Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Sony A7RII / A7RIII / A7III Thin Filter Mod ~~The ultimate way For Sony ...

samlee.hk

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony A7RII / A7RIII / A7III Thin Filter Mod ~~The ultimate way For Sony Cameras using Leica M lenses

I have been using A7R2/ R3 / M3 thin mod cameras for more than six years.

I have used many Leica original or Zeiss, Sony FE lenses...

After the thinning of the Sony body, the edge of the image improved.

Even a 35/50mm lens can be more high definition, sharp image, reduce the sense of fog.

If you use the Sony body + Leica lens and feel disappointed, you may be after the thinning you will love ...

The article has a large number of photos to illustrate ... Let the pictures speak for themselves!

Leica 50AA, 11663, 11874, 21/3.4SE, 28lux, Noct v2/v4, 50ASPH, 90E55, 90/2.8E46 ... Contax G16/G21/G28/G35/G45 ....

Leica 50 APO F2+ A7R2 thin mod

Leica 35mm F1.4 11663 + A7R2 thin mod

Full Review:

Sony A7RII / A7RIII / A7III Thin Filter Mod ~~The ultimate way For Sony Cameras using Leica M lenses

Jul 24, 2021 at 08:42 AM
genji
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony A7RII / A7RIII / A7III Thin Filter Mod ~~The ultimate way For Sony Cameras using Leica M lenses

Very useful and informative overview. But you donít mention which thin-sensor conversion vendors you have used or would recommendÖ

Jul 24, 2021 at 06:52 PM
samlee.hk

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony A7RII / A7RIII / A7III Thin Filter Mod ~~The ultimate way For Sony Cameras using Leica M lenses

genji wrote:
Very useful and informative overview. But you donít mention which thin-sensor conversion vendors you have used or would recommendÖ

thx for interest,
the article that I am using NKIR v3 + (without cover glass +0.85 thin filter from Taiwan) for A7R3/ A7M3, which provide a similar AWB with Sony A7 series camera
NKIR v2+ for A7R2 which will have more red in AWB...

Jul 24, 2021 at 09:02 PM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony A7RII / A7RIII / A7III Thin Filter Mod ~~The ultimate way For Sony Cameras using Leica M lenses

samlee.hk wrote:
thx for interest,
the article that I am using NKIR v3 + (without cover glass +0.85 thin filter from Taiwan) for A7R3/ A7M3, which provide a similar AWB with Sony A7 series camera
NKIR v2+ for A7R2 which will have more red in AWB...

Thank you for the prompt reply. I have an A7R3 that I'm interested in having converted. How does one order the NKIR v3?

Jul 24, 2021 at 09:30 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony A7RII / A7RIII / A7III Thin Filter Mod ~~The ultimate way For Sony Cameras using Leica M lenses

samlee.hk wrote:
Full Review:

Wow, that is an excellent compendium of cover-glass modifications and their effects! I can't believe you actually tested, or even own, the G-Rokkor 28 LTMóa lens on my top to-buy list. I also shoot film, so the G has a purpose even if it doesn't perform on any digital sensor.

Jul 25, 2021 at 03:12 PM
samlee.hk

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony A7RII / A7RIII / A7III Thin Filter Mod ~~The ultimate way For Sony Cameras using Leica M lenses

rico wrote:
Wow, that is an excellent compendium of cover-glass modifications and their effects! I can't believe you actually tested, or even own, the G-Rokkor 28 LTMóa lens on my top to-buy list. I also shoot film, so the G has a purpose even if it doesn't perform on any digital sensor.

I owned G-Rokkor LTM for more than 10 years and used it on different digital cameras at different time
finally, I can enjoy this lens on A7M3 NKIR v3+ thin mod...

Minolta G-Rokkor 28mm F3.5 LTM

Jul 25, 2021 at 09:42 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony A7RII / A7RIII / A7III Thin Filter Mod ~~The ultimate way For Sony Cameras using Leica M lenses

samlee.hk wrote:
Minolta G-Rokkor 28mm F3.5 LTM

Great review of this unusual lens! I looked many times at the TC-1, and was impressed with Minolta's design with Waterhouse stops. Unfortunately, I was already invested with the Contax T3, and with the Contax T (I own three of them). The G would be a better match for my M- and LTM-mount film cameras. A thin-cover Alpha 7 is still somewhere in the future for me.

Jul 25, 2021 at 10:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

zeroAska

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony A7RII / A7RIII / A7III Thin Filter Mod ~~The ultimate way For Sony Cameras using Leica M lenses

Is Sony GM lens's AF performance affected by the thin-cover mod?

Jul 26, 2021 at 08:45 PM
samlee.hk

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony A7RII / A7RIII / A7III Thin Filter Mod ~~The ultimate way For Sony Cameras using Leica M lenses

zeroAska wrote:
Is Sony GM lens's AF performance affected by the thin-cover mod?

no problems at all situation, I used 35GM, 50GM, Batis25/40/85, 35/1.4ZA... I don't see any difference between the thin-cover mod...

Jul 26, 2021 at 08:47 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony A7RII / A7RIII / A7III Thin Filter Mod ~~The ultimate way For Sony Cameras using Leica M lenses

this is great!

i did a review of some of the same lenses on a classic A7 with the kolari UT sensor mod here

i've been shooting with that camera and a variety of m-glass ever since. i'm curious to see how the different mods compare as i will be needing a camera upgrade soon.

