1       2       3              7              9       end

Archive 2019 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

Ripolini
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

Sauseschritt wrote:
Because ...

Which AF lenses have you used on Z cameras?

Nov 10, 2022 at 10:24 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

Rodenstock HR-Digaron-S 35/4, APO-Grandagon-N 55/4.5, APO-Sironar-Digital 90/5.6

Nov 10, 2022 at 08:05 PM
photonoclast
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

Top two: criterion = gave me most of my all time favorite images

1. Mamiya7 43-mm (easy winner for me)
2. Mamiya7 80-mm

#3 = highest quality images in FF (on Sony):

3. Voigtlander 65-mm apo-lanthar

Nov 10, 2022 at 09:43 PM
Matt Kerby
• • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

These are my most used lately, for sure 1 and 2 are my all time 1 and 2. Not sure if the new 24-70 GM II or the 100-400 GM is #3...But, I use the 100-400 more, so...or wait, maybe the SL Summmilux 50?

1. Leica Summilux 35mm f/1.4 v2
2. Leica Summilux 35mm f/1.4 ASPH FLE
3. Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS

Nov 10, 2022 at 10:35 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

From our format, mine are:

Contax 21/2.8
This legend turns 30 next year, and its images have APO level colour and huge impact with endless microcontrast. It was Zeiss's iconic wide angle.

Voigtlander 35/50mm f2 APO-Lanthars
Together because they are close to being the same lens in adjacent focal lengths. Close to being the best ever lenses of their FLs wide open, they suit a wide range of creative and documentary photography. That plus very sound all round performance and super colour.

Contax 100-300mm
Difficult to use but it produces dreamy images that appear totally unique, no mean feat in a long zoom from 20 years ago.

Nov 11, 2022 at 01:32 AM
Sauseschritt
• • • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

Ripolini wrote:
Which AF lenses have you used on Z cameras?

Why would I need a Z camera to test manual focus on AF lenses ?!?

Nov 11, 2022 at 08:47 AM
Ripolini
• • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

Sauseschritt wrote:
Why would I need a Z camera to test manual focus on AF lenses ?!?

Because precise MF with Z cameras (and MILCs) is waaay easier than with DSRL.
Anyway, I was/am aware that MF with my Zeiss 100/2 Makro-Planar is more comfortable than with my AF ED 200/4 Micro-Nikkor. This does not impede me to use the 200 macro for close-ups.

Nov 11, 2022 at 11:29 AM
Sauseschritt
• • • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

Ripolini wrote:
Because precise MF with Z cameras (and MILCs) is waaay easier than with DSRL.

But they dont somehow magically fix a short manual focus throw, which is the problem.

Besides I manually focus on DSLRs all the time.

Nov 22, 2022 at 10:15 AM
wolfloid
• • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

Zeiss Distagon 35/1.4 - I'm about to own this lens for the third time. This time I will shoot it on Leica. Leica Elmarit 28/2.8 II - I love the rendering of this lens as much as any. I don't currently own it but keep considering getting it again. Sony 600/4 GM - A great wildlife lens that makes capturing birds and animals easily. The results are simply great. Honorable mentions Voigtlander Ultron 28/2 Type II - I only recently got this lens and still getting used to it but it produces wonderfully rendered images Voigtlander 50/2 APO Lanthar - I...Show more

Did you come to any final conclusions between the CV 28/2 II, and the Leica elmarit 28/2.8 II?

Nov 28, 2022 at 07:24 AM
sarkleshark

p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

Which contax 21mm 2.8?
thanks

Nov 28, 2022 at 11:37 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

wolfloid wrote:
Did you come to any final conclusions between the CV 28/2 II, and the Leica elmarit 28/2.8 II?

Well, the CV28/2 II is excellent with rich colors, great sharpness and microcontrast. Its pricepoint, especially vs the Leica elmarit, make it a no brainer.

