p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Coal Mine Strike

Mark,
This is fantastic, awesome.

Aug 30, 2018 at 01:51 PM
microsnook
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Coal Mine Strike

Man that first image is incredible! Wow.....

Aug 30, 2018 at 02:51 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Coal Mine Strike

Excuse my ignorance! “Coal Mine Strike” is that the name of the location?

Aug 30, 2018 at 04:59 PM
Mr.Gale
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Coal Mine Strike

WOW! I wish I had been standing next to you when you took this. Great image!

Mr.Gale

Aug 30, 2018 at 08:59 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Coal Mine Strike

I'm usually a lurker (and N&V refugee) but had to chime in on this one, since I was one of the lucky five people in image #2 of this thread. Great opportunity, great workshop, and, oh yeah, great image!

Thanks, Mark!

Greg

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:27 AM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Coal Mine Strike

That is some truly stunning light, over a beautiful, unique scene. I particularly like the subtlety of the angular line in the clouds in the upper right and the angular line in the shadow in the lower left. Not a "shouting at you" compositional element, as Ben Horne would put it, and I love that.

And, here's to putting thousands of miles on a car within a short time of buying it. My first-ever brand-new car was/is a Subaru Forester, and within the first few months I racked up nearly 20K miles on it, all over the Southwest... Good times...

Aug 31, 2018 at 03:30 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Coal Mine Strike

Its not just the image which is great, but all the behind the scene's intel you include that makes it even more enjoyable.

Couple of questions, where you able to get the Honda running again. I have two myself

How the heck do you get the smallest house window ac unit to fit in a car window, that and a large screen to edit, I think its time to consider a 4X4 sprinter, at least you'll have a little more elbow room

Congrats on your new ride, but dont drive it like you stole it

Aug 31, 2018 at 04:39 PM
dclark
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Coal Mine Strike

What a beautiful image! Spectacular! It seems that everyone but me knows where this was shot. Any hints?

Dave

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:46 PM
xterra07
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Coal Mine Strike

dclark wrote:
What a beautiful image! Spectacular! It seems that everyone but me knows where this was shot. Any hints?

Dave

That is the million dollar question. Landscapes like that are only in Arizona and Utah. Mark took people there, I have too. Those who know are sworn to secrecy 😀.

Sep 01, 2018 at 11:37 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Coal Mine Strike

This is absolutely stunning!
A well deserved thread winner...
bruce

Sep 02, 2018 at 07:30 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Coal Mine Strike

WOW, this surprises me!!! Thank you, everyone! A gracious thank you! I have been in the SW backcountry for the last week and did not see this!

Plinian wrote:
I'm usually a lurker (and N&V refugee) but had to chime in on this one, since I was one of the lucky five people in image #2 of this thread. Great opportunity, great workshop, and, oh yeah, great image!

Thanks, Mark!

Greg

It was a massive pleasure and sincere privilege to hang out with you Greg! I can not believe how many awesome photographers like yourself that lurk here for years! It was a massive privilege to be of help to you! It is so funny because someone said: "aren't you going to take a shot?" then I was like "oh, ok." Then I noticed I did not even bring my camera! I am so thankful my lovely wife (and assistant) ran to get it and I got to take a few next to you all.

I also remember being under pressure because someone on this trip wanted to go to the other location we shot, but too early. I knew this spot was peaking in its light and contrast, so I am glad I decided to have us hold our positions here until the light climaxed in its drama before going to the other spot. I think this might have been taken right about then.

I hope to see your awesome shots here at FM soon!

nugeny wrote:
Excuse my ignorance! “Coal Mine Strike” is that the name of the location?

When it comes to special locations not yet overrun by photographers, since I do this for a full living and have a large following on social media, in the spirit of conservation, it has always been my policy to not disclose lessor common locations. I also know sometimes people get mad at me for not sharing some of these spots, but I am also old school in the sense that I think researching is 1/2 of the adventure and joy. What I will say is that a person can find out a TON by savvy Google searches! I apologize for my policy if it runs against your own ethics. If it is a place I know tons of people go to already, then I do not mind sharing.

Sep 06, 2018 at 12:27 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Coal Mine Strike

IndyFab wrote:
Its not just the image which is great, but all the behind the scene's intel you include that makes it even more enjoyable.

Couple of questions, where you able to get the Honda running again. I have two myself

How the heck do you get the smallest house window ac unit to fit in a car window, that and a large screen to edit, I think its time to consider a 4X4 sprinter, at least you'll have a little more elbow room

Congrats on your new ride, but dont drive it like you stole it

Thank you IndyFab. I'll do my best to keep it up after my season is over and I'm back home.

I have not had any time to try the generator yet. To give you an idea, I bought my new 4Runner about a month ago and I'm at about 10,000 miles already! Back to back workshops have had me drive from Florida, to New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho and now to Glacier National Park in Montana. Not at a leisurely pace either! But as soon as I get a moment to spre, I will try it out. I suspect it will work. I'll post something here about it if it does...

