New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Godox AF Beam - How do you enable on XProS and TT685

Peterk78
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Godox AF Beam - How do you enable on XProS and TT685

I can not seem to figure out how to get the AF beam on the XProS or TT685 to fire when attached to my a7iii. I've seen it done with the XProS on several youtube videos, but doesn't work when I try it.

Any menu function I'm not aware of that will enable it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

May 25, 2019 at 05:04 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Godox AF Beam - How do you enable on XProS and TT685

The AF beam on the speedlite is designed for DSLR AF sensors, so even if you could get it to work, it wouldn't aid in autofocus.

This is true for all mirrorless cameras regardless of the brand.

May 25, 2019 at 05:22 PM
Peterk78
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Godox AF Beam - How do you enable on XProS and TT685

Thanks! Appreciate your response. I saw a convoluded youtube video that hinted at that, but it wasn't clear, and offered no explanation other than the mirrorless cams don't have a mirror.

May 25, 2019 at 06:38 PM
exdeejjjaaaa
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Godox AF Beam - How do you enable on XProS and TT685

sungphoto wrote:
The AF beam on the speedlite is designed for DSLR AF sensors, so even if you could get it to work, it wouldn't aid in autofocus.

This is true for all mirrorless cameras regardless of the brand.

that is NOT true of course - for example see the flash manual : http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_Camera_Flash_V860IIF.html

this flash is for Fuji dSLMs (not dSLRs)

May 26, 2019 at 08:37 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Godox AF Beam - How do you enable on XProS and TT685

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:
that is NOT true of course - for example see the flash manual : http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_Camera_Flash_V860IIF.html

this flash is for Fuji dSLMs (not dSLRs)

Nope, tested it myself on my Fujis. Have you? This is part of why Fuji X ambassadors like Kevin Mullins uses a handheld LED for reception photos.

May 26, 2019 at 09:16 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Godox AF Beam - How do you enable on XProS and TT685

Peterk78 wrote:
Thanks! Appreciate your response. I saw a convoluded youtube video that hinted at that, but it wasn't clear, and offered no explanation other than the mirrorless cams don't have a mirror.

No prob - basically it's because the AF grid beam on speedlites is specifically designed to project light that the dedicated AF sensor on a DSLR is sensitive to.

Mirrorless cameras generally (aside from SLT sony cameras) are not designed with this in mind, and instead need the overall exposure value of the subject to be raised and still needs some sort of contrast on the subject, which is why a camera has a hard to focusing on a completely blank wall without assistance.

In my opinion, it's a huge gap for professional photographers that do a lot of events and location work.

May 26, 2019 at 09:28 AM
Peterk78
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Godox AF Beam - How do you enable on XProS and TT685

Thanks very much for the explanation. It does seem to be a huge gap. I used to shoot some events, including a few wedding, but got out of that line last year. Sold off all my Canon gear, and a lot of lighting gear, and moved to Sony.

Then a very good old friend says to me "but you're the only one I ever wanted to shoot my daughter's wedding".

So now I have a wedding to shoot June 15, and wanted the AF assist just in case. I was testing yesterday and the a7ii will catch focus in very low light; I was amazed. I could still catch focus in a dark room when the evf showed black with ambient light view enabled. Great video on that here when you have a flash trigger or light in the shoe:

Of course I realized later in the evening that I was testing with fast lenses. I'll have to try again tonight with the 24-105 which is usually my workhorse for events. With the f4 lens, I wonder if I'll get the same results. If not, I guess I'll have to shoot with the primes during the evening events (depends on the house lights). The 16-35 GM should probably work fine in low light too. So that with a couple of fast primes (55, 85), and maybe the 70-200 GM I'm renting - but that's heavy to carrry around ;-)

One question: Would the 24-105 open up to f4 to focus when set at smaller apertures? Anyway, the proof is in the pudding: I'll test tonight.

Thanks again! Any suggestions appreciated. I still have time to rent additional equip, but I think I'm covered.

May 26, 2019 at 09:58 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Godox AF Beam - How do you enable on XProS and TT685

Peterk78 wrote:
Thanks very much for the explanation. It does seem to be a huge gap. I used to shoot some events, including a few wedding, but got out of that line last year. Sold off all my Canon gear, and a lot of lighting gear, and moved to Sony.

Then a very good old friend says to me "but you're the only one I ever wanted to shoot my daughter's wedding".

