New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              17       18       end

Archive 2017 · A7rIII settings

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A7rIII settings

Okay we are getting close here and I got a good idea how I want to set this up and coming from the A9 I may have a few tricks. But I never tried to do this but us still shooters that don’t regularly shoot video. I wonder can we make the record button a custom function. Be nice to have that one as a extra custom function. For me maybe Drive mode or focus peaking

Right now I’m going to go

C1 focus area
C2 live view
C3 shutter option
C4 Crop mode
Joystick AF move
Press Joystick will be magnify
Left dial. Color Balance
Right dial will be ISO
Down dial Af/MF toggle. Love this one as I don’t have to have AF mode in a Custom function. I put camera on AFC and use this for manual focus. But will put this in Fn 1st position

If I can use Record button than most likely for me is focus peaking or make this crop mode and C4 focus peaking.

AF on will stay but AEL will Be Eye AF . I like this setup here

Shutter button will turn off AF on. It’s just releases shutter only

Nov 24, 2017 at 10:29 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A7rIII settings

Looks like a great starting point Guy.
Does the A7RIII has the 'crop mode' custom button option like the A9?

Nov 24, 2017 at 11:52 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A7rIII settings

Fred Miranda wrote:
Looks like a great starting point Guy.
Does the A7RIII has the 'crop mode' custom button option like the A9?

Yes Fred you can set it in any of the custom buttons. I honestly only had to go into the menu to format. Your going to love this thing. Now if we can get the record button to Be reassigned that would give us a extra button.

Nov 24, 2017 at 11:56 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A7rIII settings

Fred I think we can do EFSC as well when in mechanical. That would be really handy. Have to check that out when we get it.

Nov 24, 2017 at 11:58 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A7rIII settings

https://sonyalpha.blog/2017/11/21/sony-a7riii-18-secret-features-that-will-make-you-upgrade-from-a7rii-or-a9/

Nov 25, 2017 at 01:02 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A7rIII settings

nandadevieast wrote:
https://sonyalpha.blog/2017/11/21/sony-a7riii-18-secret-features-that-will-make-you-upgrade-from-a7rii-or-a9/

Thanks, this is excellent. Lots of great additions there!

The new metering options could prove very useful (metering for faces in multi segment, spot metering linked to active AF and maybe even the highlight metering).

Not sure I can wait for Spring to get this

Nov 25, 2017 at 03:15 AM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A7rIII settings

This thread is especially useful to a new Sony user like me. Thank you Guy and others. I know the settings are a personal thing but it gives a newbie someplace to start and/or things to consider. The link to "secret features" is going to be useful.

Other than saying thank you.... The purpose of this post is to encourage others to add some of the useful custom button / function assignments.

Nov 25, 2017 at 08:33 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A7rIII settings

It’s why I started it. I thought coming from the A9 now to the A7rIII it would be important for the ArII upgrades as it’s completely diffrent and also new users. Plus once you have camera in hand it be fast to get you setup. There is some things I still don’t know like recall and such which I have not played with. So I also like to learn a few tricks. I’m a still shooter that uses both AF and MF lenses so you can see like my AF/MF toggle is important plus focus peaking control. This maybe a good starting point and obviously you can tweak it anyway you want. The goal here is staying out of the menus when shooting. You really want custom functions and Fn options at your disposal fast. Fn is great as you have 12 options and it’s easy to navigate. So you really want to populate that as top 6 the most important and bottom 6 as the secondary controls.

I’m going to read that link as well see if I can learn some more tricks. Plus there are new features like flicker in fluorescent lighting that I want to get in the Fn functions. Plus we have Pixel Stitch which maybe is best as a custom function button. Lot going on here.

Nov 25, 2017 at 08:45 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A7rIII settings

Im thinking of setting up my Memory Recal Options as follows:

M1: shooting portraits or moving subjects
- AF-C, Lock on flex spot AF point, aperture priority, min shutter 250, EFCS, AWB, continuous drive, face detect, face spot metering, compressed RAW

M2: tripod use
- AF-S, Flex spot AF point, Manual (ISO=100), steady shot off, 5 second timer, Silent shutter, multi metering, uncompressed RAW

M3: TAP with 50 f/1.1 (shooting wide open)
- AF-S, Flex spot AF, Aperture priority, steady shot = 50mm, mechanical shutter, AWB, face detect, face spot metering, compressed RAW

Then my normal settings will be for walk around shooting:
- AF-S, Flex spot AF point, Aperture priority, steady shot on, multi metering, compressed RAW

Custom buttons...

