New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2020 · Book cover

airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Book cover

Congratulations to airfrogusmc for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 6 votes - View Previous Winners

Here's an oldie. Tom was the chef at a very high end restaurant in a hotel that was also a client a few years back.

The photograph

The book cover

Apr 02, 2020 at 08:04 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Book cover

Well done Allen!!!!! Beautifully exposed!! Great mag cover!!!
Semper Fi Marine!!
Dan

Apr 02, 2020 at 09:53 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Book cover

Thanks Dan.

Apr 02, 2020 at 09:57 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Book cover

I know it is the same image but somehow the book cover seems to have more impact... Well-done!

Joshua

Apr 02, 2020 at 03:26 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Book cover

Thanks Joshua.

The book cover is jsut a slightly different crop of the same image. The actual transparency has a little more room vertically than both the cover and the photo.

Apr 02, 2020 at 04:15 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Book cover

Nice, Allen!!! Congrats! Hang in there for these next few weeks.

Apr 02, 2020 at 04:45 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Book cover

Hey Ron,

Thanks and yeah it's been interesting. I shot my last job on March 11 and I don't know when i will work again. We do have some money put away for a slow down having survived and learned from 9/11 and the last recession but how do you account for a complete shutdown. We should be OK for a while anyway. Staying healthy and not infecting others is the most import thing.

What about you? You hanging in there?

Stay safe brother,
Allen

Apr 02, 2020 at 05:12 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Book cover

It works very well for the book cover. So many times these images have to be seen in the context of the graphic design that goes with them and you left all the right room in the right places. I'm a little curious why the whites of his coat are all over the map color wise, hat too. Is it from the scan or does the original film look that way too?

Here in LaLa Land, I shot my first and last job of the year at the end of January. I don't expect to work again this year, and that's fine by me. We're hunkering down and only making necessary trips. Gives me time to learn new things - Apollo Twin recording interface now so my gf can do remote sessions. I'm finding that I don't actually hate my own singing and guitar playing. Cool.

Apr 02, 2020 at 05:38 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Book cover

Hey Peter. The art director was on the session and we had a mock up sketch.
It's the scan. Also there is a lot more detail in the coat and hat.
Hang in there and stay safe.

Apr 02, 2020 at 06:24 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Book cover

We were personally locked down way before the entire state was. Seemed like the prudent thing to do.

Apr 02, 2020 at 06:33 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Book cover

Yeah I agree Peter.

Apr 03, 2020 at 05:30 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Book cover

airfrogusmc wrote:
Hey Ron,

Thanks and yeah it's been interesting. I shot my last job on March 11 and I don't know when i will work again. We do have some money put away for a slow down having survived and learned from 9/11 and the last recession but how do you account for a complete shutdown. We should be OK for a while anyway. Staying healthy and not infecting others is the most import thing.

What about you? You hanging in there?

Stay safe brother,
Allen

I have a pretty huge studio with a hefty rent, and my landlord has been gracious enough to let me not pay the April rent, and hopefully that will be the case for May as well. It's been tough. I had to lay off my editor. just no telling how long this will take.

It's been fun having a lot more time spending time with the family tho. Be safe!

Ron

Apr 03, 2020 at 06:43 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Book cover

Ron - We're planning on at least a year. I have to keep paying rent and mortgage and both car payments. You do what you need to to survive in these extra-ordinary times. The rules have changed, but one month grace on the rent is going to seem pretty quaint come Christmas. Unless there's some sort of miracle regarding a vaccine, it's going to be at least a year and that the people in charge have not even started planning for vaccine production yet, so we're going to be behind the ball on that as well. Worst clusterfuck in recorded history. Thankfully your governor and Newsom here are ahead of the curve but Chicago is only weeks behind NYC.

Apr 03, 2020 at 07:47 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Book cover

Hang in there Ron, Peter and everyone. Thnaks for looking in and commenting.

I think we are going to be in this for a while. I hope I am wrong and I hope the experts are erroring on the side of caution. But I do think here in the Chicago area we are still a couple weeks out of the peak.

Apr 04, 2020 at 12:59 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Book cover

The numbers and the nature of exponential growth and the complete idiocy at the top mean that no matter what, it's going to take longer. The danger, aside from the virus itself is one of complacency if the virus eases up in the summer and comes back stronger in the fall. And this motherfucker who told us all to wear masks be he won't because - get this - how would it look to visiting heads of state. Who the fuck is going to be visiting in the middle of a global pandemic. Unfuckingbelievable.

Apr 04, 2020 at 03:58 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Book cover

Yeah I agree. At least our Governor has some sense. Our leaders should have been out in front of this months ago.

Apr 04, 2020 at 07:53 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Book cover

Peter Figen wrote:
The numbers and the nature of exponential growth and the complete idiocy at the top mean that no matter what, it's going to take longer. The danger, aside from the virus itself is one of complacency if the virus eases up in the summer and comes back stronger in the fall. And this motherfucker who told us all to wear masks be he won't because - get this - how would it look to visiting heads of state. Who the fuck is going to be visiting in the middle of a global pandemic. Unfuckingbelievable.

Peter,
Here's a mask I think most would agree on

Apr 07, 2020 at 11:24 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Book cover

That'd help. New reporting yesterday suggests that he and his friends have a stake in the French pharmaceutical company that makes Plaqenuil, the Lupus drug unproven so far to be of any benefit. Of course he is because he's got to grift somewhere now that all the hotels and golf courses are closed down.

Apr 07, 2020 at 01:50 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.