New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Ken Dancan talks about the Lumix G9

TakenWild
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ken Dancan talks about the Lumix G9

This camera hasn’t been released or announced as far as I can tell. Does anyone else know?

Oct 28, 2017 at 07:44 PM
TakenWild
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ken Dancan talks about the Lumix G9

He has now taken down the post.. oops!

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:53 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ken Dancan talks about the Lumix G9

Thanks for the post @TakenWild! And thanks for grabbing a screenshots of it before it was taken down.

Been waiting for some more rumours about this, if it's true, it should be the mystery still oriented camera that Panasonic will announce on November 6:th.

It's been rumoured about a stills oriented camera in a GH5 body. Might be more in the line of a G7 body perhaps? Or they use the GH5 body and name the stills range "G" instead?

Oct 29, 2017 at 12:20 AM
TakenWild
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ken Dancan talks about the Lumix G9

I’m a Sony shooter, but I love all cameras and I’m aware of what most brands have. Ken Duncan is probably the most famous landscape photographer in Australia. He’s a bit old school and not very social media savvy.

I don’t know too much about the rumours for this camera I’m sorry. I just thought this might be of interest.

The LUMIX G cameras are very cool. They throw everything they can at them. Great bang for the buck.

Oct 29, 2017 at 08:43 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ken Dancan talks about the Lumix G9

He writes "80MB shooting mode", but could he mean 80mp (megapixel) shooting mode, something like the Olympus high res mode?

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:49 AM
TakenWild
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ken Dancan talks about the Lumix G9

Yes, you are right. That is exactly what he meant.

bjornthun wrote:
He writes "80MB shooting mode", but could he mean 80mp (megapixel) shooting mode, something like the Olympus high res mode?

Oct 29, 2017 at 12:08 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ken Dancan talks about the Lumix G9

Panasonic is upping the game, which is good news to all m43 shooters. Even Sony has adopted the “pixel shift” technology so you can shoot 170mp in the Hi-Res mode with just 4 frames, which theoretically means it can do it in half the time it takes the E-M1.2.

Oct 29, 2017 at 12:18 PM
ijm5012
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ken Dancan talks about the Lumix G9

bobbytan wrote:
Panasonic is upping the game, which is good news to all m43 shooters. Even Sony has adopted the “pixel shift” technology so you can shoot 170mp in the Hi-Res mode with just 4 frames, which theoretically means it can do it in half the time it takes the E-M1.2.

Are you certain about that? I thought I read that the pixel shift in the Sony A7R III did not combine he shots for higher resolution, but rather for eliminating false color and moire only. Also, the Sony does not do it in-camera like Olympus does.

Oct 29, 2017 at 04:02 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ken Dancan talks about the Lumix G9

bobbytan wrote:

Welcome back Bobby

Well, in theory and in the future perhaps but in the A7R III it takes something about 4+ seconds to do it, and it doesn't combine it. Most likely they will catch up though.

Oct 29, 2017 at 04:25 PM
TakenWild
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ken Dancan talks about the Lumix G9

PhotoRumors have pinched my screenshot from here. Thing get around on the internet.

Oct 29, 2017 at 07:08 PM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ken Dancan talks about the Lumix G9

Hope there's a lot of info yet to be released, like PDAF, higher res sensor, base ISO, etc.

I was really hoping for a GX9, with base ISO of 50, and clean ISO at 3200...PDAF...and 24-28mp BSI sensor. Hoping that this G9 would have the above, and that tech will eventually trickle down into a smaller GX body hopefully by next spring.

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:55 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ken Dancan talks about the Lumix G9

Thank you, Rasmus! I posted a couple of images on the landscape forum:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1514868

I am off to the Eastern Sierras tomorrow for 3-4 days. Hope the lighting is better there.

Wilbus wrote:
Welcome back Bobby

Well, in theory and in the future perhaps but in the A7R III it takes something about 4+ seconds to do it, and it doesn't combine it. Most likely they will catch up though.

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:43 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ken Dancan talks about the Lumix G9

Great shots there Bobby, hoping for BETTER lightning? That looked pretty dang good to me.

As for the G9, of course there will be a lot more info released but Panasonic is keeping it pretty tight this time it seems.

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:09 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ken Dancan talks about the Lumix G9

Thanks! There were no clouds and no mist or fog in the valley - so the lighting is the same every day. BTW the first image was taken with the PL 8-18 lens.

Wilbus wrote:
Great shots there Bobby, hoping for BETTER lightning? That looked pretty dang good to me.

As for the G9, of course there will be a lot more info released but Panasonic is keeping it pretty tight this time it seems.

