Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2022 · Storm Bliss

Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Storm Bliss

For those who saw (and may have read) my other post "ALIEN CLOUD", yes these are real images, not Photoshop experiments. An amazing 30-second Youtube clip (from my iPhone) of this sublime lightning storm is in the first comment below (for those who may want to see the type of light show I was shooting).

I just ran out there, kept composing and allowing my camera to shoot back to back (continuous shooting mode) images to catch an unbelievable amount of strikes (there was maybe a strike every 5-10 seconds through sunset).

Techie stuff:

Sony A7R2
Canon 16-35L2 (at 16mm)
f/14
1/2 second
320 ISO

Processing:
As always, I only use the new Adobe, Raw on Raw Layer workflow for unprecedented processing quality. Nothing comes close today, especially for critical print/enlargement quality. Always using a Linear Raw profile and always using enhance "Raw Details" in Lightroom/Camera Raw. Never "Super Resolution".

Lastly, I apologize that I am on the road doing my Pacific Northwest workshop and will not be available for commenting until the end of the month.

May 11, 2022 at 06:04 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Storm Bliss

How to photograph a UFO (seascape):

https://youtube.com/shorts/U9YuBDw1P_4

May 11, 2022 at 06:06 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Storm Bliss

Another beauty. The 3D effect in the clouds is spectacular.

May 11, 2022 at 06:32 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Storm Bliss

^^^^
Besides being just a really cool comp - that was my thoughts as well. The 3D is very realistic - like you could just step into the photo and onto the beach!

May 11, 2022 at 06:56 PM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Storm Bliss

I agree to Rajan and dbehrens: excellent 3d image in prospect view

May 11, 2022 at 08:07 PM
KMSlandscape

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Storm Bliss

Wonderful foreground, midground, and background! All the elements work together. I wish I was there when this was occurring (with my camera of course!)

May 11, 2022 at 10:51 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Storm Bliss

Thank you everyone. I hope you’re getting great photos out there.

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Another beauty. The 3D effect in the clouds is spectacular.

Thank you Rajan! It’s interesting how many people talk about a 3-D effect here. Definitely a lot of layers of things going on! Blessings on you and your work.

dbehrens wrote:
^^^^
Besides being just a really cool comp - that was my thoughts as well. The 3D is very realistic - like you could just step into the photo and onto the beach!

Thank you so much Dave. I really appreciate that coming from you. I hope you’re getting out and continuing your photography heavily. 😁

junglialoh wrote:
I agree to Rajan and dbehrens: excellent 3d image in prospect view

Thank you so very much. This might be a perfect image for Robert Park‘s new “ultra vibrant acrylics“ or his “Lumachrome“. I have never seen some images become so three-dimensional than those two print types. I’ll give it a try. Thank you for the encouragement! ✌🏼

KMSlandscape wrote:
Wonderful foreground, midground, and background! All the elements work together. I wish I was there when this was occurring (with my camera of course!)

It would have been great to have you. I was literally on the phone talking to my father and told him I had to go, and basically hung up on him. But he knows the nature of my work. I’m so blessed to spend so much time on the ocean living here. Never in a million years did I dream such a great dream. Plus doing about five Florida Dreamscape workshops a year now chasing the wild light and dreamy Seascape and wave motif for my clients. It’s paradise. 🌩😊
Even going to Oregon to lead my Pacific Northwest workshop, I’m actually daydreaming already of coming home! 🌊

May 12, 2022 at 08:53 AM
Starfire8
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Storm Bliss

Simply insane, Mark! You really convey the energy of the moment in this image! Great work!

David

May 12, 2022 at 10:34 AM
Ross Martin
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Storm Bliss

Mark, the glow and dimensionality in the sky is phenomenal!

May 12, 2022 at 02:21 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Storm Bliss

Another great photo Mark! Great catch on that storm!

May 17, 2022 at 09:04 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Storm Bliss

Starfire8 wrote:
Simply insane, Mark! You really convey the energy of the moment in this image! Great work!

David

Huge Thank you David! I hope life is treating you well.

Ross Martin wrote:
Mark, the glow and dimensionality in the sky is phenomenal!

Thank you Ross. Light like this does not happen often! I am blessed to live in such an incredible location in FL where we get insane light VERY often! Lightning alley in fact... All the best to you and your family.

Brad Williams wrote:
Another great photo Mark! Great catch on that storm!

Thank you much Mr Brad. My you find that great light OFTEN! All the best. 😊

Jun 20, 2022 at 07:29 PM
40Driggs
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Storm Bliss

This is an excellent scene all the way around! I love the "drama" with the storm and lightning.

Jun 21, 2022 at 12:29 PM
chad hites
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Storm Bliss

Fantastic image! As mentioned above the depth or 3D effect is exceptional!

Jun 21, 2022 at 02:33 PM
nicoyenny
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Storm Bliss

Excellent!!!
Thanks to you, now i am in danger of being hit by lightning (HAVE to try and learn to have similar results) ... your magnificent photos are a source of inspiration !

Jun 21, 2022 at 02:39 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Storm Bliss

Behind the scene, "How to photograph a UFO":
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/U9YuBDw1P_4

40Driggs wrote:
This is an excellent scene all the way around! I love the "drama" with the storm and lightning.

Thank you very much! It was one of the best moments I have seen for a while at the beach!

chad hites wrote:
Fantastic image! As mentioned above the depth or 3D effect is exceptional!

Thank you Chad. I love to hear how other see things.

nicoyenny wrote:
Excellent!!!
Thanks to you, now i am in danger of being hit by lightning (HAVE to try and learn to have similar results) ... your magnificent photos are a source of inspiration !

A huge thank you! I used to play around with the lightning storms far more than now. These days I use so much more caution, which I massively advise! Be safe out there! ⚡️ ⛑

Edited on Jun 29, 2022 at 07:16 AM · View previous versions

Jun 29, 2022 at 06:48 AM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Storm Bliss

Brilliant image Mark, very powerful.

Jun 29, 2022 at 07:00 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Storm Bliss

Gives me goosebumps Mark
This is one exceptional image composition and you have had many but your ability to put this altogether in a short time is amazing to me. I think the image is breathtaking, I really love the wash motion of the surf and those lovely warm sand tones to contrast the water and the sky. The element rock in foreground with its sharpness is a nice anchor and the rushing water takes me back out to be amazed with light and clouds as well as the lightning bolt!
I also think in my minds eye that the same shot without the lightning bolt would be equally as impressive

As always, thanks for the motivation and truly spectacular presentation and willingness to share and to teach
Best
Karl

Jun 29, 2022 at 10:54 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Storm Bliss

Getting the shot:

Jun 29, 2022 at 12:05 PM
John Webb
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Storm Bliss

As I've said before sweet shot.

Just came back fro St Augustine and unfortunately didn't have any thunderstorms come ashore. But I love the North Florida Light and feel fortunate when we get it little further north in ST Simons, Ga.

Hoping that I can rehab my back after surgery and join one of the Florida workshops.

Keep on and let us know when you have the raw workflow tutorial out.

Regards John

Jun 29, 2022 at 01:33 PM
dclark
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Storm Bliss

Wow, beautiful image!
I like the video too.

Dave

Jun 29, 2022 at 09:42 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.