Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Stephanie in swimsuits (a7iii and iPhone 13 Pro)

  
 
Dexter75
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stephanie in swimsuits (a7iii and iPhone 13 Pro)


Congratulations to Dexter75 for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 5 votes - View Previous Winners


Did a shoot the other day for a client of mine who designs and makes swimsuits. Used my iPhone 13 Pro alongside my a7III with the Sony 85 f/1.8 and the Tamron 28-200 "travel" lens. Don't really mean for this to be a which photo is best thread, but I do this kind of shoot every year with the new iPhone. Photos are just for use on websites and social media. Ive been shooting portraits professionally for 17 years and this is the first time I can confidently say I would have no issues using my iPhone as a primary camera on a shoot like this. Good times!




















Oct 19, 2021 at 02:39 PM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stephanie in swimsuits (a7iii and iPhone 13 Pro)


I keep telling my family that they are better off using their I-Phone to take a pic, than asking me to take one with my gear, since they are mostly social media use.

As long as you don't pixel peep, you don't see all the artifact / banding patterns that exist throughout. Plenty of areas that look like a topographical map. So, something to be aware of depending on your use.

I'd like to have seen a bit of fill or other light in her eyes, they seem dark (backlit, I know).
Otherwise, yes, the I-Phone can be a legitimate tool.






Oct 19, 2021 at 03:56 PM
Dexter75
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stephanie in swimsuits (a7iii and iPhone 13 Pro)


RustyBug wrote:
I keep telling my family that they are better off using their I-Phone to take a pic, than asking me to take one with my gear, since they are mostly social media use.

As long as you don't pixel peep, you don't see all the artifact / banding patterns that exist throughout. Plenty of areas that look like a topographical map. So, something to be aware of depending on your use.

I'd like to have seen a bit of fill or other light in her eyes, they seem dark (backlit, I know).
Otherwise, yes, the I-Phone can be a legitimate tool.



Agreed. On my 24 inch 4.5k iMac monitor, I can definitely see the imperfections in the iPhone photos. However, very few people these days are looking at photos on large 4k desktop monitors. Most everyone uses smartphones, tablets and laptops. In fact, most clients I work with these days just have me upload their photos to Dropbox where they look at them and do everything they need with them from their smartphones. These photos look nearly identical on those smaller devices. In fact, I think I actually prefer the fake bokeh quality on the iPhone to the real bokeh quality on the Tamron 😃 I wouldn't use an iPhone for print work obviously, but sadly, those days seem long gone. Its been years since Ive had any print work.



Oct 19, 2021 at 05:10 PM
brad-man
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stephanie in swimsuits (a7iii and iPhone 13 Pro)


Let's face it, she'll make any camera look good.


Oct 19, 2021 at 06:18 PM
JohnSil
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stephanie in swimsuits (a7iii and iPhone 13 Pro)


Hey, itís an itsy bitsy teenie weenie blue polkadot bikini!!!
It coulda been a song!
Nice shots.
On my Phone I certainly canít see a difference!
Nice work.
John



Oct 20, 2021 at 02:53 AM
J. Pow
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stephanie in swimsuits (a7iii and iPhone 13 Pro)


As soon as my phone can take a shot at 2.8 400mm i sell all my gear! ! Great shots!

Joel



Oct 20, 2021 at 07:43 AM
Danpbphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Stephanie in swimsuits (a7iii and iPhone 13 Pro)


She is a beautiful, sensuous young woman! I agree with "RB". Things just don't look right on her body tones, skin.....But she is beautiful and can carry the composition.
Dan



Oct 20, 2021 at 07:51 AM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Stephanie in swimsuits (a7iii and iPhone 13 Pro)


Danpbphoto wrote:
She is a beautiful, sensuous young woman! I agree with "RB". Things just don't look right on her body tones, skin.....But she is beautiful and can carry the composition.
Dan


Yeah, I double-checked the various areas to see if they were consistent among pics (i.e. actually her skin). It kinda reminded me of somewhere between a topographical map and burn victim scarring. The "topo" banding exists elsewhere, too ... but, is most readily seen in her skin.



Oct 20, 2021 at 08:37 AM
amacal1
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Stephanie in swimsuits (a7iii and iPhone 13 Pro)


RustyBug wrote:
The "topo" banding exists elsewhere, too ... but, is most readily seen in her skin.


I've never heard of "topo" banding, but what a great descriptor for this phenomenon! That's exactly what it looks like. What causes that? I know some Fuji files had issues with worm-like noise due to some issue with their color array and adobe's demosaicing algorithm, but this doesn't seem like that.



Oct 20, 2021 at 08:43 AM
Danpbphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Stephanie in swimsuits (a7iii and iPhone 13 Pro)


RustyBug wrote:
Yeah, I double-checked the various areas to see if they were consistent among pics (i.e. actually her skin). It kinda reminded me of somewhere between a topographical map and burn victim scarring. The "topo" banding exists elsewhere, too ... but, is most readily seen in her skin.


All that being said, she sure is a beautiful young woman! I tend to disregard imperfections, however slight or hard, when observing such beauty! Guess that is being an olde fart!
Dan



Oct 20, 2021 at 08:46 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Dexter75
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Stephanie in swimsuits (a7iii and iPhone 13 Pro)


RustyBug wrote:
Yeah, I double-checked the various areas to see if they were consistent among pics (i.e. actually her skin). It kinda reminded me of somewhere between a topographical map and burn victim scarring. The "topo" banding exists elsewhere, too ... but, is most readily seen in her skin.