So now I have a wedding to shoot June 15, and wanted the AF assist just in case. I was testing yesterday and the a7ii will catch focus in very low light;
...Show more

Good person to ask would be @holger and @gmphotography as they both shoot events and I believe have experience with that lens.

May 26, 2019 at 10:31 AM
exdeejjjaaaa
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Godox AF Beam - How do you enable on XProS and TT685

sungphoto wrote:
Nope, tested it myself on my Fujis. Have you? This is part of why Fuji X ambassadors like Kevin Mullins uses a handheld LED for reception photos.

I have Fuji X-H1 & Godox strobes - hence I have X-1TF transmitter (which presents itself to camera like a flash)

here is the video of AF illuminator working when mounted on X-H1 camera

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gdEkG4coLQbCrg7Q7

May 26, 2019 at 11:28 AM
exdeejjjaaaa
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Godox AF Beam - How do you enable on XProS and TT685

or better clip of AF illuminator of X1T-F working on X-H1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2FVMD5pHdbwCHzEs5

:-)

May 26, 2019 at 11:35 AM
exdeejjjaaaa
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Godox AF Beam - How do you enable on XProS and TT685

guide = https://youtu.be/3DSUvZHyKfA

one more clip that I just did in a good light to show that you even did not need a darkness for AF illuminator to fire on Fuji X-H1 = https://photos.app.goo.gl/yfykMEHPZ1seALX5A

enjoy

May 26, 2019 at 11:47 AM
exdeejjjaaaa
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Godox AF Beam - How do you enable on XProS and TT685

asked my neighbor to loan me a Godox speedlite (good to have a fellow owner across the backyard) = here is f$$$$king V860II F showing its AF-illuminator working = https://photos.app.goo.gl/gskQRiuexjo2h6X48

So to all posters saying otherwise - go and fix your hands ( aka "ruki.sys") before posting something

May 26, 2019 at 11:56 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Godox AF Beam - How do you enable on XProS and TT685

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:
asked my neighbor to loan me a Godox speedlite (good to have a fellow owner across the backyard) = here is f$$$$king V860II F showing its AF-illuminator working = https://photos.app.goo.gl/gskQRiuexjo2h6X48

So to all posters saying otherwise - go and fix your hands ( aka "ruki.sys") before posting something

It won't aid in autofocusing, which is clearly what I said in my original posts.

There's a big difference between using it in your bedroom versus using it on a job.

May 26, 2019 at 12:04 PM
exdeejjjaaaa
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Godox AF Beam - How do you enable on XProS and TT685

dude, it can assist in focusing... is it as useful as for dSLR ? no but it does work as AF assist during focusing... I just did a simple test = took a flat black surface ... closed AF illuminator... X-H1 can't focus... opened AF illuminator, visible pattern projected, X-H1 was able to focus... which shows that (A) AF assist pattern is projecting when dSLM AF systems works to focus and (B) the same dSLR like pattern - red cross type - is detectable by dSLMs AF system... period... so as noted - fix your hands

May 26, 2019 at 12:24 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Godox AF Beam - How do you enable on XProS and TT685

Cool, you tested in once. The vid you posted appears to be against a well lit room with a high contrast subject, so likely the AF assist beam is likely not doing anything to help attain lock. All you show in the first vid is the af beam and doesn't as far as I can tell show that it's locking on, which doesn't support your statement.

Now try testing it for several years and hundreds of thousands of shots on people and other subjects, in rooms of varying darkness, at varying distances, with a variety of lenses included slower zooms and primes, on Fuji (I've tried it with the XT2, X100F/T/S, XE3, X100T), Sony and Nikon mirrorless bodies like I have and get back to me on how sure you are about your conclusion. FYI people move more than walls, so waiting the requisite multiple seconds to get af lock may be an issue.

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:
dude, it can assist in focusing... is it as useful as for dSLR ? no but it does work as AF assist during focusing... I just did a simple test = took a flat black surface ... closed AF illuminator... X-H1 can't focus... opened AF illuminator, visible pattern projected, X-H1 was able to focus... which shows that (A) AF assist pattern is projecting when dSLM AF systems works to focus and (B) the same dSLR like pattern - red cross type - is detectable by dSLMs AF system... period... so as noted - fix your hands

May 26, 2019 at 12:31 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.