New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Night real estate photography

novalaker

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Night real estate photography

I was staying a buddy's new lodge on a lake here in Rwanda and we got a rare clear night, it's often so foggy at this altitude stars can be scarce. I had just received my new Leica 8-18 for my G9 courtesy of FM Buy & Sell so I wanted to try it out and give my buddy a nice photo for his website of one of the buildings at the lodge.

Truthfully I've never done night photography like this before so I was fumbling around for the proper settings, etc. and I think I got something useable for social media but I found a lot of artifacts upon closer examination, lots of white, red, blue, and green spots all around the image and I wouldn't print it. I did some cleanup in DxO and got rid of some but I still find a lot of artifacts, white ones mostly. Does anyone know what caused it/how to avoid this?

Any other feedback on the image in general would be appreciated, as well.

DC-G9    8.0-18.0 mm f/2.8-4.0 lens    8mm    f/2.8    30s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

DC-G9    8.0-18.0 mm f/2.8-4.0 lens    8mm    f/2.8    30s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 26, 2022 at 09:20 AM
mdees88
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Night real estate photography

I'm just getting into astrophotography so I probably won't be too much help but it sounds like the artifacts you mention could be what is referred to as "hot pixels".

I really like the compositions, especially the first pic. It would be nice if the inside of the room was not so blown out. I assume the lights were on during the entire 30 second exposure. I wonder if you had someone inside the room and they only left the lights on for 1-5 seconds of your 30 second exposure if that would reduce the brightness.

There is free stacking software that helps to eliminate noise in night sky pics and I think they can help eliminate the hot pixels too. You take several pics back to back then you put the lens cap and take one dark frame and let the software do its thing.

Apr 30, 2022 at 10:58 PM
Fujifuji

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Night real estate photography

Overall cool shots. I wouldn’t class this under real estate photography but I do see an image like this being used for unique properties or a Airbnb add.

When shooting for real estate/ architecture it’s too dark. Shoot during dusk/twilight window when the internal lights and outside light are balanced. reflections from the windows start to disappear.
Once the internal light become brighter then outside, you are in stalker/ peeping Tom territory vibe.

Try bracketing your shots next time to keep details both inside and outside.

Jun 10, 2022 at 11:28 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password