Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2021 · Techart TZG-01 (Contax G to Nikon Z AF Adapter)

pkmx

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Techart TZG-01 (Contax G to Nikon Z AF Adapter)

It seems like Techart is about to announce the TZG-01 autofocus adapter for Contax G lenses to Nikon Z cameras. Note that Techart also previously made the TA-GA3 for Sony E-mount cameras.

There is already a short review in Chinese:

https://www.163.com/dy/article/GM9C1B300511A5TI.html

- The adapter is made in metal with inner flocking to reduce reflections
- AF support including AF-C and eye-AF
- The review says that it is fairly quick and accurate for static subjects and also decent for slow moving targets
- There is a tab on the adapter for manual focusing
- EXIF metadata support
- Some sample shots with the G45/2 mounted on the Z7II in the link above

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:08 AM
Robert Mustell

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Techart TZG-01 (Contax G to Nikon Z AF Adapter)

Looks awesome, can’t wait to try it.

Oct 15, 2021 at 04:52 PM
lsds
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Techart TZG-01 (Contax G to Nikon Z AF Adapter)

Pre orders have opened in Hong Kong and price appears to be ~ $250(USD). Waiting …

https://www.tincheungonline.com.hk/products/techart-tzg-01

Oct 25, 2021 at 03:41 PM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Techart TZG-01 (Contax G to Nikon Z AF Adapter)

Makes me wish I’d never sold my black trio!

Oct 25, 2021 at 06:07 PM
lsds
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Techart TZG-01 (Contax G to Nikon Z AF Adapter)

AdaptedLenses wrote:
Makes me wish I’d never sold my black trio!

Hello there- I remember your gorgeous black trio on the A7 and PCX adventures that got me hooked onto the CG glass on mirrorless journey!!
The adapter wait has been trying indeed, trust me! After buying both a TA-GA3 & TZE-01 and then finding they don’t work paired on the Nikon Z. Then waiting for a firmware “update” that would “fix” this(one that never happened) as promised by some techie/seller from the Techart/ZY end- 3 yrs later I will get something that finally works but I have to now find buyers for 2 new, unused but depreciated-in-value adapters.

Oct 25, 2021 at 06:17 PM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Techart TZG-01 (Contax G to Nikon Z AF Adapter)

Haha, they were fun. Wish I could remember my motivation for selling, especially looking at prices to re-buy! Might have been the 90 was touchy on the adapter. The 45 will probably play a little nicer with the slightly thinner Z stack too.

Best of luck with these! Definitely might dip my toe back in.

lsds wrote:
Hello there- I remember your gorgeous black trio on the A7 and PCX adventures that got me hooked onto the CG glass on mirrorless journey!!
The adapter wait has been trying indeed, trust me! After buying both a TA-GA3 & TZE-01 and then finding they don’t work paired on the Nikon Z. Then waiting for a firmware “update” that would “fix” this(one that never happened) as promised by some techie/seller from the Techart/ZY end- 3 yrs later I will get something that finally works but I have to now find buyers for 2 new, unused but depreciated-in-value adapters.

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:08 AM
lsds
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Techart TZG-01 (Contax G to Nikon Z AF Adapter)

This adapter is now selling on Ali express for those interested. Not yet available on the Techart official site yet though.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vtecQA

Dec 11, 2021 at 07:18 PM
lsds
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Techart TZG-01 (Contax G to Nikon Z AF Adapter)

Just ordered one!!
The adapter is now officially available on the Techart shop with 2 years warranty & free shipping offered worldwide. Kevin from Techart shared this link earlier today to officially purchase the adapter.(now also on the techartpro site under Products).

https://techartpro.com/?product=techart-contax-g-to-nikon-z-autofocus-adapters-tzg-01

Dec 18, 2021 at 12:27 PM
lsds
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Techart TZG-01 (Contax G to Nikon Z AF Adapter)

Sharing some early examples with the TZG-01 AF adapter on Z6 with the CG lenses.
Fit, finish and focussing is greatly improved from the TA-GA3 days. Allows MF, AF-S & AF-C . Any focus fine tuning if further needed can be via the manual wheel. Low light performance is also commendable and IBIS works( even though I forgot to key in the aperture initially).
EXIF is recorded except for the actual lens aperture used for the capture (f/number).

CG 21 with PCX 1500 on Z6
https://flic.kr/p/2mURhhf
https://flic.kr/p/2mUPowY

CG45 on Z6
https://flic.kr/p/2mURm7E
https://flic.kr/p/2mUMtHa

Jan 01, 2022 at 09:09 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Techart TZG-01 (Contax G to Nikon Z AF Adapter)

Thank you for sharing your experience with the adapter and the Contax lenses.

On the second set of pictures looks like one of those was shot with a 35mm lens according to the exif info.

Regards.

Marcelo

Jan 01, 2022 at 10:26 PM
lsds
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Techart TZG-01 (Contax G to Nikon Z AF Adapter)

Lightsearcher wrote:
Thank you for sharing your experience with the adapter and the Contax lenses.

On the second set of pictures looks like one of those was shot with a 35mm lens according to the exif info.

Regards.

