New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2022 · Test Shoot with Temple

DanielScott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Test Shoot with Temple

Congratulations to DanielScott for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 6 votes - View Previous Winners

A few weeks ago I reached out to a local modeling agency to set up some test shoots. Agency test shoots are something that allowed me to experiment during shoots and I did them somewhat frequently before covid, but I haven't felt inspired to do many over the last two years, especially with agencies, mainly because the pandemic had a big impact on my mental health. A lot happened over these last two years that really shifted the coarse of my life, in some ways good but in many ways not so good. I still really miss the life I had before the pandemic and it's been a struggle just to get back a fraction of it. At the end of 2021 I started renting a room from my chosen family, and that started the process of healing and finding myself again, which eventually led me to feeling so much less worry in my life and much more energized and inspired to get people in front of my camera with the sole purpose of having a good time and making something (hopefully) beautiful at the same time. I decided to start at a run and set up four different test shoots over this last week. The reason I'm going in depth with this explanation is because I only realized today that it's been exactly two years now since I have felt this good and this optimistic about photography and life in general, before the pandemic really started affecting mine and everyone else's lives. To me that's significant because I was worried my life had gone completely off track for good, and sometimes I never thought I'd feel good again. I'm feeling much more optimistic again, and while these shoots don't necessarily visually represent that state of mind, they personally represent that shift in state of mind to me. That's all I really have to say about myself and will get to the images.

This model, Temple, was really great to work with. He brought amazing creativity to the shoot with his posing, expressiveness, and personal style. I feel like I haven't gotten this many good shots from a shoot in a really long time. All were lit using natural light and a 5-in-1 reflector disk, sometimes using the diffusion disk inside the reflector to diffuse the sun, and sometimes just using the direct sunlight for it’s sculpting effect. I edited most of these to somewhat match my favorite pair of rose-tinted sunglasses. The untied shoes, while likely going to be hated by some, was an intentional stylistic choice by the model and I really loved the playfulness/ youthful feel of it. I apologize for dumping so many images here at once.

Camera used was an original Canon 5D with a Canon 85mm f/1.8 lens.

Edited on Mar 12, 2022 at 07:00 AM · View previous versions

Mar 12, 2022 at 05:14 AM
Dneufarth
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Test Shoot with Temple

Beautiful images Daniel—energetic, optimistic and soulful as it seems you are becoming again. I am grateful that this post makes your journey a part of our journey. I love every one of these images.

Derek

Mar 12, 2022 at 06:43 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Test Shoot with Temple

Dneufarth wrote:
Beautiful images Daniel—energetic, optimistic and soulful as it seems you are becoming again. I am grateful that this post makes your journey a part of our journey. I love every one of these images.

Derek

Thank you so much Derek. I'm glad you like these and really happy to hear that some of my current feelings have translated into the photos.

Mar 12, 2022 at 07:19 AM
J. Pow
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Test Shoot with Temple

These are so good bro! I really think some of your best work I have seen. Im glad you are getting back to where you want to be! Keep moving forward with passion!

Joel

Mar 12, 2022 at 09:16 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Test Shoot with Temple

Now that is one man in great shape!!!!

I love men and women wearing hats Daniel! While all your compositions are super, I am really drawn to this person in a hat!
Women wearing hats is especially enticing!
Fine work!
Dan

Edited on Mar 13, 2022 at 01:51 PM · View previous versions

Mar 12, 2022 at 02:12 PM
bob parrish
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Test Shoot with Temple

Totally digging the black & white images. Thank you for your story and keep on keepin' on!

Mar 12, 2022 at 11:33 PM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Test Shoot with Temple

1-7 are great warm-ups; the b/w are really good. 7 is amazing, Tarzan-like. 8-11 make this set.

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:25 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Test Shoot with Temple

I really like the point of view and use of the frame on #2. All are good Well done.

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:46 PM
jcw1982
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Test Shoot with Temple

Daniel your work is always excellent. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Mar 13, 2022 at 02:07 PM
Doc25
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Test Shoot with Temple

Thanks for opening up Daniel, we often don't appreciate what people have gone through the last few years.

As far as the photos go, excellent set full of energy! Love the second to last one. I hope you feel recharged.

Mar 13, 2022 at 05:16 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Test Shoot with Temple

J. Pow wrote:
These are so good bro! I really think some of your best work I have seen. Im glad you are getting back to where you want to be! Keep moving forward with passion!

Joel

Thank you so much Joel. Honestly I haven't felt that love towards my work like I am for my most recent shoots in a pretty long time.

Mar 13, 2022 at 10:34 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Test Shoot with Temple

Danpbphoto wrote:
Now that is one man in great shape!!!!

I love men and women wearing hats Daniel! While all your compositions are super, I am really drawn to this person in a hat!
Women wearing hats is especially enticing!
Fine work!
Dan

Thank you so much Dan. He brought a few hats, including a cowhide hate, but unfortunately we ran out of time before getting a chance to photograph him in it. Turns out this model only lives a few minutes from me, so we're already planning another shoot and I definitely want to get some with that hat.

Mar 13, 2022 at 10:36 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Test Shoot with Temple

bob parrish wrote:
Totally digging the black & white images. Thank you for your story and keep on keepin' on!

Thank you so much Bob.

Mar 13, 2022 at 10:36 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Test Shoot with Temple

GoodEgg wrote:
1-7 are great warm-ups; the b/w are really good. 7 is amazing, Tarzan-like. 8-11 make this set.

Thank you so much! For me it's very difficult to pick favorites from this shoot, which hasn't happened in a long time.

Mar 13, 2022 at 10:37 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Test Shoot with Temple

airfrogusmc wrote:
I really like the point of view and use of the frame on #2. All are good Well done.

Thanks man! I made a point of shooting from a below angle for most of this shoot and really love the effect.

Mar 13, 2022 at 10:39 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Test Shoot with Temple

jcw1982 wrote:
Daniel your work is always excellent. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Thank you so much.

Mar 13, 2022 at 10:40 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Test Shoot with Temple

Doc25 wrote:
Thanks for opening up Daniel, we often don't appreciate what people have gone through the last few years.

As far as the photos go, excellent set full of energy! Love the second to last one. I hope you feel recharged.

Thanks Doc. It's been really hard on all of us, but I'm glad things seem to be getting back to a fraction of "normal". I'm definitely feeling recharged.

Mar 13, 2022 at 10:42 PM
KE_Photo
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Test Shoot with Temple

Great set - having a creative and emotive subject is such a rarity and a joy to work with, and the images show it.

Mar 13, 2022 at 11:18 PM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Test Shoot with Temple

This is magazine cover stuff. I love it! Loads of personality come through in every frame. I didn't even bother to look for technical things.
Also, I'm happy that you're happy, in an inelegant nutshell. I was similarly affected over the last three years and had my breakout happy moment last November. Sending good vibes your way.

Mar 14, 2022 at 12:32 AM
johnld
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Test Shoot with Temple

Often times we don't get a backstory on the photographer, but it's obvious when someone is emotionally connected to the moment. The photos show confidence and the ability to trust to let one's personality show. This can only come from a photographer whose confident of an expectation. That should make us all hopeful. Nicely done.

Mar 14, 2022 at 11:08 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.