The small AC unit fits very nicely. No problem.

My 4Runner is the best possible solution for my photography lifestyle. I want light, mobile and minimalistic that can get anywhere. I could afford just about anything, and this is the best. Bed in the back, small table for processing, can 4Wheel anywhere (even through narrow areas and sharp turns...). So I am extremely happy.

All the best to you. Thank you for the encouragement!

Mark

Sep 14, 2018 at 05:21 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Coal Mine Strike

Thank you, everyone, for your contributions and taking precious time to comment here!

Mr.Gale wrote:
WOW! I wish I had been standing next to you when you took this. Great image!

Mr.Gale

Come join us in 2019! Actually, I might be booked up already (or close) for the SW, but we are contemplating another workshop. 2019 is going to be an amazing year. We are taking people to some very special places other photographer/guides can't or won't take people. I am so excited! Each year (over the last 15) I have been finding new places that almost no one goes. And a few that no one does! Yet EPIC! This is what really gets me excited.

erielake wrote:
that is a real beauty Mark.....you sent five people home with once in a lifetime memories as well

Nothing makes me happier! I know at least a few were blown away by the scene!

steve g wrote:
Wonderful shot.
Incredible lighting and lightning (!) over an amazing landscape, that appears almost alien.

The picture keeps grabbing me back to see more within.

I'm simply in awe.

Thank you! I found this spot studying google earth over 10 years ago and had seen very few shots from it. Then exploring with a private workshop client one Aug, we stumbled on this spot. I have tried to go here once or twice a year ever since. Does seem alien and epic to me. I am surprised it is not one of those viewpoints that have a parking lot.

nugeny wrote:
Mark,
This is fantastic, awesome.

Huge thank you for taking the precious time to comment. Always an encouragement!

OwlsEyes wrote:
This is absolutely stunning!
A well-deserved thread winner...
bruce

Thank you very much!

xterra07 wrote:
That is the million dollar question. Landscapes like that are only in Arizona and Utah. Mark took people there, I have too. Those who know are sworn to secrecy 😀.

When it is a popular iconic location I always share. But when it is a little more original, because of conservation concerns my policy has always been not sharing. But, at least for me, research to find special places is a great part of the adventure and savy Google searches can sure go a long way!

matthewsaville wrote:
That is some truly stunning light, over a beautiful, unique scene. I particularly like the subtlety of the angular line in the clouds in the upper right and the angular line in the shadow in the lower left. Not a "shouting at you" compositional element, as Ben Horne would put it, and I love that.

And, here's to putting thousands of miles on a car within a short time of buying it. My first-ever brand-new car was/is a Subaru Forester, and within the first few months I racked up nearly 20K miles on it, all over the Southwest... Good times...

Thank you Matt. Yes, I think showing restraint in an era of EXTREME Photoshopping (at least on Instagram) is something that appeals to me more and more.

Wow, you must be like me. In the last 3 months traveling to lead workshops in Florida, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Montana, Oregon and Washington and then driving back through the beautiful heartland of the US, I racked up 17,000 miles in 3 months! That averages to 188 miles a day, every day for 90 days. . I used to do a lot more than that, but newly married with stepsons, I am balancing my life away from the 300+ days a year on the road, to maybe 100. I am enjoying the balance of adventure and family, something I never had before.

Success in your journey.

Brad Williams wrote:
Another great photo Mark, nice work! Looks like you are having another great year in the Southwest!

Thank you Brad.

It seems to get more amazing every year. Especially with finding new and exciting original locations to take people. I feel so blessed to have lived out there as long as I did.

Ipanematom wrote:
Mark--stunning image! Congrats! Where was the this photo taken, please? And thanks in advance for your upcoming reply.

Thank you very much. Please see above comments for my policy on sharing locations.

Frogfish wrote:
That's an awesome shot Mark - yeah I know just a platitude but what else is there to say ?

Thank you Frogfish!

adittam wrote:
Voted. I keep coming back to this one, Mark. Gorgeous light. Amazeballs image.

Thank you. Actually, I have to thank my wife for saying "aren't you going to take a shot, honey?" The she ran to get me my camera. Usually, I am engrossed in helping others get the shot.

mabidally wrote:
Nice shot and well processed too.

Huge thank you!

guidostow wrote:
Awesome, awesome, awesome image! So beautiful!

Huge thank you as always! All the best!

Matt Anderson wrote:
Voted, a real stunner !!

We need to go shoot sometime man! Thank you!

Dec 09, 2018 at 12:21 PM
Roshisan

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Coal Mine Strike

Awesome image!

Dec 09, 2018 at 03:39 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Coal Mine Strike

very nice indeed Mark

Dec 10, 2018 at 03:02 AM
ibuz4u

p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Coal Mine Strike

Outstanding

Dec 10, 2018 at 07:46 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Coal Mine Strike

Magnificent clarity, color and detail
Wonderful image Mark
Scott

Dec 10, 2018 at 07:52 AM
1       2              end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.