Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2018 · Bear Seranade

tmiller9
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bear Seranade

Congratulations to tmiller9 for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 12 votes - View Previous Winners

These photos come with a story (sorry).....

Made my first visit to Glacier NP this past September. And, having no preconceived notions on what to expect - was more than willing to follow the lead of others. On this particular evening - the decision was made to head up to Hidden Lake. Again, not knowing what to expect, I packed it all - two bodies, lenses and 2 tripods. All in all - roughly 30 lbs in the pack. We met at the Logan's pass center and headed up the trail.

The trail to Hidden Lake is a constructed one - lots of smooth surfaces - no issues - just a bunch of uphill walking. With the heavy pack on my back - I was more interested (and focused) on just getting to the spot. While others were engaged in normal photographer banter - I put my head down and started the hike. I soon found myself alone - well ahead of the others. No worries - I was confident I was heading in the right direction - after all it was a constructed trail. After about a mile and a half - made it to an overlook. What a beautiful sight! The lake was magnificent - and I could see where we were going. I decided to wait a bit and take in the sight. Didn't wait long - the light was starting to look promising - and I could clearly see where we were going - so I continued on. The constructed path soon gave way to a more traditional rock and dirt path. As the trail transitioned - so did the bear warning signs. Lots of signs letting me know it was bear country. No worries - I had my bear mace - and the others were not far behind - so on I went. The trail down to the lake was steep - with a few switchbacks. And, after about a mile of downhill - made my way through a forest of trees before reaching the lakes edge. First to arrive - I figured I would set up my shots while waiting for the others. Cameras set up - still no one had arrived. Fired off a few shots - still no one. Light was getting good - still no one. Light was REALLY good - still no one. Light was starting to fade - still no one. Realized no one was joining me - and it was starting to get a bit dark. Remembering the bear warning signs - and being alone - I thought it would be a good idea to pack up and hit the trail. Not looking forward to the uphill climb - or the walk through a bear-friendly forest - I got started. Now I'm no bear expert - but I did remember that you should make noise so you do not surprise the bears. I'm also not a singer. Couldn't carry a tune to save my life - but that was all I could think of. Not wanting to surprise the bears - and wanting to get out of there before it got too dark - I sang - and climbed. Stuff like "Hey Bear" and "Please don't eat me" were the popular tunes. Out of breath and drenched from the climb - I made it back to the overlook - in complete darkness. Still no one. Headlamp on - and bear mace still in hand - continued to make my way back. Singing.

Needless to say, I did make it back to the parking lot - where I did run into a few of the others. Curious, I had to ask - where the hell were you guys? The answer - everyone stopped at the overlook - which is where most everyone stops. I was told - no one ever goes down to the lake.....

These are the two images I ended up with.

On a side note.... my new album will be available this Christmas season. May not be much to listen to - but apparently it does keep the bears away.

Thanks for putting up with the story - CC are always welcome.

Todd

Dec 03, 2018 at 08:47 AM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bear Seranade

I absolutely love that first image, Todd, and your back story was great. Will check out your new album on Amazon.

Dec 03, 2018 at 11:52 AM
frdjohns
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bear Seranade

That 1st image alone makes your adventure well worth it. Excellent.

Dec 03, 2018 at 12:09 PM
DSC01
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bear Seranade

Todd,
Great story and really beautiful images ! The light in the first image is pretty sweet.
Regards,
Dean

Dec 03, 2018 at 03:50 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bear Seranade

The second image is so unique that it is my favorite, but the first sure does "pop" because of the unusual light.

Dec 03, 2018 at 07:23 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bear Seranade

That first one just kills. Love it. And you also have a great story to tell. Bonus.

Dec 03, 2018 at 07:34 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bear Seranade

Wonderful Todd! I attempted this in September, I thought I had prepared myself well enough through walks around our reservoirs, but with 25 lbs of gear, never made it even to the overlook. Had we gone back again to Logan Pass, I would have known better how to pace myself. Looks like the smoke from the fires on the west side helped add some drama to these. Well done!
Douglas

Dec 03, 2018 at 07:46 PM
mwalrod
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bear Seranade

Nice images....like them both, but the first jumps out at me a bit more.

Dec 04, 2018 at 02:41 PM
dclark
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bear Seranade

Both are excellent but the light in the first makes it standout. If no one goes down to the lake they are missing some good shots. BTW, glad you did not get eaten by a bear.

