Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2020 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

njfantastico
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

I realize that the 20 mp sensor from a 1DX3 is equal to a bigger sensor.

Do you think it will be better in low light compared to the 45 mp sensor found in the R5?

How much better should it be?

Do you think the difference in file size will be helpful when shooting a wedding vs the 45 mp file, 2.2X the file size?

What other advantages are there?

As a Wedding photographer, I am leaning towards keeping My R and adding the R6 for low light. What is everyone else's thoughts?

Jul 12, 2020 at 09:28 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

The R6 is indeed looking mighty good for low light event photography and anything else where speed takes priority over resolution. It's gotten overshadowed by the R5 lately, but I personally think its the more compelling camera given the respective price points.

Jul 14, 2020 at 10:45 AM
JohnnyArguedas
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

I had been thinking of switching to Canon from Nikon for a while, and the R6 is perfectly placed for me. 20MP is enough, and as long as I get f1.2 or 1.4 lenses with solid AF in dark receptions, decent noise at ISO 12,800, and good performance with the silent shutter, that's all I'll need.

Jul 14, 2020 at 10:47 AM
njfantastico
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

I remember that the R got a lot of negative press when it first came out, then everyone loved it. Cannot make everyone happy.

A mini 1dx3 is fine with me.

Jul 14, 2020 at 03:54 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

It looks insane, definitely a great camera that will bring canon some glory back after the slow release of a mediocre 5D4. I'm pretty well invested in Sony now and don't really see anything that I HAVE to have with the R series, although I am willing to bet I'll own one at some point. The glass looks insane, but insanely expensive. That 28-70F2 is a dream and if the 85 1.2 actually hits focus more than 1 in 5 shots unlike it's predecessor, it would be a home run. I'd like to own that one, but I am really loving the Zeiss Glass with the Sony stuff right now, its some of the nicest gear I have ever owned and used.

Real curious to see the reviews on it all though!

Jul 17, 2020 at 10:33 AM
hvu2012
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

I'm selling R to get R6. For now it would be perfect pair with my 5D III.

Jul 18, 2020 at 09:45 PM
JRobertson
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

deepbluejh wrote:
The R6 is indeed looking mighty good for low light event photography and anything else where speed takes priority over resolution. It's gotten overshadowed by the R5 lately, but I personally think its the more compelling camera given the respective price points.

I absolutely agree! The R5 is garnering the vast majority of attention, but it's a videographer's camera first and NOT a photographer's camera first. The tech that the R6 contains, equal to the R5, is amazing. I'm trying VERY hard to wait for full, unbiased reviews, before deciding...I'm slowly failing. I can feel it!

Jul 20, 2020 at 06:11 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

JohnnyArguedas wrote:
I had been thinking of switching to Canon from Nikon for a while, and the R6 is perfectly placed for me. 20MP is enough, and as long as I get f1.2 or 1.4 lenses with solid AF in dark receptions, decent noise at ISO 12,800, and good performance with the silent shutter, that's all I'll need.

what is the 12800 iso for?

Jul 21, 2020 at 07:02 PM
JohnnyArguedas
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

Ziffl3 wrote:
what is the 12800 iso for?

Options. I am extremely comfortable with off-camera lighting, but at times I really enjoy shooting certain parts of a wedding without a flash. It depends on the vibe of the wedding, the lighting, the dj setup, the couple, etc. It's just another creative tool I would enjoy taking advantage of at the weddings I shoot.

Jul 22, 2020 at 09:35 AM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

R5/R6 (aside from costing $7000 and all 2020 weddings postponed) just became the perfect 2-camera wedding set up. Keep the EOS R for backup.

Jul 22, 2020 at 12:53 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

I would be surprised if any wedding photographer came (or left) Canon for either the R5 or R6. Both appear to be competitive but aren't revolutionary (brand-switchers) on the photography side.

That said, we do have an R6 on order and are cautiously optimistic. The specs are too good for an existing Canon shooter. 20mp? I have a few 6-foot canvases on the wall that were shot on a 7DII (also 20mp) so I know you do a lot with that resolution.

I do love the RF50 1.2 and that new 85 macro is right out of a dream book. Hope it's sharp.