LEICA M11    Voigtlander Ultron 28mm f/2.0 Aspherical Type II lens    28mm    f/11.0    1/125s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  

LEICA M11    Voigtlander Ultron 28mm f/2.0 Aspherical Type II lens    28mm    f/2.0    1/1000s    64 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M11    Voigtlander Ultron 28mm f/2.0 Aspherical Type II lens    28mm    f/2.0    1/3200s    64 ISO    -0.3 EV  

LEICA M11    Voigtlander Ultron 28mm f/2.0 Aspherical Type II lens    28mm    f/3.4    1/160s    2500 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Nov 28, 2022 at 09:24 PM
wolfloid
• • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

Thanks.

Nov 29, 2022 at 06:50 AM
CCoppola82
• •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

Oh man what a tough thing to do. Here goes

1. Leica 50mm lux pre asph. No idea why but I love the rendering and focus falloff with this lens
2. Leica 35mm lux FLE. Workhorse lens on my leicas
3. Canon 35mm 1.4L v1. My first pro lens that showed me what good glass can do

Dec 01, 2022 at 01:38 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

It's the Contax-Yashica (CY) mount Distagon 21/2.8, a 15/13 design, with a lot of APD glass but no asph as CZ did not think much of asph surfacing for some time.

Dec 01, 2022 at 02:20 AM
insideline
• •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

"top 3 lenses of all time" measured how?
Optical clarity and shear performance, no contest:
1. Modern Nikon Z 58mm .95 Noct. This lens possesses the finest optics in any lens I have ever owned or shot with, and I have owned virtually every significant Leica, Hasselblad and Nikon lens made plus many of the more special Contax, no experience with Canon. Not enough photographers have had a chance to try this modern .95 Noct lens which is a real shame as it is simply an astounding achievement. Only downside is its significant weight.
*Honorable mention to Hasselblad 250 CFi Superachromat, Hasselblad 100 CFi 3.5 Planar, then the more modern Hasselblad XCD 80 1.9

Next, 'Single' most enjoyable lens to shoot with in a small package:
2. Leica 35 1.4 1961 Steel Rim given the unique and different glass contained in this first series pre-aspherical which allows a measurable amount more light in vs the later 35 1.4 variants, and optically it provides photographs that I find far more interesting and memorable than the modern 35 APO. Plus it may be the finest made Leica lens to date as it is simply a jewel and is far more robust than any modern Leica lens, then add in the .65 min focus distance and it is a very useful and optically a truly wonderful lens.

Last, most artistic rendering and magical lens:
3. P. Angeneiux S21 55mm f1.5 Cine lens ideally in M mount. There is a wonderful renewed interest and appreciation for the vintage lenses and Leica in particular, given how they provide a more artistic rendering to photographs, now take that vein and multiply it many many times and maybe you can come close to the magic the P. Angeneiux S21 55mm f1.5 lens renders with a truly mythical out of focus rendering combined with a color palette from 1950's France. Unfortunately these are not as affordable as they once were. Picture attached.

P. Angeneiux S21 55mm f1.5 Cine lens

Dec 01, 2022 at 04:42 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

I answered this thread two years ago, but I have some different answers now.

1. Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L. This lens just wows me every time I take a look at images from it. Brilliantly sharp. Gorgeous bokeh, and just an absolutely beautiful rendering that makes subjects pop like nothing else. What an absolute joy of a lens.

2. Sigma 135mm f/1.8 - Probably the most optically perfect lens I've owned. I don't use it as much as I'd like to, but holy crud is it good.

3. I'll keep the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 I had on there earlier. Nowhere near as optically good as the other two on this list, but, something special in the way it draws, and the beautiful construction and feel just adds to it.

Dec 01, 2022 at 08:24 PM
Ripolini
• • • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

1. Cosina Voigtlander 50/2 Apo Lanthar (should I explain why? );

2. Zeiss ZF.2 135/2 Apo Sonnar (high resolution across the frame combined with good out-of-focus rendition and very very few chromatic aberrations);

3a. will come soon ...

