Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Kananaskis River Alberta - 3rd Try - With Some Colour

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kananaskis River Alberta - 3rd Try - With Some Colour

Okay, this is my 3rd (and likely final attempt) at this same spot, this morning. I finally got some good light but I will let you judge whether I need to move on to another location or season or time of day.

Comments and feedback are appreciated.

Scott

1-2 of 2

1 Landscape Version

Canon EOS R5    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    45mm    f/11.0    5s    100 ISO    -1.0 EV  

2 Portrait Version

Canon EOS R5    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    55mm    f/11.0    5s    100 ISO    -1.0 EV  

Mar 07, 2021 at 05:28 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kananaskis River Alberta - 3rd Try - With Some Colour

Scott, the portrait version is the winner as far as I am concerned.

Nicely done!

Mar 07, 2021 at 05:33 PM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kananaskis River Alberta - 3rd Try - With Some Colour

beautiful than previous ones. Beautiful image set in nice composition

Mar 07, 2021 at 05:33 PM
keepclicking
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kananaskis River Alberta - 3rd Try - With Some Colour

Scott, your persistence has paid off👍🏻 Find a wall in your house to hang the portrait version. Amazing capture. Keep them coming please 🙏

Mar 07, 2021 at 06:57 PM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kananaskis River Alberta - 3rd Try - With Some Colour

You nailed it. Move on.

Mar 07, 2021 at 07:26 PM
cfitz

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kananaskis River Alberta - 3rd Try - With Some Colour

Great shots.

Mar 07, 2021 at 08:17 PM
dallvr
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kananaskis River Alberta - 3rd Try - With Some Colour

Terrific shots! If forced to choose, I would go with #2, but #1 is a beauty too.

Mar 07, 2021 at 08:39 PM
briangg
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kananaskis River Alberta - 3rd Try - With Some Colour

This scene really doesn't grab me and pull me in. Maybe a stronger foreground.

Mar 07, 2021 at 08:53 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Kananaskis River Alberta - 3rd Try - With Some Colour

The portrait version for the win. Excuse me general lack of knowledge when it comes to snow, but is it already melting? The stream appears clear and the snow/ice overhangs appear to be falling into the river.

Mar 08, 2021 at 06:01 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Kananaskis River Alberta - 3rd Try - With Some Colour

pliukait: Glad you like the portrait. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

junglialoh: Glad you like the set and compositions. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

keepclicking: Glad you like the portrait. I usually shoot in the other direction and look back and see amazing light. So this and my pursuit of finding new locations takes me to this spot. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

jforkner: Thanks for the encouragement. I have another spot nearby that I have to work on. So I am moving on. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Mar 08, 2021 at 08:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Kananaskis River Alberta - 3rd Try - With Some Colour

cfitz: Glad you like the shots. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

dallvr: Glad you like 2. In retrospect, it makes the mountain bigger and the composition is better. Much appreciated. Scott

briangg: Thanks for the honesty. I think, to improve the composition, I need to be lower on the river, but its about 6' drop down into the channel and a rope to get back out. eg perhaps too dangerous. Maybe I need to snowshoe further down the river. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Mar 08, 2021 at 09:03 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Kananaskis River Alberta - 3rd Try - With Some Colour

JimKied wrote:
The portrait version for the win. Excuse me general lack of knowledge when it comes to snow, but is it already melting? The stream appears clear and the snow/ice overhangs appear to be falling into the river.

Glad you like the Portrait version.

Alberta is very variable. At this time of year we can be plus 10 (40f) or - 40 (-40). We have had about a week of warm. So there is some melt. This river as well is controlled by a hydro dam, and so it goes way up in the day when power is needed and way down when I am there in early morning (eg a dangerous river). But the days are getting longer - almost 12 hours per day now and its starting to feel like spring.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Mar 08, 2021 at 09:06 AM
Miko_Skye
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Kananaskis River Alberta - 3rd Try - With Some Colour

I kinda like these. Personal aesthetics might tone down the shadow recovery and saturation, but for composition and overall image, I would be delighted if I had captured these - so I hope you are too.

Mar 08, 2021 at 10:21 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Kananaskis River Alberta - 3rd Try - With Some Colour

The light on the peak and clouds in the first one is lovely.

Mar 08, 2021 at 11:17 AM
shibutg
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Kananaskis River Alberta - 3rd Try - With Some Colour

Beautifully framed landscapes, both images have it's own identity, love both. If I've to pick one I will go with the vertical (2) for the more pronounced glow and and details. YGMV

Shibu

Mar 08, 2021 at 02:49 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Kananaskis River Alberta - 3rd Try - With Some Colour

Dude, you are SO tearing it up!!! Thank you for keeping on with the posting all these years. I love your work, and always have! Sorry I have not replied to your message on my photo. I have been working 18 hours days 6 days a week right now and it is really hard to get to the messages sometimes. BUT... I WILL!!!

Congrats!

Mar 08, 2021 at 03:52 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Kananaskis River Alberta - 3rd Try - With Some Colour

#1 is the winner for me Scott, would love to see this scene with snow on the trees.

Heron

Mar 08, 2021 at 07:43 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Kananaskis River Alberta - 3rd Try - With Some Colour

Miko_Skye: Glad you like them. Thanks for the thoughts on shadow recovery and saturation. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

gdanmitchell: I am glad you like the light on one. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

shibutg: Glad you like the images. I think the zoom makes the mountain and colours show up better. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Mark Metternich: Glad you like the images. Thank you for the encouragement. Hopefully the 18 hours a day is fun. I and glad you are busy. Much appreciated. Scott

Mar 08, 2021 at 10:57 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Kananaskis River Alberta - 3rd Try - With Some Colour

OregonSun wrote:
#1 is the winner for me Scott, would love to see this scene with snow on the trees.

Heron

Glad you like 1. The great thing about photography is that each time I visit a spot its different. Maybe next time there will be snow. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Mar 08, 2021 at 10:59 PM
dwa652
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Kananaskis River Alberta - 3rd Try - With Some Colour

I like to see someone going back to the same spot until you are satisfied with the image. Years ago I went back and back to the same Texas wildflowers location and finally got what I wanted and ended up with a nice Texas Highways magazine cover.

I like them both for different reasons. The first is a very nice view of the area while the second feels more intimate and colorful. Both are winners!
Don

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:04 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password