New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Road Trip to Mars

DanielScott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Road Trip to Mars

Congratulations to DanielScott for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 6 votes - View Previous Winners

Last weekend I took a road trip with a friend so we could do a test shoot. Not to Mars (thankfully), but to Warm Springs in Oregon, which is only about 2 hours from where I live. I've been to the Painted Hills in Central Oregon, but I never realized there was a similar landscape much closer to home, and one that is not marked as off limits (there is a trail that goes right up to the spot we were using). The landscape felt very Martian.

Lit using natural light. Photographed using an original Canon 5D with a Canon 85mm f/1.8 lens. Sadly I couldn't get an assistant to hold a reflector for this shoot for better fill lighting, and the wind was much too strong to use a stand.

Mar 30, 2022 at 06:55 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Road Trip to Mars

Look fine without fill to me Daniel, Well done.

Mar 30, 2022 at 07:51 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Road Trip to Mars

When I opened your post Daniel, #1, I was aghast at how wonderfully done this is.
The African American man in his dashiki like outfit, brightly colored and his dark skin against the natural, yet somewhat bland red colored background, really make this pop! And I do mean POP!!!!#1 is stupendous Daniel!!
Your grasp of light versus frame and model is perfect!
Dan

The 5D....Some of my best compositions came with this body!

Mar 30, 2022 at 10:03 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Road Trip to Mars

airfrogusmc wrote:
Look fine without fill to me Daniel, Well done.

Thanks so much man.

Mar 31, 2022 at 04:54 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Road Trip to Mars

Danpbphoto wrote:
When I opened your post Daniel, #1, I was aghast at how wonderfully done this is.
The African American man in his dashiki like outfit, brightly colored and his dark skin against the natural, yet somewhat bland red colored background, really make this pop! And I do mean POP!!!!#1 is stupendous Daniel!!
Your grasp of light versus frame and model is perfect!
Dan

The 5D....Some of my best compositions came with this body!

Wow, thanks for such kind words Dan!

It's a wonderful camera for sure, but sadly my needs as a photographer are beginning to exceed it's capabilities. After over 10 years using this same camera I think it's finally time for an upgrade. I definitely got my money's worth from it, that's for sure.

Mar 31, 2022 at 04:56 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Road Trip to Mars

DanielScott wrote:
Wow, thanks for such kind words Dan!

It's a wonderful camera for sure, but sadly my needs as a photographer are beginning to exceed it's capabilities. After over 10 years using this same camera I think it's finally time for an upgrade. I definitely got my money's worth from it, that's for sure.

I loved this body Daniel and yes I also had to move on. I went with the 1Dx and the 5DSr. The 5DSr is a solid and wonderful body. As is the 1Dx and its 2&3.

There are many fine bodies out there now.
Good luck in choosing Daniel.

Again fine photography!
Dan

Mar 31, 2022 at 08:53 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Road Trip to Mars

Danpbphoto wrote:
I loved this body Daniel and yes I also had to move on. I went with the 1Dx and the 5DSr. The 5DSr is a solid and wonderful body. As is the 1Dx and its 2&3.

There are many fine bodies out there now.
Good luck in choosing Daniel.

Again fine photography!
Dan

The original 1DX definitely has my attention. I would honestly prefer to keep the megapixel count at a reasonable size, and the original 1DX seems to fit that expectation well, as well as the numerous other upgrades it would entail from my camera.

Apr 01, 2022 at 09:07 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Road Trip to Mars

jannie wrote:
Oh my god! Fantastic.

Thank you so much.

Apr 01, 2022 at 09:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Road Trip to Mars

DanielScott wrote:
The original 1DX definitely has my attention. I would honestly prefer to keep the megapixel count at a reasonable size, and the original 1DX seems to fit that expectation well, as well as the numerous other upgrades it would entail from my camera.

I have my original 1DX Daniel. I love it! I did not feel the need to upgrade to the newer models because of the IQ of that initial 1DX body.
I shot with the 1DX2, 1DX3 and found very little in the enhancements for my style of shooting! So I stayed with the the 1DX. I am sure you will love it for your style of photography!

Try one if you can!
Good luck!
Dan

Apr 01, 2022 at 09:20 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Road Trip to Mars

Danpbphoto wrote:
I have my original 1DX Daniel. I love it! I did not feel the need to upgrade to the newer models because of the IQ of that initial 1DX body.
I shot with the 1DX2, 1DX3 and found very little in the enhancements for my style of shooting! So I stayed with the the 1DX. I am sure you will love it for your style of photography!

Try one if you can!
Good luck!
Dan

Thank you.

Apr 01, 2022 at 05:08 PM
Starfire8
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Road Trip to Mars

These images bring out the strength of the masculine! A wonderful tribute and great use of color! Nice work!
David

Apr 03, 2022 at 07:40 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Road Trip to Mars

Starfire8 wrote:
These images bring out the strength of the masculine! A wonderful tribute and great use of color! Nice work!
David

Thank you so much David.

Apr 04, 2022 at 07:46 PM
Alaa232

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Road Trip to Mars

Nice work!!

Apr 04, 2022 at 08:02 PM
davidha130

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Road Trip to Mars

Great shot! Loving the color scheme.