Jul 28, 2021 at 11:55 AM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony A7RII / A7RIII / A7III Thin Filter Mod ~~The ultimate way For Sony Cameras using Leica M lenses

So Iíll ask again: how does one go about ordering an NKIR conversion? (Iím in Australia.)

Jul 28, 2021 at 06:46 PM
jstrawman
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony A7RII / A7RIII / A7III Thin Filter Mod ~~The ultimate way For Sony Cameras using Leica M lenses

genji wrote:
So Iíll ask again: how does one go about ordering an NKIR conversion? (Iím in Australia.)

This thread may be of some help to you:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1544095/0

Jul 28, 2021 at 09:05 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony A7RII / A7RIII / A7III Thin Filter Mod ~~The ultimate way For Sony Cameras using Leica M lenses

genji wrote:

Hi Jonathan,

Most of us have contacted them through Facebook. When I was looking to have my Sony A7rII modified, I contacted them but ultimately went with Kolari Vision. Their Facebook pages are:

https://www.facebook.com/NKIRStudio/

https://www.facebook.com/nk.chang.7

https://www.facebook.com/groups/260689301117729/

Ultimately, my camera was modified by Kolari Vision just before the Pandemic hit in February of last year. For me I was very very fortunate because Kolari Vision was not very busy and I had my camera back from Kolari Vision with their UT sensor modification in less than about a week being shipped from eastern Pennsylvania to New Jersey- only in my case about 70 miles or so away. I was shocked with the turnaround. Had my camera been sent to I believe Taiwan who knows how long the camera modification would have taken.

I could be mistaken, but when Vivek (realvivek) and I discussed the options via PM, I think that he thought that the Kolari Vision modification would be tougher and less likely to have damage than the NKIR.

But for me at the time of my modification, my WA M-mount lenses consisted of the Zeiss 35mm f1.4 Distagon ZM, Leica 24mm f3.8 ASPH, my Leica M WATE, Minolta CLE 28mm f2.8 M-Rokkor, and Minolta CLE 40mm f2 M-Rokkor. Now I have added the new Voigtlander 28mm f2 Ultron II Asph VM, and Fred's Voigtlander 12mm f5.6 Heliar III VM lenses.

I will be divesting myself of the Minolta 28mm f2.8 when the temperatures become cooler to avoid the possibility of the dreaded White Spots forming on the lens.

Rich

Edited on Jul 28, 2021 at 09:35 PM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2021 at 09:14 PM
samlee.hk

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony A7RII / A7RIII / A7III Thin Filter Mod ~~The ultimate way For Sony Cameras using Leica M lenses

sebboh wrote:
this is great!

i did a review of some of the same lenses on a classic A7 with the kolari UT sensor mod here

I've been shooting with that camera and a variety of m-glass ever since. i'm curious to see how the different mods compare as i will be needing a camera upgrade soon.

Thank you for your review, I read it a lot after I have done the thin filter mod since 2015...
I did different types of NKIR thin mod before:

2015, A7R2 A7R2 + NKIR v1= 0.7+0.7=1.4mm , v1 filter AWB tends to be too red...
2017, A7R2 A7R2 + NKIR v2+ Extreme thin mod (Remove Cover Glass) = 0.85+0=0.85, V2+ filter AWB better than v1 filter, but AWB still a little bid red...
2018-2020, A7R3/ M3 +NKIR v3 Extreme thin mod 0.75+0= 0.75, V3 filter tend to be more similar to Sony Org, after fine-tune AWB B0.5, G0.2, it much better...In a normal situation, there is no need to have URIR cut filter, but on an extremely Sunny day, Using a UVIR cut filter will correct the AWB, like Leica M8/M8.2...

It seems that Kolari ultra-thin mod, the thin filter tend to be too red...
The advantage of removing cover glass is that you can use a 0.7-0.85mm filter to correct the AWB easily and more stable...
NKIR thin mod, does have V4 thin filter mod, the thin filter ready have UVIR cut coating, but the AWB tends to be more green, not so stable than v3 filter, so I still remain to have v3+ filter...

After 6 years with different thin filter mod, my experience is that , what thin mod depends on what lenses you use most, if you are just using GR21/3.5LTM, ZMC21/4.5... Standard thin mod 1.4mm or Nikon Z7 ORG 1.67mm is good enough for edge improvement...Using a 0.7-0.85mm thin filter will have a better AWB correction or stable color performance...

If you want to use Contax G16, Minolta G-Rokkor 28mm F3.5 LTM, remove cover glass (0.75+0)or using Kolari thin mod (0.2+0.7)is the only way...24-30mp is much more better than 42mp/61mp...

For Z7 ORG : 0.5+0.47+0.7 = 1.67mm
For A7R3 ORG : 1.78+0.7 = 2.48mm
For A7R3 NKIR Standard thin mod = 0.75+0.7=1.45mm
For A7R3 NKIR Extreme thin Mod (Remove Cover Glass) = 0.75+0 = 0.75mm

total 1.7mm NKIR v3+ thin filter mod

AS coating

full spectrum conversion

NKIR B03/B05/Y03 this like Kolari Vision IR , but NKIR was released two years before Kolari.

M9 change thin filter

Jul 28, 2021 at 09:28 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password