Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2018 · Coal Mine Strike

Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Coal Mine Strike

Congratulations to Mark Metternich for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 9 votes - View Previous Winners

What an awesome photographic season in the Southwest so far! Even though the monsoons have been significantly down in volume compared to the last 10 years, the smoke from the very unfortunate California fires and the unfortunate Northrim fire has had a major enhancing effect on many sunrises and sunsets.

Below the photo (in the first post) is a crazy story about the generator image...

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer so far! Great light to you!

Mark

Edited on Aug 20, 2018 at 07:06 PM · View previous versions

Aug 20, 2018 at 11:33 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Coal Mine Strike

Details for the more inquisitive:

Generator story:

Over the years I have developed a bit of a reputation for taking people to some more original locations and sometimes where no one goes. Last year after driving across the US from Florida I had thought someone had stolen my Honda generator at an RV park in Texas (it runs my portable window AC, laptop and a large monitor in the VERY hot midday when I have downtime between tours to work on images). It is such a critical piece of equipment, I ended up buying another one in Page Arizona (for $1200 or something). So, this year, as I am 4 wheeling into some very difficult and very remote locations to make sure the terrain has not changed too much (every year is different) and to make sure I can still get my vehicle into the locations, I came over a hill and boom! There is my generator! Exactly 1 year later (almost to the day)! . I now know, it fell off my vehicle last year, and not even a single person in a year had come by and picked it up! I was totally amazed! I thought the area was special and not frequented by people, but not that remote! I'm going to put oil and gas in it soon and see if it works! Now I might have a backup!

The 4Runner:

Well, my wife talked me into breaking down and getting a brand new Toyota 4Runner. As a minimalist, I have never had a brand new vehicle in my life! But with dependability/liability being so critical taking people to remote 4 wheeling locations, I easily saw her point. Wow, what an awesome vehicle! I feel so spoiled. With the 3 inch lift, the Toyo MT's and such... it gets me wherever I want to go now with ease. I just bought it the other week with no miles, and it is approaching 5000 already!

The Image:

After intensive weather research, it looked like the area might produce some nice light with a heavy thunderstorm going by in the distance (from right to left).

Sony A7R2
Canon 11-24@24mm
50 ISO (expansion for cleaner noise profile)
1/100th
f/8
16:9 crop
Processed as a Photoshop RAW Smart Object
The Lightning Trigger

Bugs, scorpions, and rattlesnakes:

I think because of the unusual drought in the SW and lack of thunderstorms we have really noticed a shift in several things. A lot more bugs at locations we have never experienced them before. More rattlesnake activity and encounters (2 on this tour alone) much more scorpions (at a location I have been maybe 50+ times and have never seen even one)!

So if you are out in the SW this year, be careful!!!

Lastly, if my replies are very delayed, it is because I flew back to FL (here 2 days) to see my stepsons football game, and now back to the SW (into September) then Glacier National Park for the peak of fall, and then I have to drive all the way back across the US back to Florida, then fly to Oregon to finish out the peak of Pacific Northwest Fall, then late fall Georgia Cypress Trees, SC Waterfalls and home to the Florida coastline. Too BUSY!

I hope everyone is doing great, getting great photos, and great light to you!

Some action

The generator as found 1 year later

4Runner club!

Aug 20, 2018 at 11:34 AM
xterra07
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Coal Mine Strike

Great scenery
Have you tried other triggers and prefer yours?

Aug 20, 2018 at 12:45 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Coal Mine Strike

xterra07 wrote:
Great scenery
Have you tried other triggers and prefer yours?

Thank you!

Actually, I wanted to go with what people were saying was the best, which is the original company. So, no. But because I lead about 15-20 photography workshops a year I have had many clients on my SW workshops that have had all kinds of other knock-off brands. At this point, I am convinced that paying a little more for the original "The Lightning Trigger" is worth it. I have seen many other brands not perform so well. Also, a side note. I 4-wheel drive a lot, and this type of technology does not do well-getting rattled and beat up a lot. So be very careful with it. I have broken at least one (it quite performing well).

Aug 20, 2018 at 01:20 PM
lostinjapan
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Coal Mine Strike

Beautiful as always, Mark. And I really appreciate the all the details you take the time to write up, always learn something new.

Thanks for sharing!

Ryan

Aug 20, 2018 at 01:47 PM
Jred
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Coal Mine Strike

Beautiful Mark. Fantastic location and shot!

Aug 20, 2018 at 01:56 PM
Older Fossil
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Coal Mine Strike

Wow, what an awesome image! And your generator story was amazing.

Art

Aug 20, 2018 at 01:58 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Coal Mine Strike

Outstanding image Mark. I think this one is even better than a previous one you posted.

Aug 20, 2018 at 02:34 PM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Coal Mine Strike

Incredible photo! It is outstanding image masterfully illustrated the scene with lightening that accentuate your image further.

Aug 20, 2018 at 03:09 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Coal Mine Strike

Great light and lightning as a special bonus. Fine work as usual, Mark. Great luck with the generator. Looks like you got the "trail model" on the 4Runner. Good pick, the locking diff and descent control come in handy.

Aug 20, 2018 at 04:03 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Coal Mine Strike

Oh my goodness!! What an award winning capture. Lovely light, comp (even the cloud lines), processing and some amazing 3D pop. Got my vote! Dave

Aug 20, 2018 at 05:30 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Coal Mine Strike

Beautiful work. Bravo!

Aug 20, 2018 at 05:34 PM
andrew perkins
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Coal Mine Strike

This is great! Excellent light and good job on the processing to complement. Awesome

Aug 20, 2018 at 06:29 PM
SharonVL
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Coal Mine Strike

Gorgeous!

Aug 20, 2018 at 06:59 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Coal Mine Strike

Superb image Mark. Always love to read the commentary. That generator story is a hoot. I've had similar experiences, but not to that extreme.

Aug 20, 2018 at 07:06 PM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Coal Mine Strike

Hi Mark,
This is one the best images I've seen in a long time, maybe a few years. I really like what you've done here. Congrats!

I have a 2007 4Runner that I love. They are quite rugged.

Gordon

Aug 20, 2018 at 07:15 PM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Coal Mine Strike

Powerful, dramatic and beautiful. Brilliant image, Mark!

Aug 20, 2018 at 08:04 PM
Johnwocher
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Coal Mine Strike

Mark - One of the absolutely best landscape photographs I have ever seen. Ever.
John

Aug 20, 2018 at 08:24 PM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Coal Mine Strike

Excellent, beautiful light!

Aug 20, 2018 at 08:48 PM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Coal Mine Strike

I must hand it to you, that is a fantastic image!

Aug 20, 2018 at 08:52 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.