Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       6       7       end
  

Archive 2018 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

  
 
sandycrane
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?


I think its good to note that the SmallRig L Bracket and the Half Cage with L Bracket are two different things. The L Bracket has had a history of dimensional problems with the Arca-Swiss clamp, and the Half Cage with the cage detached has a really irregular and bumpy profile in the front. My preference would be the simple L Bracket if the dimensional problem has been corrected.



Jan 29, 2019 at 08:33 AM
Langran
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?


I own one of the Smallrig ones and love it. Nice minor grip extension too for those with slightly larger hands but still wishing to keep the camera 'small'. It's a bit of a niche product but I'll be buying a second one for my other body as soon as I'm back from this trip


Jan 30, 2019 at 05:54 PM
Dustin Gent
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?


i bought a sunwayfoto plate, and needed the screw on the bottom, since i lost mine. I emailed them about getting a .02 screw, and they denied me. Customer service like that goes a long way. I since have sold my knock off leofoto head (same company).

I bought a plate for my A7R2 (soon to be sold) from Amazon, and it has markings of "LB-A7M2" on it. Works pretty good, but not perfect. Paid $20. Buy once, cry once right?



Jan 31, 2019 at 11:51 PM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?


Okay update here just got the Smallrig from China and on my RRS Pano head that's on the BH 40. Pictured here it works both horizontal and vertical. So I have no issues with it as reported earlier. Maybe there standard lever lock but not on the panning head









Feb 04, 2019 at 10:55 AM
akclimber
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?


I rec'd my Small Rig L plate on Friday. Very nice. Love the "extended grip", easy access to battery, slide out side plate for easy access to side ports, seemingly bombproof magnet holder for the hex wrench, and it works just fine with my arca swiss clamps. It's replacing a simpler L plate. For me, it was a worthwhile purchase.


Feb 04, 2019 at 12:04 PM
Scoobert
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?


Got bored this morning and put some gun tape on my small rig.

I really like that with the smallrig vs the sony style that the camera can sit flat.



















Feb 09, 2019 at 11:22 AM
Dustin Gent
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?


I just bought this last night, and should arrive next week. They have a 30 day return policy if it is junk.








Feb 28, 2019 at 08:41 PM
nhsonyshooter
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?


Shout out to Fred. Recommended Markins which I had never heard of. They were out of stock for awhile but I finally got my L bracket. It is so much smaller or maybe thinner is a better way to describe it. Had a Kirk and RRS Plate and this is exactly what I was looking for. Less is more Thanks Fred!

https://www.markins.us/plates



Feb 28, 2019 at 09:38 PM
molson
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?


I ordered the Gabale L-bracket for the A7RIII based on the many positive recommendations on this thread. It arrived yesterday, and is being returned today - it is nicely made, but it does not fit the RRS lever release clamps very well.

EDIT: It turns out that the issue seems to be a quality control problem with the RRS lever clamps, and not a fault with the Gabale L-bracket.


Edited on Mar 21, 2019 at 04:06 PM · View previous versions



Mar 18, 2019 at 08:14 AM
1bwana1
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?


molson wrote:
I ordered the Gabale L-bracket for the A7RIII based on the many positive recommendations on this thread. It arrived yesterday, and is being returned today - it is nicely made, but it does NOT fit the RRS lever release clamps I have on both of my ball heads.



I have the same Gabale L bracket. I use all RRS lever clamps on my tripods and monopods and have the same issue as you do. ,The bracket doesn't fit perfectly because the tab on the bottom of the bracket conflicts with the RRS screw, which is just barely not flush.

If you offset the calema just a few millimeters to the right when you slide it in to avoid this conflict it fits fine.

The other two choices are :

File down the RRS screw so it fits perfectly flush.

Remove the tab from the L bracket.

I don't use this tab mount for anything so that will be my choice eventually. For now I just offset, no issues.




Mar 18, 2019 at 08:54 AM
Beni
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?


Do any other L plates extend to allow tethering cables like the RRS?


Mar 18, 2019 at 09:04 AM
molson
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?


1bwana1 wrote:
I have the same Gabale L bracket. I use all RRS lever clamps on my tripods and monopods and have the same issue as you do. ,The bracket doesn't fit perfectly because the tab on the bottom of the bracket conflicts with the RRS screw, which is just barely not flush.

