New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2020 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

Great news. The best camera bag is being revived.

https://guragear.com/pages/everyday-brief

Nov 10, 2020 at 05:37 PM
Flowernut
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

best brief case style I ever had for flying. Holds computer, Ipad, body, 24-105, 100-400, and essential chargers, batteries, cables, glasses, etc. Glad to see it back. Hope they don't "improve" it too much. The 30L backpack for example was not near as good for me as the 32L it replaced (too shallow).

Nov 10, 2020 at 08:48 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

never ever saw one (v1.0) in real life.

Nov 10, 2020 at 11:12 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

It's a Kickstand deal. I'll believe it when BH and the Adormama sell the bag.
Does the 16' Chobe fit under the aircraft seat?

EBH

Nov 11, 2020 at 08:52 AM
Melancholia
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

It has been my everyday work bag for the past 5yrs or so, so I can attest to the durability of the fabric, zippers, and stitching. I love the arrangement of the pockets. When I fly, it becomes my personal item and in its collapsed mode, it fits under the seat. In it, I'd carry my 13" MBP, car GPS, various chargers/cables, sunglasses, extra layers, headphones, Omnicharge power bank. All my camera stuff goes in a backpack in the overhead bin.

I've tried looking for a replacement. Looked at Think Tank, Tom Bihn, and others, but nothing seemed to work for the workflow and size that I've become accustomed to. At $299 for the 16" though, seems more expensive than I recall, and that's without the camera insert. I might pick one up if there is an early price KS pricing.

Edited on Nov 11, 2020 at 05:12 PM · View previous versions

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:17 AM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

With my v1, I've not had problems getting it under a seat even if expanded. Actually always use it expanded. Overhead on a peanut jet can be a tight squeeze. Hard to tell about size as dimensions of expanded bag not give. Unexpanded appears to be similar. I've done two kickstarters for other products from a different manufacturer and I'm still waiting. As I said, it carries all my essentials for a photo trip. A thinktank international goes in the overhead or is varlet checked at plane door. The Chobe carries enough that even if the think tank is lost or damaged, I've got the camera and lenses with me that I use the most.

Nov 11, 2020 at 11:52 AM
Melancholia
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

Flowernut wrote:
With my v1, I've not had problems getting it under a seat even if expanded. Actually always use it expanded. Overhead on a peanut jet can be a tight squeeze. Hard to tell about size as dimensions of expanded bag not give. Unexpanded appears to be similar. I've done two kickstarters for other products from a different manufacturer and I'm still waiting. As I said, it carries all my essentials for a photo trip. A thinktank international goes in the overhead or is varlet checked at plane door. The Chobe carries enough that even if the think tank is lost
...Show more

Actually, for the 16" version, I think it will be about 0.75"-1" smaller in each dimension, unexpanded. The large insert is also smaller than the insert I currently have from v1. You can see photos of the large insert in the Gura Gear website and its internal width is about the width of a Fuji XT body, which is about 5.25" wide.

I use it expanded on a daily basis too. It's less tippy that way. As long as the zippers are open, I have easy access to most things. It's like a giant purse without a flappy lid. Love it.

Nov 11, 2020 at 01:52 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

don't know it makes much difference. The original according to B&H spec page
Normal: 15.0 x 11.5 x 6.0" / 38.1 x 29.2 x 15.0 cm
Expanded: 15.0 x 11.5 x 8.5" / 38.1 x 29.2 x 21.6 cm

version II External Dimensions: 15.7 x 6.5 x 10.6 inches (39 x 14 x 24 cm)
no dimesions given for expanded

Unzipped it is certainly less tippy. I also use the thinktank shoulder strap with it. That strap has a slot that I can put over the roll aboards handle. When tiped to roll it lifts bag off ground. When returned to verticle, bag is on the ground. Makes set up less tippy than using the slot in back of Chobe over handel of roll aboard.

