New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2022 · Gracey

DanielScott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gracey

Congratulations to DanielScott for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 6 votes - View Previous Winners

From a test shoot I did over the weekend.

The first shot was lit using direct sunlight filtered through the diffusion disk from my 5 in 1 reflector, and I positioned the white side of the reflector skin on the ground between use to reflect some light from below and add a second catch-light.
The second shot was lit using direct sunlight (not diffused) and a white reflector. Photographed using an original Canon 5D with a standard Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro usm lens.

Mar 07, 2022 at 08:56 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gracey

Daniel it is so nice to see a naturally beautiful young woman with the least amount of makeup applied.
Your first composition is just wonderful! You did her very proud! She and the camera are one!
Dan

PS The 5D produced some of the best images I ever have!

Mar 07, 2022 at 10:51 AM
Doc25
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gracey

Well done Daniel,
When I look at number 2 my mind says smokin' hot.

I like the fact that you don't use such a large aperature that blurs out the rest of her head.

Mar 07, 2022 at 02:08 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gracey

Well done Daniel.. Love the first one. Those eyes.
Voted!!!

Mar 07, 2022 at 02:19 PM
Dneufarth
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gracey

Stellar images Daniel.

Derek

Mar 07, 2022 at 02:52 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gracey

She keeps me coming back! Such beautiful skin, eyes, hair, lips.....Hautnting! YGMV!
Dan

Mar 07, 2022 at 04:08 PM
skamaraju
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gracey

Nice images.
I am a hobbyist interested in people photography. I like to know few things from experts. Isn't her skin a bit artificial without the natural texture even with little make up? Another thing that is bothering me is the stark difference between the natural skin texture of neck/upper torso and face in 1st image. Am I missing something?

Mar 07, 2022 at 08:48 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gracey

Danpbphoto wrote:
Daniel it is so nice to see a naturally beautiful young woman with the least amount of makeup applied.
Your first composition is just wonderful! You did her very proud! She and the camera are one!
Dan

PS The 5D produced some of the best images I ever have!

Thank you Dan. I was really happy with the makeup as well. She applied it herself, and luckily is very skilled.

The original 5D is such a great camera. Sadly I'm coming to the realization that it's time for me to move on as I'm starting to book better jobs, but I don't think I'll be amiss by upgrading to a 5D MKII or MKIII. I really do love the simplicity of this camera though.

Mar 08, 2022 at 01:05 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gracey

Doc25 wrote:
Well done Daniel,
When I look at number 2 my mind says smokin' hot.

I like the fact that you don't use such a large aperature that blurs out the rest of her head.

Thank you so much Doc. So far that's my favorite from her shoot as well.
I just love the crisp detail you get from these primes when you explore away from the wide open aperture settings. I think so many photographers limit themselves by only exploring the wide open settings and never learn to appreciate what else these lenses can do.

Mar 08, 2022 at 01:08 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gracey

airfrogusmc wrote:
Well done Daniel.. Love the first one. Those eyes.
Voted!!!

Thanks man!

Mar 08, 2022 at 01:08 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gracey

Dneufarth wrote:
Stellar images Daniel.

Derek

Thank you so much Derek.

Mar 08, 2022 at 01:09 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gracey

Danpbphoto wrote:
She keeps me coming back! Such beautiful skin, eyes, hair, lips.....Hautnting! YGMV!
Dan

Haha thank you. I'm really glad you like it so much!

Mar 08, 2022 at 01:09 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gracey

skamaraju wrote:
Nice images.
I am a hobbyist interested in people photography. I like to know few things from experts. Isn't her skin a bit artificial without the natural texture even with little make up? Another thing that is bothering me is the stark difference between the natural skin texture of neck/upper torso and face in 1st image. Am I missing something?

Thank you.

I might have gone a little overboard. Sometimes it's very difficult for me to tell exactly where to draw the line for retouching.

Here's a before and after to illustrate the difference from start to finish. I did my best to retain the natural texture, while only removing blemishes from the skin and using some dodging and burning to blend the tones together a little bit. To me the difference isn't that big, but everyone has their own preferences when it comes to retouching. Out of curiosity, what are you viewing these on? Also just noting that the two spots on her neck are dust spots on the camera sensor, not marks on her skin.

Mar 08, 2022 at 01:14 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Gracey

Beautiful lady, well captured. I prefer the 'original' version, without the retouching.

Mar 08, 2022 at 06:06 AM
skamaraju
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Gracey

DanielScott wrote:
Out of curiosity, what are you viewing these on?

Thanks for your reply. Viewing them on iMac 27inch 5K.

Mar 08, 2022 at 07:33 AM
Starfire8
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Gracey

Your lighting is so even, Daniel! Well done! You really know how to bring out the subject's beauty!

Best regards, David

Mar 08, 2022 at 09:09 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Gracey

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Beautiful lady, well captured. I prefer the 'original' version, without the retouching.

Thank you Rajan.

Mar 08, 2022 at 08:57 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Gracey

Starfire8 wrote:
Your lighting is so even, Daniel! Well done! You really know how to bring out the subject's beauty!

Best regards, David

Thanks David. That's always my number one goal when doing a photo shoot.

Mar 08, 2022 at 08:57 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Gracey

skamaraju wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Viewing them on iMac 27inch 5K.

Odd that you wouldn't see the skin texture then. As you can see in the before/after, the editing was done with subtlety. Regarding the difference in texture between the skin on her face and her neck, that would be because skin texture on the face tends to be different from skin texture on the neck.

Mar 08, 2022 at 08:58 PM
Dave_E
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Gracey

Beautiful images Daniel, #2 for me love the pose and with the blowing hair.

Dave

Mar 19, 2022 at 11:42 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.