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:51 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ken Dancan talks about the Lumix G9

bobbytan wrote:
Thanks! There were no clouds and no mist or fog in the valley - so the lighting is the same every day. BTW the first image was taken with the PL 8-18 lens.

Whaaaat?! They've managed to get that good sunbursts from it?

Now I'm even more interested in it!

Oct 30, 2017 at 05:30 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ken Dancan talks about the Lumix G9

ijm5012 wrote:
Are you certain about that? I thought I read that the pixel shift in the Sony A7R III did not combine he shots for higher resolution, but rather for eliminating false color and moire only. Also, the Sony does not do it in-camera like Olympus does.

A bit of both. It doesn't do half pixel shifts which would give you the highest resolution from pixel shift.
Instead it does whole pixel shifts, which as you say eliminates bayer artefacts like false colour and moire.
BUT Bayer demosaicing reduces effective resolution, so doing this does increase effective resolution considerably, given better per-pixel sharpness in a file that's still 42MP and thus a bit easier to work with...

Oct 30, 2017 at 05:33 PM
takomaru
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ken Dancan talks about the Lumix G9

Just back from the mountains when just opened and saw this post, so thanks TakenWild for bringing this up. Myself, also a Sony shooter, but love the EM1 II functionality, hi res and other terrific in camera options nobody else seems to offer. Was expecting a new GH5 as announced in m43 Rumors, more biased towards photo as I don't do video, but this is a nice surprise, 80 Mp high res shooting and stitching, don't know if on the fly as the Oly does not work that way. I have zero experience with Panasonic and Lumix cameras, but this sounds like a nice addition to m43, and it's good to see development. I have no idea how AF is, from commentaries and GH5 reviews I know it's a terrific platform even when compared to expensive RED; how is AF? As it is not very fast in my EM1 II in events, but I'm shooting mostly semi static, with action I'd have issues.

Bobbytan, terrific shots, you make that that 8-18 Pana shine and a lot smaller than the Oly 7-14, great sunburst will have to take a closer look as it's easier on filters also.

Oct 30, 2017 at 06:55 PM
LT.Tran

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ken Dancan talks about the Lumix G9

I hope it has VFR up to 120fps for video, as the G85 does not. I hear it can do 60fps @4K, which is pretty cool for us videographer. If this G9 has dual card slot, I’m sold. We’ll just have to wait and see

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:01 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Ken Dancan talks about the Lumix G9

takomaru wrote:
Just back from the mountains when just opened and saw this post, so thanks TakenWild for bringing this up. Myself, also a Sony shooter, but love the EM1 II functionality, hi res and other terrific in camera options nobody else seems to offer. Was expecting a new GH5 as announced in m43 Rumors, more biased towards photo as I don't do video, but this is a nice surprise, 80 Mp high res shooting and stitching, don't know if on the fly as the Oly does not work that way. I have zero experience with Panasonic and Lumix cameras, but this
...Show more

I have the GH5 home for testing, will return it soon I think but it depends on the G9 as well.

First, the AF in general is blazing fast, it makes my E-M1 feel like a much slower camera in many instances. The few times the GH5 misses focus and hunts, it hunts WAY faster then the E-M1 and usually finds something to lock on to the second time, this is much much faster then my E-M1.
Second, it focuses better in low light. The camera feels very snappy all together and I am very impressed. I have to send it back next week unless I wanna keep it but I am waiting for the G9 specs and what camera body it will use.

I have some issues with the 225 point AF for stills though, I am thinking it might be I who don't know how Panasonic AF system works but this is the issue, and I will make a post about it on FM and ask. It might also be a faulty unit.

If I choose single point focus in the 225 point mode, meaning I choose, for example the centre point to focus with rather then one of the many different multi point choices that centre point seems to read several points outside that actual point. If I aim the point at a persons eye it's fine for the most part. But if that person looks down, just slightly, the camera focus on the background, it seems as if though it chooses a point to the left of the one I chose. I noticed it several times for different subjects (our cat, focused on head but got the background) as well as some much bigger things where it instead chose the foreground.

If I change to single point AF mode (it works a bitt different from Olympus with all the modes) I get what I aim for but that mode is more similar to Olympuses zoomed in mode where you can set the AF point where ever you want and it also focuses slightly slower, not to mention if I wanna change the AF points position it takes much loner to move across the frame.

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:47 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Ken Dancan talks about the Lumix G9

LT.Tran wrote:
I hope it has VFR up to 120fps for video, as the G85 does not. I hear it can do 60fps @4K, which is pretty cool for us videographer. If this G9 has dual card slot, I’m sold. We’ll just have to wait and see

Guessing the GH5 will be better for video still as I believe the G9 will be some what limited here. Probably still very good as it is Panasonic but I am guessing the GH5 will still be a much better choice for that.

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:49 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.