Jul 22, 2020 at 02:16 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

hvu2012 wrote:
I'm selling R to get R6. For now it would be perfect pair with my 5D III.

why not sell the 5d III ? I am picking up R over my 5D III almost every time.

Jul 22, 2020 at 02:45 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

LeeSimms wrote:
I would be surprised if any wedding photographer came (or left) Canon for either the R5 or R6. Both appear to be competitive but aren't revolutionary (brand-switchers) on the photography side.

That said, we do have an R6 on order and are cautiously optimistic. The specs are too good for an existing Canon shooter. 20mp? I have a few 6-foot canvases on the wall that were shot on a 7DII (also 20mp) so I know you do a lot with that resolution.

I do love the RF50 1.2 and that new 85 macro is right out of a dream book. Hope
...Show more

just what would be revolutionary at this point in time?

not sure i would agree with you.....
sony for video... to a point.
only small size factor.

I don't see any video ... or still images with the heading.... only on a sony or only possible with a nikon.

these are all just tools to get the job done.
or to let the creative juices flow....

Jul 22, 2020 at 05:58 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

I'm confused. I'm saying the R5 and R6 aren't revolutionary for photography (not worth switching brands for). And you ... agree?

Jul 22, 2020 at 06:17 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

without picking up an R5 or R6 ... yes... worthy to switch.
especially for the shooting experience.
canon colors..... right out of the camera.
and canon glass.... 28-70f2 anyone?

R5/R6 revolutionary..... no. more like canon finally got their proverbial s*** together and did not cripple camera bodies.
These are bodies with all the bells and whistles. allows a great deal of latitude for a creative user.

and since i live from iso800 to 3200... the entire dynamic range thing it not a thing.
yes.. i shoot some weddings at iso 100. i know the advantage to the sony sensor there.
good stuff.
but that is about it for me.

I don't care for the codec on sony. blackmagic PCC 6K. that is a kicking camera.... but no real AF to speak of. but the codec is sweet.

just my 2 cents.

will sell off the 5div's. maybe get rid of the eos R for a R5/R6 combo.
maybe keep the EOS R for a backup.
for me... i want to see the responsiveness.
I actually think 30meg sensor is perfect for a wedding shooter.

Jul 22, 2020 at 11:56 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

JRobertson wrote:
I absolutely agree! The R5 is garnering the vast majority of attention, but it's a videographer's camera first and NOT a photographer's camera first. The tech that the R6 contains, equal to the R5, is amazing. I'm trying VERY hard to wait for full, unbiased reviews, before deciding...I'm slowly failing. I can feel it!

no... don't agree.

what you are seeing is canon finally getting their act together and providing a strong video side to go along with a strong stills side.

so add bells and whistles, basically what canon shooters have been asking for.... into a mirrorless package....
and look..... surprise - surprise......

bodies with 120 FPS and NOT at 720P ... amazing....
no crop factor ...... amazing

canon will find out it will not cripple their cinema line.... nope. you have shooters get used to the canon style and if they move up.... they will look to big brother canon stuff.... or the red stuff.

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:03 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

PetaPixel posed some full res images from the R5 & R6.

There's an R6 / 85 Macro photo of a dog in front of cherry trees in bloom. This image quality would satisfy 99.99% of current clients.

Jul 23, 2020 at 11:46 AM
njfantastico
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

LeeSimms wrote:
PetaPixel posed some full res images from the R5 & R6.

There's an R6 / 85 Macro photo of a dog in front of cherry trees in bloom. This image quality would satisfy 99.99% of current clients.

LINK? Don't just tease US!!

Jul 23, 2020 at 06:55 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

https://petapixel.com/2020/07/22/full-res-sample-photos-from-the-eos-r5-eos-r6-and-all-the-new-lenses/

Jul 24, 2020 at 10:31 AM
MAC
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon R6 seems to be geared towards a Wedding Photographer?

LeeSimms wrote:
https://petapixel.com/2020/07/22/full-res-sample-photos-from-the-eos-r5-eos-r6-and-all-the-new-lenses/

I pre-ordered the RF 85 F2 IS - three months wait

the dual slot R6 / R5 combo looks really good to roll with

Aug 01, 2020 at 04:22 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.