Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2022 · Dune of Death Valley

Gregg B.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dune of Death Valley

Congratulations to Gregg B. for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 14 votes - View Previous Winners

I haven't posted dune shots for a while so here are few from Death Valley NP I took this weekend. The weather was great. Normally this place is cloudless, hot, and lifeless. This weekend however I've had strong winds, some rain (yes, it was raining there), and nice sunny sunset - all the same day.
I was kind of hoping for some wild flowers (and macro shots) but nope, there's none. I didn't see a single flower blooming. Either I'm too late this year, or there wasn't enough rain (last and this year) and there are no flowers at all (or a super bloom).
And, the little rain I've had won't effect the flower growth. Maybe next year....

Apr 24, 2022 at 02:13 PM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dune of Death Valley

Wow! Incredibly beautiful image series from Death Valley. Sublime images indeed.

Apr 24, 2022 at 02:35 PM
KMSlandscape

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dune of Death Valley

Gregg

These are just awesome. What a variety. #6 and #8 are great abstracts with wonderful composition. The pyramid shot is a show-stopper too especially when contrasted against the cloudy sky. The first image is great, very sensuous.

A real pleasure viewing these !

Ken

Apr 24, 2022 at 02:37 PM
agvogel
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dune of Death Valley

Wow - fantastic, and I always love a new perspective on sand dunes. Mind sharing your FL and post-processing for the first one? Has a very unique look to it.

Apr 24, 2022 at 04:14 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dune of Death Valley

agvogel wrote:
Wow - fantastic, and I always love a new perspective on sand dunes. Mind sharing your FL and post-processing for the first one? Has a very unique look to it.

Nothing special when it comes to PP. Just used warming polarizer and brought out shadows/highlights via curves in PS. FL was 24mm @ f/11. I think I took two shots to get foreground and background sharp but I didn't blend anything. It's just a single shot. Hyperfocal worked. The last shot is a 400mm compression. I had two lenses with me, the new Nikon 24-120mm f/4 S and 100-400mm f/4.5 - 5.6 S. That's all you really need. Occasionally I could probably use 14-30mm f/4 but why bother? This is pretty stationary place nothing really moves, so I just shot panos with the 24 if I couldn't get everything in the frame.

Apr 24, 2022 at 05:17 PM
agvogel
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dune of Death Valley

Gregg B. wrote:
Nothing special when it comes to PP. Just used warming polarizer and brought out shadows/highlights via curves in PS. FL was 24mm @ f/11. I think I took two shots to get foreground and background sharp but I didn't blend anything. It's just a single shot. Hyperfocal worked. The last shot is a 400mm compression. I had two lenses with me, the new Nikon 24-120mm f/4 S and 100-400mm f/4.5 - 5.6 S. That's all you really need. Occasionally I could probably use 14-30mm f/4 but why bother? This is pretty stationary place nothing really moves, so I
...Show more

Ah - it must be the polarizer giving it that interesting look. Thanks for taking the time to share!

Apr 24, 2022 at 05:53 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dune of Death Valley

agvogel wrote:
Ah - it must be the polarizer giving it that interesting look. Thanks for taking the time to share!

But what is so special you see in the first shot? It's a midday shot. The sun was up to the left and at least 3 hours before sunset time.

Apr 24, 2022 at 06:06 PM
agvogel
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dune of Death Valley

Gregg B. wrote:
But what is so special you see in the first shot? It's a midday shot. The sun was up to the left and at least 3 hours before sunset time.

I can’t exactly put my finger on it, but it has a “glow” and soft light to it that is normally totally absent from photos at midday.

Apr 24, 2022 at 06:21 PM
ksmmike
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dune of Death Valley

very nice
Mike

Apr 24, 2022 at 07:04 PM
WiseTioga
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dune of Death Valley

Gregg, Some very fine work. Which set of Dunes? Mesquite or Eureka? I'm guessing Eureka but I've been wrong before. In any case thanks for posting. Enjoyed looking at your work.

Apr 24, 2022 at 07:08 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dune of Death Valley

agvogel wrote:
I can’t exactly put my finger on it, but it has a “glow” and soft light to it that is normally totally absent from photos at midday.

Dust in the air? Whitish dunes reflected more light? Maybe the filter too…

Apr 24, 2022 at 07:37 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dune of Death Valley

WiseTioga wrote:
Gregg, Some very fine work. Which set of Dunes? Mesquite or Eureka? I'm guessing Eureka but I've been wrong before. In any case thanks for posting. Enjoyed looking at your work.

Neither. These are Ibex dunes…

Apr 24, 2022 at 07:37 PM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dune of Death Valley

Gregg, great set but the first is absolutely stunning. Love the way you composed #1. Great work as usual YGMV 👍🏻

Apr 24, 2022 at 08:06 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Dune of Death Valley

very nice set Gregg

Apr 25, 2022 at 03:14 AM
DanielJStein
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Dune of Death Valley

Amazing! I always look forward to your dune shots. The lighting here is primo!

Apr 25, 2022 at 06:23 AM
Starfire8
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Dune of Death Valley

Very artistic work, Gregg! Such a pleasure to view each one! I keep trying to choose a favorite and find it impossible to narrow it down! Great work!

Best regards, David

Apr 25, 2022 at 09:02 AM
WatsonAName

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Dune of Death Valley

Wow, what a fantastic set! #6 and #8 for me, but they're all fantastically composed images!

Apr 26, 2022 at 08:23 AM
Jim Dockery
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Dune of Death Valley

Sweet set. The first and last really grab me, love the sinuous lines in the first.

Apr 26, 2022 at 08:55 AM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Dune of Death Valley

Jim Dockery wrote:
Sweet set. The first and last really grab me, love the sinuous lines in the first.

That’s what caught my attention too - the sinuous lines…

Apr 26, 2022 at 09:51 AM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Dune of Death Valley

Great set of photos Gregg. Really nice!

Apr 27, 2022 at 10:35 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.