Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Dogwood of Yosemite

Gregg B.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dogwood of Yosemite

Congratulations to Gregg B. for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 18 votes - View Previous Winners

A couple of weeks ago I spent several days in the Yosemite NP looking for a nice dogwood shots. I've got a word from a good friend of mine that the trees were blooming so I drove up to the valley and explored the place looking for my images. I never shot dogwood before, and to be honest, I'm not really into flower/macro photography. But, I'll be exhibiting this summer at the Festival of Arts in Laguna Beach (if you're local, stop by my booth, say hi), so I wanted to have a few good shots of flowers. I've exhibited at that festival before and quite few customers asked me if I have prints of flowers etc. I never had, so obviously I didn't make any sales
This experience also thought me a lesson, and changed the way I look at (my) photography a bit. I started to re-think my "hard core landscapes only" photography idea, and moved towards more of a (wider) nature photography instead that includes intimate, macro, flower (with telephoto), forest, flow of water/stream etc. types of shots. I've shot some of that types of imagery before but I almost always looked for something (a lake or mountain in the background) to complement and complete the landscape shot I really was after.
I still love mountains and I already set up a few good hikes to high Sierra Nevada this summer/fall but I sure will look at any possible macro or intimate shots I practically always ignored.
Besides dogwood I also included shots of plumeria and poppies I shot around my house driving Ortega Highway etc.
Most of the dogwood shots I took with my Nikon 180-400mm f/4.0, or 70-200mm Z lenses.

May 13, 2021 at 06:03 PM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dogwood of Yosemite

So beautifully taken flowers - highly impressive each shot

May 13, 2021 at 06:08 PM
jforkner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dogwood of Yosemite

Dogwoods are very nice. The simplicity of the images is really refreshing.

May 13, 2021 at 06:33 PM
BijouxandBeads

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dogwood of Yosemite

These are all first-rate flower shots, but the cascading dogwood blooms from the back, which are both "front lit" and also "back-lit" cause you're behind them and the sun is in front of them (lol I just confused myself) - anyway, those are spectacular, and the bokeh "behind" them is perfect with those shifting medium to deep blues that make the white and green pop...make sure that one is printed large and front and center of your display - it will draw lots of traffic. My second favorite is the soft simplicity and colors of the second one. I've never seen dogwood pods before they flowered, and the beauty of those pods really jumps out.

May 13, 2021 at 08:04 PM
dallvr
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dogwood of Yosemite

Beautiful photos of flowers! I'm sure you will get a great reception from the visitors to your exhibit, and hopefully a lot of sales.

May 13, 2021 at 08:24 PM
CDalessandro
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dogwood of Yosemite

Gorgeous! Each and every one of them.

Carol

May 13, 2021 at 08:28 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dogwood of Yosemite

These are fantastic Greg! I've been shooting flowers for a long time, but have never found this kind of light!

Greg

May 13, 2021 at 08:38 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dogwood of Yosemite

dallvr wrote:
Beautiful photos of flowers! I'm sure you will get a great reception from the visitors to your exhibit, and hopefully a lot of sales.

Thanks.... I printed the first one, large! Hopefully it'll draw customers to my booth

May 13, 2021 at 11:07 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dogwood of Yosemite

lovely images Greg

May 14, 2021 at 03:34 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dogwood of Yosemite

I'll pass on the dogwoods.

Your last two images are marvellous, and should make for great prints.

May 14, 2021 at 04:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

J. Pow
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dogwood of Yosemite

All fantastic images! My favorite is 6, which i think is out of this world good!

Joel

May 14, 2021 at 08:09 AM
QuantumLight

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dogwood of Yosemite

Very impressive photos - all of them! Thank you for sharing.

May 14, 2021 at 08:22 AM
Mr.Gale
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dogwood of Yosemite

I like them all.

Mr.G

May 14, 2021 at 10:16 AM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Dogwood of Yosemite

Great images. thanks for the info too. I figured you must shoot with a longer lens to blur that background so nicely. These are excellent and I'll bet you get some sales from this collection.

May 14, 2021 at 05:33 PM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Dogwood of Yosemite

Gorgeous, all!
I especially like the very shallow depth-of-field to accentuate the blooms.
While I always enjoy the annual "dogwoods-with-Merced-rushing by" that show up here, they are often a little too busy.
Your views, by comparison, are a perfect change-of-pace.

May 14, 2021 at 05:56 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Dogwood of Yosemite

The one with poopies I shot with Nikon 105mm macro lens, and this is the only one I used macro lens for. Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 Z can focus at much closer distance now, and it’s great for these types of shots…

gordon l wrote:
Great images. thanks for the info too. I figured you must shoot with a longer lens to blur that background so nicely. These are excellent and I'll bet you get some sales from this collection.

May 16, 2021 at 11:38 AM
camboman
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Dogwood of Yosemite

Lovely colors.

Beautifully composed!

May 16, 2021 at 06:48 PM
sweat100fm

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Dogwood of Yosemite

The lighting brings great outline and contrast to the flowers!

May 16, 2021 at 10:32 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Dogwood of Yosemite

Beautiful set.

May 16, 2021 at 11:04 PM
fotofoow
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Dogwood of Yosemite

Beautiful work as usual. Numbers 1,6 and 8 especially appeal to me because of the simplicity and wonderful light.

May 18, 2021 at 01:23 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password