1       2       3      
       5       end

Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

sjms wrote:
i am beginning to feel the new owners of GG are having some minor business control issues and their web tech.

first of all A. Biggs is not involved with the company as he sold his interest in the venture awhile back. he serves as a product spokes person only (Pro Team member) and I respect him

Mr Biggs has assured me that all should be resolved by the new owners shortly

Time will tell if the new Chobe is as good as the old. I'm hoping with will fit a 100-400, two medium bodies and a 13" ultralight notebook along with the usual small personal travel stuff as a second carry-on.

EBH

Dec 27, 2020 at 07:45 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

wordfool wrote:
I seem to recall the price was the main reason I opted against the Chobe years ago when picking a similar camera/laptop/business/travel bag. Instead I went for the Think Tank Urban Disguise 50 v2, which has proven to be an incredibly robust and versatile all round bag as well (especially the ability to attach external pouches on the v2 bags in the UD series). Sadly Think Tank discontinued the classic UD series. Perhaps the new Chobe will encourage TT to go back to the archives as well.

Had both. The Chobe worked best for me.

Dec 27, 2020 at 08:57 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

Andy - It looks like it is easier to get a response from you and Gura Gear here on FM than through the website.

I got a notice that the bags have been received at the LA warehouse and are ready to ship. What about those of us who live across the pond - do our shipments come from Europe or from LA?

May 25, 2021 at 04:24 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

you're not quite "across the pond". more like in the "middle" of it. nice place to be

May 25, 2021 at 04:34 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

Gura Gear went downhill fast after taking on Tamrac. I have 5 of the Gura Gear Bataflae backpacks in 3 different sizes and there is nothing comparable for traveling with photo gear.

May 26, 2021 at 06:48 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

elkhornsun wrote:
Gura Gear went downhill fast after taking on Tamrac. I have 5 of the Gura Gear Bataflae backpacks in 3 different sizes and there is nothing comparable for traveling with photo gear.

Gura Gear has separated from Tamrac and is back to being the original company, so far as I can tell.

May 26, 2021 at 07:26 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

Well, I get to see this Saturday if it is what is claimed to be and worth the wait.

update: delivery today Friday

May 27, 2021 at 01:58 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

it has arrived.
first impression: i have to say i'm glad i got a Retrospective 7 while waiting for this.

will go into detail later. need to sit and stare at this for a bit

May 28, 2021 at 03:42 PM
brad-man
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

What do you use the Chobe for? As another member said, it reminds me of my Think Tank Urban Disguise. While it is a great bag to carry gear in without attracting attention, it is not a particularly good shoulder bag for active shooting. I have a Retrospective 5 & 7 for that. YMMV.

May 28, 2021 at 05:51 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

The 2.0 should be compared to the original Chobe bag.

EBH

May 28, 2021 at 06:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

brad-man wrote:
What do you use the Chobe for? As another member said, it reminds me of my Think Tank Urban Disguise. While it is a great bag to carry gear in without attracting attention, it is not a particularly good shoulder bag for active shooting. I have a Retrospective 5 & 7 for that. YMMV.

Chobe together with Think Tank Airport International v3 have been my carry-on bags for international air travel. Locally I use Chobe to carry 2 DSLR bodies with lenses (24-70 and 100-400) attached while the Think Tank either stays in the hotel room or in the car. These bags suit my working style perfectly. If I need to hike, then I transfer the required gear into a small backpack. For the Phantom drone I have another dedicated hard case bag.

Clearly, the choice of bags is dependent on one’s operating manner in the field and gear preferences.

PS: Long ago I had the Urban Disguise. Very good bag, but I replaced it with the Chobe.

May 28, 2021 at 06:32 PM
brad-man
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Chobe together with Think Tank Airport International v3 have been my carry-on bags for international air travel. Locally I use Chobe to carry 2 DSLR bodies with lenses (24-70 and 100-400) attached while the Think Tank either stays in the hotel room or in the car. These bags suit my working style perfectly. If I need to hike, then I transfer the required gear into a small backpack. For the Phantom drone I have another dedicated hard case bag.

Clearly, the choice of bags is dependent on one’s operating manner in the field and gear preferences.

PS: Long ago I had
...Show more

For flying I have the scaled down version, the Airport Advantage Plus. I carry less gear than I used to. I try not to completely fill my Bataflae 32L with camera gear anymore. I need a Sherpa...

May 28, 2021 at 08:39 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

Clearly, the choice of bags is dependent on one’s operating manner in the field and gear preferences.*

*an absolutely true statement.

on the Chobe 2.0 13": unfortunately my operating manner does not adapt well to its design. thought it would. it has been sold. i gave it my best.

May 30, 2021 at 09:05 AM
wordfool
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

brad-man wrote:

Yes, I use my UD50 simply for transporting camera gear and/or computer from point A to B, usually perched on a wheeled roller suitcase. It's a hopeless bag to work out of -- more of a "briefcase with padded dividers" than a camera bag IMO. But it remains in my ever-growing collection because one can never have too many camera bags

Edited on Jun 01, 2021 at 04:27 PM · View previous versions

Jun 01, 2021 at 01:12 PM
brad-man
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

I agree except for the last part. I have too many bags as my closet will attest. It doesn't seem to stop me from wanting another, and another and another...

Jun 01, 2021 at 04:16 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

I have version 1 and also a Gura backpack. I am very pleased with their products. Very well designed. I am not a professional photographer and I do travel all over the world and when I get extra time, I like to go out and shoot. I have a regular suitcase that is carryon and I usually bring a laptop bag so I don't have to check luggage. I have traveled to other countries and used the Chobe v1.0. The problem I have is when I go to some office and need my laptop-- I need a separate laptop case. I have one that fits into the laptop pocket of the Chobe -- so that is solved.. but when I go out shooting I much prefer to have a backpack rather than a shoulder bag. Moreover my shoulder has had some issues between carrying bags and playing tennis.. I was thinking of packing a small backpack folded up in my carryon suitcase and taking the Chobe as mentioned vs taking a small backpack and trying to fit my laptop bag into my carryon suitcase. Have not found a perfect solution. I just try to avoid checking my bag at all costs. Never the less I am a huge fan of the Chobe 1. Trying to decide if v2.0 offers enough of an advantage

Jun 01, 2021 at 05:38 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

I am not the only one having issues with the non-existent customer service of Gura Gear.

Still haven't received my Chobe 2 and emails to them have gone unanswered. Attached is a sampling of the responses on Kickstarter.

Where's Andy Biggs?

Jun 29, 2021 at 05:26 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

well, at least i did receive my order when promised. what it turned out in usability for me was another thing.

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:43 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

Still no bag from Gura Gear. Last I heard was 12 days ago when they were waiting for the inserts they ran out of (how do you run out of items for your Kickstarter backers given that you have the precise numbers?). Before this debacle I used to have a good opinion of the Gura Gear crew.

Jul 24, 2021 at 10:45 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

this debacle started during the KS campaign. their website had pricing that was all over the place and at times undercut the campaign.

this is a whole other company with the same old name and a sorta updated design. note the silence from its previous #1. i hold no ill will to him though. all he can do is sit and watch.

Edited on Jul 24, 2021 at 11:27 AM · View previous versions

Jul 24, 2021 at 10:56 AM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password