New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions

smpetty
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions

Has anyone had THIS PROBLEM with the Sony A1 and Loxia lenses?

As Lloyd wrote, when using the Loxias on my A1:

1. Entering magnified Live View immediately exits - the camera senses that the aperture is being changed
  2. Taking an exposure won’t work. The aperture readout in the camera flickers as if the camera is continually seeing an aperture change.

I have had this occur repeatedly on two copies of the Loxia 21 and 2 copies of the Loxia 25, all using the A1. I haven't tried any other Loxias on my A1, but all of the ones that I have tried have demonstrated the same malfunction. I never had a problem with Loxias on my prior Sony camera bodies (A7RII, A9, A7RIV).

This malfunction makes it impossible to use the Loxia lenses on the A1 body. LLoyd Chambers thought that it was the Loxia lenses malfunctioning but later discovered that the A1 was at fault and that the Loxias worked just fine on his older Sony camera bodies.

Should I send the body and one of the lenses to Precision Camera to be tested and fixed? The A1 is still under warranty.

Thanks in advance for any experiences or suggestions!

Dec 26, 2021 at 11:30 AM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions

How curious.

Since Lloyd also mentioned that he has a Voigtlander 65mm exhibiting the same behaviour on the A1, I'd speculate that it's some sort of incompatibility/glitch between the aperture encoder/chip in the lenses and the camera. Cosina builds both the Loxias and the Voigtlanders, so it seems plausible that they have the same systems inside.

Dec 26, 2021 at 11:38 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions

Very annoying.
Which camera settings do you use?

Dec 26, 2021 at 11:43 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions

I only experienced symptom no. 1 but maybe I was just lucky .
It happened with my manual glass: CV35f1.4 Classic and CV65 APO, on both A7III and A1.
It's hard to tell for me if the frequency increased on A1 (as Lloyd suggests), as I barely use them now ...
The issue does seem intermittent, in a sense that sometimes I don't run into it at all.

Dec 26, 2021 at 11:49 AM
iskraII
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions

Just checked my Loxia 21 and VC 21 Nokton on my A1, no such problem. Did you de click the aperture stop? Both problems appears related to aperture readout.

Dec 26, 2021 at 11:57 AM
RT--
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions

Edited on Apr 02, 2022 at 07:55 AM · View previous versions

Dec 26, 2021 at 01:41 PM
amv8
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions

Curious if you are updated to the latest FW (V1.20)? I think Sony has quietly fixed some bugs/operational malfunctions in this fw.

Dec 26, 2021 at 03:24 PM
smpetty
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions

iskraII wrote:
Just checked my Loxia 21 and VC 21 Nokton on my A1, no such problem. Did you de click the aperture stop? Both problems appears related to aperture readout.

No, but I will try this. Thanks!

Dec 26, 2021 at 11:58 PM
smpetty
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions

amv8 wrote:
Curious if you are updated to the latest FW (V1.20)? I think Sony has quietly fixed some bugs/operational malfunctions in this fw.

I am on the latest A1 firmware - thanks, never thought to check.

Dec 26, 2021 at 11:59 PM
smpetty
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions

k-h.a.w wrote:
Very annoying.
Which camera settings do you use?

MF, single shot, just standard stuff…

Dec 27, 2021 at 12:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

smpetty
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions

MikeEvangelist wrote:
How curious.

Since Lloyd also mentioned that he has a Voigtlander 65mm exhibiting the same behaviour on the A1, I'd speculate that it's some sort of incompatibility/glitch between the aperture encoder/chip in the lenses and the camera. Cosina builds both the Loxias and the Voigtlanders, so it seems plausible that they have the same systems inside.

I have an assortment of Voigtlanders, all native mount and including the 65mm f/2 APO Lanthar Macro, and they all work as expected. Strange. Thanks, Mike.

Dec 27, 2021 at 12:03 AM
LBJ2
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions

smpetty wrote:
Has anyone had THIS PROBLEM with the Sony A1 and Loxia lenses?

As Lloyd wrote, when using the Loxias on my A1:

1. Entering magnified Live View immediately exits - the camera senses that the aperture is being changed
  2. Taking an exposure won’t work. The aperture readout in the camera flickers as if the camera is continually seeing an aperture change.

I have had this occur repeatedly on two copies of the Loxia 21 and 2 copies of the Loxia 25, all using the A1. I haven't tried any other Loxias on my A1, but all of the ones that I have tried have
...Show more

I checked my A1 + Loxia 21. First, time I've tried this pair since owning the A1. Makes for a really nice little kit! I was not able to replicate the problems you described. All operated as as expected.

Dec 27, 2021 at 07:59 AM
Chris_88
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions

Among the lenses mentioned above, I only own the Loxia 21, which I've used quite a bit with the A1. No problems thus far. Same goes for the CV35 and 110. I haven't updated the camera to the newest firmware either.

Dec 27, 2021 at 08:02 AM
RT--
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions

Edited on Apr 02, 2022 at 07:56 AM · View previous versions

Dec 27, 2021 at 09:34 AM
Zayne12
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions

All the loxias I had exhibited this issue on an a7riii and a7iii. Even when I was switching the aperture it would give me a wrong reading or it would jump around. I had the 21-35-50 from the loxias and experienced this problem. It has to do with the aperture ring or chip I'm not sure.

Edited on Dec 27, 2021 at 10:27 AM · View previous versions

Dec 27, 2021 at 10:02 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions

Yeah, it's kinda random and seems to vary from lens to lens.
I don't really recall it happening much, if at all, with CV65 on A7III. On A1 with the same lens though, it did happen to me at least a couple of times.
With CV35 Classic on the other hand, it happened more often on A7III. I will have to use it more on A1, but so far it seems similar in frequency to CV65...

Dec 27, 2021 at 10:10 AM
smpetty
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions

It's a big deal that hasn't been talked about much. It makes the use of Loxias on my A1 impossible. Thank goodness the Voigtlanders that I have (including the CV 65/2 Macro) work well.

I only have one camera body, so sending the A1 in for repair, if that's even possible, would be difficult.

Dec 27, 2021 at 10:23 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions

So, I tried to reproduce the issue with CV35 yesterday and today - of course it was working flawlessly.

(TBH, the combination of A1+CV35Classic seems somewhat unholy).

It seems that once the issue is triggered for the first time, it can then repeat itself rather easily. I don't know what to do to trigger it though (I tried different apertures and turning the focusing ring quickly).
Maybe I'll try with CV65 tomorrow or maybe it's the matter of temperature and other external factors.

Dec 28, 2021 at 07:06 PM
smpetty
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions

j4nu wrote:
So, I tried to reproduce the issue with CV35 yesterday and today - of course it was working flawlessly.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51783781228_62b7a5e327_h.jpg
(TBH, the combination of A1+CV35Classic seems somewhat unholy).

It seems that once the issue is triggered for the first time, it can then repeat itself rather easily. I don't know what to do to trigger it though (I tried different apertures and turning the focusing ring quickly).
Maybe I'll try with CV65 tomorrow or maybe it's the matter of temperature and other external factors.

I’m going to experiment with settings and the lens aperture rings of the Loxias to see if I can get normal operation, at least for a time.

Dec 28, 2021 at 07:51 PM
RT--
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions

Edited on Apr 02, 2022 at 07:56 AM · View previous versions

Jan 09, 2022 at 07:25 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password