New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2020 · X-Pro3 Sub Monitor

M_Wales
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X-Pro3 Sub Monitor

My sub monitor is now either silver, half & half black and silver or just black most of the time.

Anyone owning an X-Pro3 have this issue or heard of it?

Thank you

Jul 23, 2020 at 08:18 PM
M_Wales
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X-Pro3 Sub Monitor

Here's what the screen looks like. Now and then it does come back to normal, but then changes back to one of the images below.

On or off It does it in either standard or classic mode.

Jul 24, 2020 at 06:36 AM
goodbokeh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · X-Pro3 Sub Monitor

M Wales
I've not seen anything like that on my two XP3s. Time to send it in for repair.
Doug

Jul 24, 2020 at 02:14 PM
Threaded

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · X-Pro3 Sub Monitor

Probably another design flaw, perhaps that ribbon cable isn’t up to the continual stress of the screen flipping up and down.

Jul 24, 2020 at 06:09 PM
M_Wales
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · X-Pro3 Sub Monitor

While I was talking with Fujifilm about the issue I was told that it could be the cable/connection inside the flip down screen.
It was mailed off yesterday and was told they turn around warranty work in 12 days or less.

Once I find out what the issue was I'll post it here...

I love the camera and really hope this is not something I'll be dealing with over and over.

Jul 25, 2020 at 03:52 PM
goodbokeh
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · X-Pro3 Sub Monitor

My money is on the ink display itself being defective. Let us know if Fuji gives you the repair details.

Jul 26, 2020 at 10:34 AM
M_Wales
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · X-Pro3 Sub Monitor

goodbokeh wrote:
My money is on the ink display itself being defective. Let us know if Fuji gives you the repair details.

Good point. Will do.

Jul 26, 2020 at 05:37 PM
Threaded

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · X-Pro3 Sub Monitor

The fact that it comes and goes suggests a connection issue to me. If the display had failed, it would likely stay failed. $1 (in Monopoly money) says it’s the cable.

Jul 27, 2020 at 11:55 AM
mfoto
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · X-Pro3 Sub Monitor

What a drag... best of luck with this.

Jul 27, 2020 at 01:21 PM
AndrewNYC
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · X-Pro3 Sub Monitor

I have found Fuji to be incredibly good and fair doing repairs. I hope you have the same experience.

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:49 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · X-Pro3 Sub Monitor

Is the regular screen behind it fine? I would have thought they would use the same connector.

Aug 01, 2020 at 03:08 PM
M_Wales
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · X-Pro3 Sub Monitor

I contacted Fujifilm today about my camera and was told they ended up replacing the entire flip down screen as they don't have parts to replace just the sub monitor. The camera has shipped and I'll have it around next Wednesday.

I asked if I could talk with a technician as I wanted to ask if this is a going to be an issue going forward, but they don't have phones at there stations and couldn't get them on the line.

Once it gets here if there is more info included with the camera I'll pass it on here.

Aug 07, 2020 at 04:48 PM
M_Wales
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · X-Pro3 Sub Monitor

The camera came back yesterday and all the documentation stated was that they replaced the LCD screen and updated the firmware.

Aug 12, 2020 at 07:26 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · X-Pro3 Sub Monitor

Cool. When it failed, did the main screen also fail?
Nice turnaround time. If it was Leica (my experience) you'll still be waiting by Christmas.

Aug 12, 2020 at 03:31 PM
goodbokeh
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · X-Pro3 Sub Monitor

From your report it appears my hunch was correct, it was the ink screen, not the connector ribbon. That is good news.

Aug 16, 2020 at 01:14 PM
Threaded

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · X-Pro3 Sub Monitor

goodbokeh wrote:
From your report it appears my hunch was correct, it was the ink screen, not the connector ribbon. That is good news.

From his report it’s clear that Fuji couldn’t/didn’t diagnose it down to the component level and simply replaced the entire module, which likely came with a new connector ribbon attached - so we simply can’t know what the problem was.

Aug 16, 2020 at 02:06 PM
M_Wales
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · X-Pro3 Sub Monitor

Desmolicious wrote:
Cool. When it failed, did the main screen also fail?
Nice turnaround time. If it was Leica (my experience) you'll still be waiting by Christmas.

No the main screen was fine. They said it was the sub monitor that failed, but they can't just replace that part and had to replace the flip down screen as a whole.

Aug 16, 2020 at 03:32 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · X-Pro3 Sub Monitor

Threaded wrote:
From his report it’s clear that Fuji couldn’t/didn’t diagnose it down to the component level and simply replaced the entire module, which likely came with a new connector ribbon attached - so we simply can’t know what the problem was.

It sounded more like they could diagnose down to the component level, but that the replacement unit stocked was the full display unit, so they swapped that out rather than replace the cable/subdisplay that had failed.

Aug 16, 2020 at 04:31 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · X-Pro3 Sub Monitor

In some cases it is probably more economical for them to replace the whole thing than to take it apart to do the smaller-scale repair. It can be a situation where the added labor for disassembly and reassembly can cost more than the differential between the parts. (Speculating...)

Aug 16, 2020 at 05:17 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · X-Pro3 Sub Monitor

gdanmitchell wrote:
In some cases it is probably more economical for them to replace the whole thing than to take it apart to do the smaller-scale repair. It can be a situation where the added labor for disassembly and reassembly can cost more than the differential between the parts. (Speculating...)

That's almost assuredly the case. They only have to stock a single SKU per finish to repair the most likely wear/breakage item, and it's likely a fairly quick swap which saves a lot in labour.

Aug 16, 2020 at 06:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.