I believe thatís from the Luminar AI edit and not the iPhone. Iíve noticed it in all my photos edited in Luminar when zoomed in around 200%. I donít see it on this one but your eyes may be better than mine. I will post an unedited shot off the iPhone and see if it shows up.



Oct 20, 2021 at 09:51 AM
Doc25
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Stephanie in swimsuits (a7iii and iPhone 13 Pro)


Beautiful images, I see the worms in #1&2 but not in 3. Oddly enough #3 is my favorite before I went looking. Don't know if its her facial expression or just something different.

On a side note, I envy your job. I'm sure that you have good and bad days like everyone else, but I think your good days are definitely "gooder" than most of my good days.



Oct 20, 2021 at 11:12 AM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Stephanie in swimsuits (a7iii and iPhone 13 Pro)


Danpbphoto wrote:
I tend to disregard imperfections,


Yeah, I look past them also take in the "whole" of an image. But, I often feel compelled to share with our fellow FM'ers ... "in case" it might be something meaningful to them. It's not meant to be negative, just observant.

I've learned long ago, that I can always "print small" to cover a LOT of my own technical imperfections.



Oct 20, 2021 at 11:18 AM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Stephanie in swimsuits (a7iii and iPhone 13 Pro)


Dexter75 wrote:
I believe thatís from the Luminar AI edit and not the iPhone. Iíve noticed it in all my photos edited in Luminar when zoomed in around 200%. I donít see it on this one but your eyes may be better than mine. I will post an unedited shot off the iPhone and see if it shows up.


AI ... gotcha.

That's the reason why I don't use AI.

Someday, AI might be an okay thing. And for routine stuff, I guess it probably serves a purpose. But, I (and others I've spoken with feel similar) don't think AI is ready for prime time on the big stage. At least not in terms of without using the same level of critical scrutiny that you would for any other form of critical work.

In other words, the "automatic" aspect of AI might help with some problems, but it also creates other problems that you have to be vigilantly on guard for ... if your work has any degree of critical element to it. Social media ... not that critical.

My guess is that you'll find the topographical banding to be PP / AI related, more so than iPhone (itself) related.




Oct 20, 2021 at 11:23 AM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Stephanie in swimsuits (a7iii and iPhone 13 Pro)


amacal1 wrote:
I've never heard of "topo" banding, but what a great descriptor for this phenomenon! That's exactly what it looks like. What causes that? I know some Fuji files had issues with worm-like noise due to some issue with their color array and adobe's demosaicing algorithm, but this doesn't seem like that.



I've never heard it mentioned that way before either (but, I've never seen it like that before, too) ... just tried to find a way of describing it, and that's how it struck me.

+1 ... not worms.



Oct 20, 2021 at 11:28 AM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Stephanie in swimsuits (a7iii and iPhone 13 Pro)


Doc25 wrote:
Beautiful images, I see the worms in #1&2 but not in 3. Oddly enough #3 is my favorite before I went looking. Don't know if its her facial expression or just something different.

On a side note, I envy your job. I'm sure that you have good and bad days like everyone else, but I think your good days are definitely "gooder" than most of my good days.


+1 ... not #3



Oct 20, 2021 at 11:30 AM
KE_Photo
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Stephanie in swimsuits (a7iii and iPhone 13 Pro)


who designs and makes swimsuits

From a different perspective - if the subject was swimwear and not "hot model" - they feel awkward due to poor fit. ("underboob"). She needed some tape or adjustment to help. Probably none of the guys viewing will care...they might even like it. She might not even mind. It's just the first thing that jumped out to me.



Oct 20, 2021 at 11:58 AM
JohnSil
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Stephanie in swimsuits (a7iii and iPhone 13 Pro)


KE_Photo wrote:
From a different perspective - if the subject was swimwear and not "hot model" - they feel awkward due to poor fit. ("underboob"). She needed some tape or adjustment to help. Probably none of the guys viewing will care...they might even like it. She might not even mind. It's just the first thing that jumped out to me.


Sorry KE but this is just not your Father's Oldsmobile!
This is a designer suit and it's made to fit that way. fortunately this model has pretty small boobs. Plenty of DDD girls out there wearing suits WAY smaller than that! As long as the nipples are pretty much mostly covered the suit is plenty big enough! LoL
It's a brave new and sexy world out there!!!
John



Oct 20, 2021 at 12:55 PM
Dexter75
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Stephanie in swimsuits (a7iii and iPhone 13 Pro)


Doc25 wrote:
Beautiful images, I see the worms in #1&2 but not in 3. Oddly enough #3 is my favorite before I went looking. Don't know if its her facial expression or just something different.

On a side note, I envy your job. I'm sure that you have good and bad days like everyone else, but I think your good days are definitely "gooder" than most of my good days.


Thanks, can't complain most days! Someone else here mentioned they see it photos 1&2 but not 3 which is odd because 3 is the iPhone shot.



Oct 20, 2021 at 01:15 PM
Doc25
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Stephanie in swimsuits (a7iii and iPhone 13 Pro)


Just to add, I'm viewing on phone.


Oct 20, 2021 at 02:59 PM
1
       2       end






FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password