Marcelo

Indeed- that second set with the CG45 is where I incorrectly keyed in a lens f value(f/1.8) and the adapter assumed a CG35 was used. Lowlight & IBIS still worked fine handheld.

Jan 02, 2022 at 03:41 AM
Robert Mustell

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Techart TZG-01 (Contax G to Nikon Z AF Adapter)

I’m unable to get mine to focus. Anybody have any tips for usage?

Feb 12, 2022 at 08:40 AM
lsds
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Techart TZG-01 (Contax G to Nikon Z AF Adapter)

Robert Mustell wrote:
I’m unable to get mine to focus. Anybody have any tips for usage?

Do you mean with the AF adapter? PCX?
Could you please specify your lens and actual issue?

Feb 12, 2022 at 09:58 AM
Robert Mustell

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Techart TZG-01 (Contax G to Nikon Z AF Adapter)

I’m referring to the AF adapter. This is on a Z9.

So far I’ve tried the 90, 45, 35 and 28. I have the 21mm but I haven’t tried it.

The only one that kind of works is the 35mm.

The others I can get it to engage the focusing mechanism but the only lens that will kind of focus beyond just powering on the camera is the 35mm.

The instructions that came with it are only in what I presume is Chinese.

The camera is off, I install the adapter onto the camera. Then I install the lens on the adapter. Then I power on the camera in Aperture priority mode and use the front dial to match the aperture listed in the table based on the focal length of the lens.

I can hear the motor in the adapter working and it moves the lens elements but for all but the 35 mm it seems incapable of actually delivering focus.

With the lenses I try cycling the camera power and the motor in the adaptor comes on, etc. but it doesn’t find focus and doesn’t respond to me attempting to autofocus with the camera or manually focus with the little wheel on the adapter.

Feb 12, 2022 at 11:30 AM
lsds
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Techart TZG-01 (Contax G to Nikon Z AF Adapter)

Robert Mustell wrote:
I’m referring to the AF adapter. This is on a Z9.

So far I’ve tried the 90, 45, 35 and 28. I have the 21mm but I haven’t tried it.

The only one that kind of works is the 35mm.

The others I can get it to engage the focusing mechanism but the only lens that will kind of focus beyond just powering on the camera is the 35mm.

The instructions that came with it are only in what I presume is Chinese.

The camera is off, I install the adapter onto the camera. Then I install the lens on the adapter. Then I
...Show more

This is strange as with me, the TZG worked perfectly from the very first time I began using it- I use it on the 21,28,45&90 on the Z6. Wonder if there is any fine tuning for the Z9 needed?JFYI- the site does not list the Z9 in the list.
If it was me, I would first update the adapter to the latest firmware available(PC/MAC via USB). Then try with the 45 first with correct Aperture f-value entered and make sure the camera(adapter) is powered off when you mount/unmount. What is your AF setting in the Z9 mapped to(not turned off of MF only)? I had to change these options as all my lenses on the Z6 are used with MF only.

If that still doesn’t work, perhaps drop a mail to Kevin(xxxxx) and Ming(xxxxx) - they should be able to offer insight as they had put in a lot of hard work behind this adapter.

Feb 12, 2022 at 02:10 PM
Robert Mustell

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Techart TZG-01 (Contax G to Nikon Z AF Adapter)

Must be something with the Z9 then. Only the 35mm seems to work somewhat.

I messed with it more today in bright sunlight and repeated the results from before.

I got the emails in the PM, thank you. I’ll email them and see if there is a path forward with Z9.

I don’t have a Z6, Z7 or the IIs of either to compare with.

Feb 13, 2022 at 11:26 AM
lsds
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Techart TZG-01 (Contax G to Nikon Z AF Adapter)

Robert Mustell wrote:
Must be something with the Z9 then. Only the 35mm seems to work somewhat.

I messed with it more today in bright sunlight and repeated the results from before.

I got the emails in the PM, thank you. I’ll email them and see if there is a path forward with Z9.

I don’t have a Z6, Z7 or the IIs of either to compare with.

Were you able to update the adapter to the latest firmware? It needs to be done on the PC via this installable:
https://www.techartpro.com/firmware/TECHART_Updater_2021.zip

Feb 13, 2022 at 11:29 AM
Robert Mustell

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Techart TZG-01 (Contax G to Nikon Z AF Adapter)

lsds wrote:
Were you able to update the adapter to the latest firmware? It needs to be done on the PC via this installable:
https://www.techartpro.com/firmware/TECHART_Updater_2021.zip

I don’t see on their website where they have a firmware update available for the TGZ. Is it just one update for all of them?

I’ll download the one that you linked and see if it does anything.

Feb 13, 2022 at 01:13 PM
Robert Mustell

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Techart TZG-01 (Contax G to Nikon Z AF Adapter)

No change with firmware from download.

If the manual focus knob worked even if AF doesn't I'd be quite a bit ahead but it doesn't seem to work either.

Oh well, took a chance. Hopefully it works sooner rather than later.

I just wanted the opportunity to "play" with my Contax G lenses.

Feb 13, 2022 at 01:45 PM
AlanD
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Techart TZG-01 (Contax G to Nikon Z AF Adapter)

Any updates to the Z9 / Contax G?

Mar 21, 2022 at 12:47 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.