New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2021 · Patience - Portraits of World Champion Madison Rowley

DanielScott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Patience - Portraits of World Champion Madison Rowley

I shared one of my photos of Madison here a couple of months ago, but Madison is someone that I have photographed many times over the last 6 years and I wanted to share some of our work from previous shoots as well. As you can see, he makes an incredibly interesting portrait subject and I love seeing the change in his beard length through the different shoot's we've done. As for the title of "World Champion", Madison is a two-time overall winner of the World Beard and Mustache Championships, for obvious reasons.

All of these were shot using the same original Canon 5D which has been my main shooter since 2011 and is still my only camera. I'm sure I'll be replacing it soon enough, but it has been such a reliable powerhouse of a camera for me, so why fix what isn't broken? I hope you enjoy the shots. Madison is one of my favorite people to work with and these are some of my favorite photos in my portfolio.

The first shoot was lit using a window. The lens used was a Canon 135mm f/2L (a lens that was fun to use but I eventually sold it after deciding that my 85mm f/1.8 lens got the exact same job done with so much more versatility and for a lot less money).

Our second shoot was also lit using all natural lighting. The reflective buildings allowed for some very interesting natural light scenarios that I was happy to take advantage of. I also used a Canon 135mm f/2L lens for this shoot.

Our third shoot was done in studio using all studio lighting. I had my Canon 85mm f/1.8 lens attached for this shoot.

Our most recent shoot was done using a mixture of natural and artificial lighting (window and a constant ring light with a gold filter).

This one from the same shoot was lit using all natural light through a large window. The weather conditions were overcast making for ideal soft lighting.

Feb 09, 2021 at 09:19 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Patience - Portraits of World Champion Madison Rowley

I love the uniqueness of your compositions Daniel!
This gentleman's beard is really excellent and his facial features and your exposures are dead on!!!
Well done Daniel!!
Dan

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:39 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Patience - Portraits of World Champion Madison Rowley

Danpbphoto wrote:
I love the uniqueness of your compositions Daniel!
This gentleman's beard is really excellent and his facial features and your exposures are dead on!!!
Well done Daniel!!
Dan

Thank you so much!

Feb 10, 2021 at 09:13 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Patience - Portraits of World Champion Madison Rowley

The first question that came to me, just like the title indicates, is how long did it take for him to get the beard to that length and then what struck me after that was how much maintenance that beard would require? Your images of Madison are truly great and very powerful, Daniel! You certainly know how to get the most out of him and to showcase his beard beautifully.

Joshua

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:31 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Patience - Portraits of World Champion Madison Rowley

AGeoJO wrote:
The first question that came to me, just like the title indicates, is how long did it take for him to get the beard to that length and then what struck me after that was how much maintenance that beard would require? Your images of Madison are truly great and very powerful, Daniel! You certainly know how to get the most out of him and to showcase his beard beautifully.

Joshua

In the first two photos he had been growing it out for two years. In the last set of photos he had been growing it out for six years, and not long after that shoot he cut it off and auctioned it for charity. I imagine it made eating and sleeping among many other things quite difficult. I once grew my beard out really long and it got to a point where I would wake myself up at night because I had rolled over the beard causing it to yank my face. I used to be quite enthusiastic about beards until getting to that point, and when I chopped mine off I decided I was done letting it get big like that again. Even a small beard is a lot of upkeep in my opinion.

Thank you so much!

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:42 PM
icedgreentea

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Patience - Portraits of World Champion Madison Rowley

great images daniel

Feb 15, 2021 at 11:22 PM
Panorascal
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Patience - Portraits of World Champion Madison Rowley

Really nice work.

Feb 17, 2021 at 08:40 PM
franz_yeg

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Patience - Portraits of World Champion Madison Rowley

wish i could rock that beard as well!

Feb 18, 2021 at 02:36 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Patience - Portraits of World Champion Madison Rowley

icedgreentea wrote:
great images daniel

Thank you so much.

Feb 18, 2021 at 05:27 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Patience - Portraits of World Champion Madison Rowley

Panorascal wrote:
Really nice work.

Thank you.

Feb 18, 2021 at 05:27 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Patience - Portraits of World Champion Madison Rowley

franz_yeg wrote:
wish i could rock that beard as well!

I used to enjoy having a large beard myself, but eventually came to realize it was more work to maintain than it was worth, to me at least.

This was mine at it's biggest, but clearly no comparison to Madison's world championship winning beard.

Feb 18, 2021 at 05:30 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Patience - Portraits of World Champion Madison Rowley

Really fine images, beautiful processing and, as you say, a visually compelling subject. So uppermost photography all around, Daniel.

John-

Feb 19, 2021 at 04:37 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Patience - Portraits of World Champion Madison Rowley

John Caldwell wrote:
Really fine images, beautiful processing and, as you say, a visually compelling subject. So uppermost photography all around, Daniel.

John-

Thank you so much John.

Feb 19, 2021 at 04:55 PM
amityeric

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Patience - Portraits of World Champion Madison Rowley

Those are incredible portraits. Thanks for sharing.

Feb 19, 2021 at 08:01 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.