3b. Micro-Nikkor AF-S ED 105/2.8G VR [not the best macro lens, not the best portrait lens, not the best landscape lens, however it works well in most scenarios; AF and VR are very helpful. When I bought the Zeiss 100/2 Makro Planar (a lens I consider optically better), I sold my Nikkor AI-S 105/1.8 but kept the 105 VR: it's a lens that does well many things, without excelling in one specific field, but always guaranteeing more than adequate results for professional use too. So no surprise that this 105 is often in my bag, even when I don't plan on doing close-ups].

philip_pj wrote:
It's the Contax-Yashica (CY) mount Distagon 21/2.8, a 15/13 design, with a lot of APD glass but no asph as CZ did not think much of asph surfacing for some time.

Have you compared it to the Cosina-Zeiss ZF.2/ZE 21/2.8? Just curious. Thanx

Dec 02, 2022 at 07:20 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

'Have you compared it to the Cosina-Zeiss ZF.2/ZE 21/2.8?'

Not personal in hand. We had threads here when CZ did their first remake of the CY lens in 2009. I always had a soft spot for the CY lenses, it was CZ in full force back then before the long term weight gain that started afterwards (same basic lens was 530g (CY) - 600g (ZF2) - 735g (Milvus).

The later ones got an extra element to make up for the loss of very expensive (probably uneconomic) glass and they are better wide open. The look is different in the ZEFs, more contrasty, little less appealing colour. Zeiss said the CY lens was apochromatic by f4, take what you will from that. I also see fabulous clean whites, a hallmark of my other APOs. cheers.

Dec 02, 2022 at 05:10 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

philip_pj wrote:
'Have you compared it to the Cosina-Zeiss ZF.2/ZE 21/2.8?'

Not personal in hand. We had threads here when CZ did their first remake of the CY lens in 2009. I always had a soft spot for the CY lenses, it was CZ in full force back then before the long term weight gain that started afterwards (same basic lens was 530g (CY) - 600g (ZF2) - 735g (Milvus).

The later ones got an extra element to make up for the loss of very expensive (probably uneconomic) glass and they are better wide open. The look is different in the ZEFs, more
...Show more

When Zeiss started to produce the ZE/ZF lenses, they could no longer use glass types which were environmentally unfriendly in the production process. Hence, they had to tweak the designs. The Distagon 21/2.8 ZE/ZF has more lateral chromatic aberration than the Contax version, but coatings have improved.

The Contax version became very popular in the early days of (full-frame) digital photography, when (Canon) users fell victim of pixel peeping and discovered that their wide-angle offerings had some issues. The Distagon 21/2.8 was way ahead of the competition at that time.

In the Contax days, my top 3 consisted of the Distagon 21/2.8, the Planar 50/1.4, and the Planar 100/2. I sold the 100/2 after buying the Makro-Planar 100/2 ZE. As much as I liked the former, the latter was simply better - and it did not require an adapter.

The Contax 21/2.8 is still at number 1. It has been with me for 23 years and never disappointed. It has seen less use the past year, after I went mirrorless with the RF mount, but that is partly because the adapter that I bought is a failure. I don't know about today's #2 and #3. I depends on my mood.

Dec 02, 2022 at 07:43 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · Your Top 3 Lenses of All Time

Good to know, thanks. My 21mm was a literal handful in my travels, but now in post-world it comes back into its own, in-country. I always wanted the big Planar 100/2, but its weight took me to the 'always taken' 100/3.5. Their hundreds are great, almost without exception. The 100MP is legendary.

I'd like a 600g version of the Sonnar 100/1.4, should Cosina take advice to produce a higher priced range, say $2000, Milvus level. For the really good heritage lenses, they retain value so well and MF is becoming more marginal by the year. Every few years, I check out CY 21/2.8 prices at the usual suspects. That's quite a surprise. When the ZEF 21/2.8 came out, remember people said the 'obsolete' lens would be worth far less.

Dec 03, 2022 at 12:24 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.