New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Golden

DanielScott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Golden

Congratulations to DanielScott for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 10 votes - View Previous Winners

A portrait I took of a friend of a friend. He and I were both visiting our mutual friend at the same time, and I happened to take this a few minutes after meeting him. It was about an hour before sunset and the light coming in through the window was too perfect not to use for a portrait, with the help of a silver reflector.
Photographed using an original Canon 5D with a Canon 85mm f/1.8 lens.

Feb 12, 2022 at 01:32 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Golden

This is insanely gorgeous! Not a fan of the catchlights, maybe bc of their placements. I probably would have removed them, but that's me and that doesn't mean that's the right way to do it. But doesn't matter, just a very minor point! Totally voting for this as featured thread!!! This might be my fave pic of yours to date, and that's saying a lot.

Feb 12, 2022 at 02:26 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Golden

friscoron wrote:
This is insanely gorgeous! Not a fan of the catchlights, maybe bc of their placements. I probably would have removed them, but that's me and that doesn't mean that's the right way to do it. But doesn't matter, just a very minor point! Totally voting for this as featured thread!!! This might be my fave pic of yours to date, and that's saying a lot.

Thanks Ron. I understand about the catchlights. I personally would have preferred there to be catch-lights in both the top and bottom of the eye, but removing them isn't something I considered. In my experience removing catch-lights has always resulted in an uncanny look, so I prefer to leave them.

Feb 12, 2022 at 04:24 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Golden

Nice!!!!

Feb 12, 2022 at 05:49 PM
Dneufarth
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Golden

Incredible portrait.

Derek

Feb 12, 2022 at 06:10 PM
J. Pow
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Golden

Really love the "golden" look of the portrait! The catch lights draw you to his eyes but I wouldn't do any post work on them either. Looks great!

Joel

Feb 13, 2022 at 08:26 AM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Golden

Excellent light - the reflector puts this over the top!

Feb 13, 2022 at 09:49 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Golden

BobnJake wrote:
Nice!!!!

Thanks!

Feb 14, 2022 at 04:36 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Golden

Dneufarth wrote:
Incredible portrait.

Derek

Thank you Derek.

Feb 14, 2022 at 04:36 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Golden

J. Pow wrote:
Really love the "golden" look of the portrait! The catch lights draw you to his eyes but I wouldn't do any post work on them either. Looks great!

Joel

Thank you so much Joel.

Feb 14, 2022 at 04:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Golden

James Markus wrote:
Excellent light - the reflector puts this over the top!

Thank you James.

Feb 14, 2022 at 04:37 PM
JohnSil
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Golden

Hey Daniel nice shot. I completely missed this post. I guess I need to be more attentive!!!
John

Feb 25, 2022 at 10:20 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Golden

Beautiful image of a beautiful subject!

Feb 26, 2022 at 03:05 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Golden

JohnSil wrote:
Hey Daniel nice shot. I completely missed this post. I guess I need to be more attentive!!!
John

Thanks John!

Feb 27, 2022 at 11:50 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Golden

Arka wrote:
Beautiful image of a beautiful subject!

Thank you so much.

Feb 27, 2022 at 11:50 AM
scottiedds
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Golden

Amazing image and portrait !!!!!!

Mar 28, 2022 at 10:12 AM
skirk
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Golden

There is just something about the Canon 5D that just captures portraits so nicely. Even with the new cameras with higher pixel counts etc. the 5D just had that certain look. You do that camera the proper justice with your images.

May 29, 2022 at 02:48 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Golden

skirk wrote:
There is just something about the Canon 5D that just captures portraits so nicely. Even with the new cameras with higher pixel counts etc. the 5D just had that certain look. You do that camera the proper justice with your images.

A lot of people seem to say this about the original 5D specifically, but I don't think I agree. I've used this as my main camera for 11 years, up until very recently when I upgraded to a 5D MKIII. In my experience yes it does render a portrait nicely with the right settings and lighting, but in my experience since switching to a different camera there is no difference to how these cameras render a portrait. As well, I take a lot of care in color correcting/ custom toning in my portraits and I think the final look has much more to do with that than the camera being an original 5D. This is also my experience in using borrowed/rented 5D MKII, MKIV, and 6D cameras. Unless of course you mean to say that the entire line of 5D cameras has a remarkable way of rendering portraits, which I would have to agree so long as a remarkable photographer is the one using it, but this is the case in my opinion with any skilled photographer using any camera.

May 30, 2022 at 02:52 PM
macentropist
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Golden

I like this, yet i do agree the catch lights confuse me 👍🏼

May 31, 2022 at 11:16 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password