If you offset the calema just a few millimeters to the right when you slide it in to avoid this conflict it fits fine.

The other two choices are :

File down the RRS screw so it fits perfectly flush.

Remove the tab from the L bracket.

I don't use this tab
...Show more

It has nothing to do with any screws or tabs.

It does not fit because the dovetail portion of the L-bracket base is simply too wide to allow the lever clamp to close. One of the clamps I can get closed if I apply a great deal of force but it feels like it might be causing damage; the other clamp won't close at all.



Mar 18, 2019 at 09:23 AM
1bwana1
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?


What I found on mine was that because the screw on the RRS clamp was not flush it pushed the plate up. That makes L-bracket base seem like it doesn't fit and clamp will not close exactly as you describe.

Try offsetting the L-bracket in the clamp and see if it closes.

To confirm that this was the issue on mine, I just ground down the screw so that it fit flush. The L bracket now works perfectly.

The L-bracket is perfectly flat in machining, so this really looks like a RRS issue to me.



Mar 18, 2019 at 10:02 AM
Dustin Gent
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?


So I got that bracket I posted a photo of on this page, and it doesn't fit my Acratech GP head in vertical position that well. So i bought one for $30 on amazon, and it fits much better. Has an extending side as well. Battery door needs to be placed on the plate to be able to change with bracket on, but I don't like that, so I just left it be.

The plate works great so far. The one i got is called Fotomix. has all 5 star reviews. Here is a link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FD318PR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1



Mar 18, 2019 at 07:58 PM
offtraildog
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?


Dustin - thanks for the link. just ordered .. I'll post how I like it. Out of stock until March 26


Mar 18, 2019 at 08:25 PM
stevesanacore
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?


Dustin Gent wrote:
i bought a sunwayfoto plate, and needed the screw on the bottom, since i lost mine. I emailed them about getting a .02 screw, and they denied me. Customer service like that goes a long way. I since have sold my knock off leofoto head (same company).

I bought a plate for my A7R2 (soon to be sold) from Amazon, and it has markings of "LB-A7M2" on it. Works pretty good, but not perfect. Paid $20. Buy once, cry once right?


And I've had excellent service from Sunwayfoto multiple times. I hope nothing has changed over there.



Mar 18, 2019 at 08:36 PM
Dustin Gent
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?


offtraildog wrote:
Dustin - thanks for the link. just ordered .. I'll post how I like it. Out of stock until March 26


no problem. The wait is worth it! Here are some photos of the plate

















Mar 18, 2019 at 08:37 PM
Dustin Gent
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?


Dustin Gent wrote:
i bought a sunwayfoto plate, and needed the screw on the bottom, since i lost mine. I emailed them about getting a .02 screw, and they denied me. Customer service like that goes a long way. I since have sold my knock off leofoto head (same company).

I bought a plate for my A7R2 (soon to be sold) from Amazon, and it has markings of "LB-A7M2" on it. Works pretty good, but not perfect. Paid $20. Buy once, cry once right?

stevesanacore wrote:
And I've had excellent service from Sunwayfoto multiple times. I hope nothing has changed over there.


Yeah sunwayfoto US pretty much told me to kick rocks. Same distributor as Leophoto, Desmond, etc out of Happy Valley Oregon. Hopefully I got a person on their last day or something, but for a company that is basically a knock off, that wasn't their best look.




Mar 18, 2019 at 08:41 PM
stevesanacore
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?


Dustin Gent wrote:
Yeah sunwayfoto US pretty much told me to kick rocks. Same distributor as Leophoto, Desmond, etc out of Happy Valley Oregon. Hopefully I got a person on their last day or something, but for a company that is basically a knock off, that wasn't their best look.



OK, I worked directly with the company in China. Always quick polite responses and fast turnaround on a repair. Didn't know they even had a distributor here in the US. You may want to contact them directly but of course for one little screw, it may be hard to justify shipping costs.




Mar 18, 2019 at 08:45 PM
Dustin Gent
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?


I already took care of it, and sold my Leofoto head and sunwayfoto plate - but good to know about who you contacted.


Mar 18, 2019 at 08:55 PM
1       2       3       4      
5
       6       7       end




FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       6       7       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password