Nov 12, 2022 at 06:26 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Album Covers for Domo Wilson

rntbot wrote:
Congratulations! I see why she's happy, you knocked it out da park! I'm sure she'll be calling again.

Thank you. I sure hope so!

Nov 14, 2022 at 01:45 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.