New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2020 · Postcards from Bhutan

bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Postcards from Bhutan

Congratulations to bobbytan for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 6 votes - View Previous Winners

I visited the Kingdom of Bhutan once a long time ago … in 2005. Always wanted to return but never had the opportunity.

Bhutan is situated in the Eastern Himalayan mountains at the 8,000 feet level. The 17th Century Tiger’s Nest Monastery sits on a sheer rock cliff at 10,000 feet - see image #8. Building of that monastery started in 1692. A visit to Tiger’s Nest is a must if you can take the 2-mile hike each way. You can catch a pony up to the cafeteria at the halfway point (where this shot was taken) but you will have to walk down from there. The hike from that point to the monastery is 1 mile. It is steep and difficult … but well worth it if you can do it!

Bhutan is a monarchy. It's a poor Buddhist country but it’s the least corrupt country in the region as of 2016, according to Wikipedia. It is also the least developed country, so visiting Bhutan is like stepping back in time. Bhutan is notable for pioneering the concept of Gross National Happiness. In spite of the poverty, people there lead simple lives and they are mostly happy. I did not see a single pan-handler when I was there. Here in America (the wealthiest country in the world) you will find them at many traffic stops, and tons of homeless people live on the streets and sleep in makeshift cardboard tents. Go figure.

Set 1:

Edited on May 23, 2020 at 12:26 PM · View previous versions

May 23, 2020 at 10:30 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Postcards from Bhutan

Set 2:

May 23, 2020 at 10:33 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Postcards from Bhutan

Set 3:

Edited on May 23, 2020 at 10:45 AM · View previous versions

May 23, 2020 at 10:35 AM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Postcards from Bhutan

A fine set, Booby. Looks like a beautiful country with beautiful people. There's an important story with the last but I'm not sure what it is

May 23, 2020 at 10:44 AM
camerapapi
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Postcards from Bhutan

Excellent, colorful portraits. I think you captured the soul of that place and its people.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

May 23, 2020 at 10:59 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Postcards from Bhutan

Ha Ha! Thanks Vic!

psharvic wrote:
A fine set, Booby. Looks like a beautiful country with beautiful people. There's an important story with the last but I'm not sure what it is

May 23, 2020 at 12:20 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Postcards from Bhutan

Thank you, William!

camerapapi wrote:
Excellent, colorful portraits. I think you captured the soul of that place and its people.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

May 23, 2020 at 12:20 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Postcards from Bhutan

An overload of excellent images , Bobby! Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy them but so many images in a single post.... YGMV!

Joshua

May 23, 2020 at 01:25 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Postcards from Bhutan

Thank you, Joshua! I am used to seeing twice as many images in 1 post at the Nature & Wildlife Forum. But your point is well taken.

AGeoJO wrote:
An overload of excellent images , Bobby! Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy them but so many images in a single post.... YGMV!

Joshua

May 23, 2020 at 02:01 PM
craigsexton
• •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Postcards from Bhutan

Great shots that you are sharing with us. The photos bring out the culture in Bhutan. The people there look so happy and positive. Photo #8 is my favorite

May 23, 2020 at 04:13 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Postcards from Bhutan

Thank you, Craig! She was dressed in a traditional costume of the country and she hiked with us all the way to the Tiger’s Nest Monastery dressed like that - on foot! Didn’t even want to ride the pony for the first mile hike - I guess it would be awkward riding a pony in a sarong-type dress. She was quite the trooper. We were huffing and puffing all the way to the top. She took it like a walk in the park and looked fresh as a daisy when we got there! We were embarrassed to say the least! Then again we were two 50-year-old farts!

craigsexton wrote:
Great shots that you are sharing with us. The photos bring out the culture in Bhutan. The people there look so happy and positive. Photo #8 is my favorite

May 23, 2020 at 05:26 PM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Postcards from Bhutan

The people are beautiful, the women especially! A dentist could stay pretty busy. Gorgeous colors.

May 23, 2020 at 05:59 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Postcards from Bhutan

Or not! Thanks!

GoodEgg wrote:
The people are beautiful, the women especially! A dentist could stay pretty busy. Gorgeous colors.

May 23, 2020 at 07:01 PM
dallvr
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Postcards from Bhutan

Great set of photos. With respect to #19 and #24, I seem to recall from a long ago trip to Bhutan that the phallic symbols are good luck and they adorn many houses.

May 23, 2020 at 10:51 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Postcards from Bhutan

Thanks Shirley! It was very weird and amusing to us at the same time. Of course, the locals are used to this. They are mostly painting on walls in the rural areas. Some info here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2017/08/24/world/asia/bhutan-phallus-commercialization-tourism.amp.htm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theculturetrip.com/asia/bhutan/articles/how-and-why-bhutan-came-to-worship-the-phallus/%3famp=1

dallvr wrote:
Great set of photos. With respect to #19 and #24, I seem to recall from a long ago trip to Bhutan that the phallic symbols are good luck and they adorn many houses.

May 23, 2020 at 11:11 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Postcards from Bhutan

These are very, very nice, Bobby!

May 23, 2020 at 11:17 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Postcards from Bhutan

Thank you, Fred!

Fred Amico wrote:
These are very, very nice, Bobby!

May 24, 2020 at 12:40 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Postcards from Bhutan

An excellent series Bobby! You really have exposures nailed!!!!! So colorful..no competition within each composition for focus! Yeah the last one is indeed a VERY unique mural!!!!
Great job!
Dan

May 24, 2020 at 09:11 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Postcards from Bhutan

Thanks Dan!

Danpbphoto wrote:
An excellent series Bobby! You really have exposures nailed!!!!! So colorful..no competition within each composition for focus! Yeah the last one is indeed a VERY unique mural!!!!
Great job!
Dan

May 24, 2020 at 10:32 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Postcards from Bhutan

Bobby,
Awesome set! Bhutan is just magical. canceling my workshops here for 2020 was probably the saddest thing.

May 25, 2020 at 01:46 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.