Edited on Nov 12, 2020 at 10:05 AM · View previous versions

Nov 11, 2020 at 04:51 PM
aryaah

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

I've had version 1 since release and its durability has been exceptional. The bag has been utilized for photo equipment transport, with the insert, as well as general use luggage (in the expanded form.) Multiple useful and well thought-out compartments, very easy and comfortable to carry, and no difficulties with carry-on airline usage.
Great item and very pleased with overall construction and utilization of features.

Edited on Nov 12, 2020 at 12:46 PM · View previous versions

Nov 11, 2020 at 05:04 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

BH and Adorama had the original Chobe in their inventory. Furthermore, Andy Biggs and others behind this company are working photographers who are unlikely to risk their reputation peddling dubious projects. They also have a proven track record - the original Chobe was the best shoulder camera bag ever made.

As someone said above, there is very little room for improvement over what was a perfect 10 to begin with.

Nov 12, 2020 at 11:27 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

the original Chobe was the best shoulder camera bag ever made.

is that a quantifiable statement of fact or opinion?

Edited on Nov 12, 2020 at 01:10 PM · View previous versions

Nov 12, 2020 at 11:34 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

sjms wrote:
is that a quantifiable statement fact or opinion?

Yes.

Nov 12, 2020 at 12:42 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

please feel free to show which one.

it wasn't a yes no question it was an which one. and of course if you say "fact" a detail explanation demonstrating it. that will be interesting with infinite variables that are involved. mostly human in nature.

of course "opinion" will be accepted as just what it is.

just remember the history of Gura Gear and Tamarac.

you would think that their reference to their "Pro Team" they would get Andy Biggs name correctly

Nov 12, 2020 at 01:00 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
BH and Adorama had the original Chobe in their inventory. Furthermore, Andy Biggs and others behind this company are working photographers who are unlikely to risk their reputation peddling dubious projects. They also have a proven track record - the original Chobe was the best shoulder camera bag ever made.

As someone said above, there is very little room for improvement over what was a perfect 10 to begin with.

Oh, I'm thinking that the quality may be worse than the old one.

EBH

Nov 12, 2020 at 06:38 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

The problem with kickstarter is you don't know for sure what or when you will be getting it. I'm sure others are happy with the results. I've yet to receive any of the two items I ordered going on a year. One of the two, I would not order if I knew then what I know today. It became obsolete. I'm glad to see the bag back. I actually bought a backkup during the closeout of the version 1, since I thought so much of it.

Edited on Nov 14, 2020 at 05:58 PM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2020 at 09:41 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

sjms wrote:
please feel free to show which one.

it wasn't a yes no question it was an which one. and of course if you say "fact" a detail explanation demonstrating it. that will be interesting with infinite variables that are involved. mostly human in nature.

of course "opinion" will be accepted as just what it is.

just remember the history of Gura Gear and Tamarac.

you would think that their reference to their "Pro Team" they would get Andy Biggs name correctly

IIRC we used to see him sometimes in the Serengeti leading a group, but that was quite a long time ago.
I'm not sure what that has to do with manufacturing bags.

EBH

Nov 13, 2020 at 03:08 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

he is still part of the company he started and they can't get his name right?

Nov 13, 2020 at 04:34 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

Still use my V.1 for all my travel...best bag ever made...

Nov 14, 2020 at 09:22 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

define that.
i have a few bags that can be described as the best for their purpose.
is what you're saying this one bag does it all?
how does one define "the best bag ever made"?

or

is this just another commercial

Nov 14, 2020 at 10:03 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

sjms wrote:
define that.
i have a few bags that can be described as the best for their purpose.
is what you're saying this one bag does it all?
how does one define "the best bag ever made"?

or

is this just another commercial

Shoulder style messenger bag.
Pockets all in the right place to hold the right stuff.
Can expand to accommodate camera gear or just be used without camera gear. I stuck a Canon 200-400 in it to get another big lens on the plane when heading to Antarctica.
Material looks like it did 7 years ago the day I bought it despite travelling all over the world.

And yes GG paid me to say this.

Nov 15, 2020 at 06:00 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.