On my A7RII, I had C1 and C2 set for focus area point settings and focus mode respectively, and I rarely change these. I may keep the AF point type assigned to one of those buttons as sometimes shooting moving subjects I change the AF point type depending on the subject and surroundings. So C1 will be used for that.

I think other things I might want to toggle quickly when shooting would be:
- metering mode between multi, and spot based on focus point. The latter is a huge new feature in my opinion. Maybe use wheel down for this or AEL?
- AF/MF toggle which i use as a focus hold type feature since most of my primes don’t have a button on the barrel for this and I find toggling AF to MF more versatile than focus hold. Maybe use C2 for this to keep both front buttons related to focus settings.
- EYE-AF. Probably makes sense to use the AF-On button for this. I may also try the joystick or wheel press for this. Not sure now... too many options

I’m not sure what I will assign the AEL button to. I never need exposure lock separate from the shutter. ?

I can’t think of anything else. Other stuff like shutter mode can go in the Fn menu.

For playback, chimping and zooming to check focus is key...
I’d like to use the Center of the wheel to zoom in on playback. I’m also hoping the joystick can navigate through photos in playback mode when zoomed in.

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:17 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A7rIII settings

Af on is normal AF. Change AEL to Eye Af. Works really nice

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:37 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A7rIII settings

Joystick can move in playback zoomed in

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:38 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A7rIII settings

GMPhotography wrote:
Af on is normal AF. Change AEL to Eye Af. Works really nice

I don’t use back button focus. So I’ll probably change AF-On to something else. Eye-AF would seem to make the most sense in my case?

Nov 25, 2017 at 01:30 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A7rIII settings

Most likely yes

Nov 25, 2017 at 01:49 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A7rIII settings

Let’s keep this thread alive as it maybe a good reference as folks are starting to receve cameras in a Europe at the moment

Nov 28, 2017 at 07:57 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A7rIII settings

I saw in another thread, people repurposing the back wheel now for ISO settings. I tried that once on the A7RII and it was a complete waste of time as my ISO was unintentionally all over the place due to occasional movement of the dial. I would reconsider that now, but I use Flexible Spot focus point a lot, and the wheel controls the size of the spot... Hmmm.

Nov 28, 2017 at 09:59 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A7rIII settings

I don’t recommend ISO on the dial either. I tried it once and a disaster as well

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:09 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A7rIII settings

I use right dial to engage than turn from there

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:13 AM
mldNYC

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A7rIII settings

Completely new to sony so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I like setting the focus lock button on the lens to wide focus area... i'm mostly shooting sports with this system, so it just comes in handy for those instantaneous moments you don't even have a second to think about and just hope to have a chance at grabbing a frame.

I've set the AEL to eye autofocus (specifically Recall Custom Hold 1) to bring me down to 1/250th second, Single shot, auto iso etc for spontaneous sideline portrait types of shots. Helmets off of course!!

-m

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:03 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A7rIII settings

https://www.colbybrownphotography.com/getting-the-most-out-of-your-sony-a7r-iii/

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:54 PM
tn1krr
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A7rIII settings

virtualrain wrote:
I saw in another thread, people repurposing the back wheel now for ISO settings. I tried that once on the A7RII and it was a complete waste of time as my ISO was unintentionally all over the place due to occasional movement of the dial. I would reconsider that now, but I use Flexible Spot focus point a lot, and the wheel controls the size of the spot... Hmmm.

Flexible spot size control this way seems to be gone from A7RIII. I unassigned the control wheel rotation and went to move Flex spot. Size not changing Not 100% if I have checked everything but I did not find anything that could effect this.

Not happy if this is true, but then the wheel can maybe used for ISO/WB control. It is more firm and less likely to be accidentally rotated than the wheel in previous models.

Nov 29, 2017 at 07:13 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.