Dave

Dec 04, 2018 at 11:39 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bear Seranade

Hi Todd! These are magnificent! I am so glad you went on and went to the bottom! Otherwise, you would not have such unique images!

Actually, we spread out all over the place but not down to the bottom. I showed the group about 5-10 different shooting positions I was aware of, and then they just cut loose and found their own compositions. You were the only loose cannon! You are such a great photographer (I mean it) I am really glad it worked out the way it did.

Again, I am really impressed with the originality here! #1 is phenomenal! Maybe time to make a Lumachrome HD enlargement out of it?

Dec 05, 2018 at 09:22 AM
tmiller9
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bear Seranade

douter wrote:
Wonderful Todd! I attempted this in September, I thought I had prepared myself well enough through walks around our reservoirs, but with 25 lbs of gear, never made it even to the overlook. Had we gone back again to Logan Pass, I would have known better how to pace myself. Looks like the smoke from the fires on the west side helped add some drama to these. Well done!
Douglas

Douglas - thanks very much! Honestly didn't see much effect from the fires - on the east side of the park. So much to see - and shoot. going back again next year.
Todd
---------------------------------------------

dclark wrote:
Both are excellent but the light in the first makes it standout. If no one goes down to the lake they are missing some good shots. BTW, glad you did not get eaten by a bear.

Dave

- me too!

---------------------------------------------

Mark Metternich wrote:
Hi Todd! These are magnificent! I am so glad you went on and went to the bottom! Otherwise, you would not have such unique images!

Actually, we spread out all over the place but not down to the bottom. I showed the group about 5-10 different shooting positions I was aware of, and then they just cut loose and found their own compositions. You were the only loose cannon! You are such a great photographer (I mean it) I am really glad it worked out the way it did.

Again, I am really impressed with the originality here! #1
...Show more

Mark;

Can't tell you how much I appreciate your kind words. Thanks so much!

Dec 05, 2018 at 11:51 AM
dallvr
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bear Seranade

Both are beautiful shots, and the story was gripping. Glad you didn't encounter a bear!

Dec 05, 2018 at 01:15 PM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Bear Seranade

Great images, Todd! The first is killer. I can't sing either and wear bells on my shoes when venturing in the dark through bear country. Who knows if it works but I haven't been eaten yet...

Dec 05, 2018 at 02:42 PM
Lobohowler
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Bear Seranade

Thanks for sharing. I think both images are spectacular, but the light in the first one is sublime. Also, thanks for the story - there is nothing like some danger in the wilderness to make you feel alive.

Dec 05, 2018 at 03:54 PM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Bear Seranade

Todd, these are really great captures! Loved them both but #1 stands out! Loved reading your story 👍

Dec 06, 2018 at 08:06 AM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Bear Seranade

. I love the story and I want that album man. Actually, you can make a fortune selling this to hikers that don't want to sing their own songs, just your tunes via iPhone/Android phones. Are phone speakers loud enough?
Anyway, good shots. I love the sky Todd. Did you use your Sigma 12-24 on these? Looks like those shots are long exposures so I just wonder what type of filter attachment did you get

Dec 06, 2018 at 12:27 PM
Jred
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Bear Seranade

Great story, great pics.

Dec 06, 2018 at 08:25 PM
tmiller9
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Bear Seranade

Gregg B. wrote:
. I love the story and I want that album man. Actually, you can make a fortune selling this to hikers that don't want to sing their own songs, just your tunes via iPhone/Android phones. Are phone speakers loud enough?
Anyway, good shots. I love the sky Todd. Did you use your Sigma 12-24 on these? Looks like those shots are long exposures so I just wonder what type of filter attachment did you get

Gregg - I had two cameras set up - The first image was with the Sigma 14-24 & Nisi ND filters. If I remember correctly - about 20 second exposure (primarily to smooth out the water). The second image was with the 16-35 & Lee filter set-up (& 10 stop ND) for a 2 minute exposure to get the streaking clouds. Good idea to set up my songs for download. Need to make some money to offset all the $$ I spend on gear!

Dec 07, 2018 at 07:23 AM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Bear Seranade

first image is great. Nice work.

Dec 09, 2018 at 09:04 AM
juststeve
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Bear Seranade

Excellent photograph and great story.

Best work on your singing, though. Grizzlies are known music critics. Too many flat notes and you may be invited to dinner.

Dec 10, 2018 at 10:40 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password