New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Difference between Profoto RFI and OCF modifiers and speedrings

sungphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Difference between Profoto RFI and OCF modifiers and speedrings

So far I've learned that Profoto offers a few different flavors of modifiers and compatibility with different versions of the speedrings.

1) Profoto (discontinued): Some say that these are the best ones in terms of durability. Compatible with the RFI speedring
2) Profoto RFI: Made with more durable materials than the OCF versions, and have completely removable front and inner diffusion material. Compatible with RFI speedring
3) Profoto OCF: Made specifically for the B1 and B2, and do not appear to have removable front baffles. Only compatible with the OCF speedring

My question for those that have owned/used both, if you were able to do it again would you stick with only one version of these (ie would you only get the RFI versions, or would you try and scrounge up the old discontinued models)? I'm really only looking at the profoto modifiers for a 3x4, 2x3 and 1x3 modifier. The rest I'll be using a hodge podge of Elinchrom and Westcott.

Oct 19, 2017 at 01:32 PM
kshimz
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Difference between Profoto RFI and OCF modifiers and speedrings

I'm interested to know this as well. I guess it depends what you're shooting. Indoors, outdoors, the size and shape of the modifiers that you'll be using, if you need heat resistant modifiers, etc. The OCF speedring is lightweight and made of hard plastic so it can't handle the weight of larger modifiers. In your case, I would stick with RFI speedrings to be safe.

Oct 23, 2017 at 02:33 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Difference between Profoto RFI and OCF modifiers and speedrings

ryuemura wrote:
I'm interested to know this as well. I guess it depends what you're shooting. Indoors, outdoors, the size and shape of the modifiers that you'll be using, if you need heat resistant modifiers, etc. The OCF speedring is lightweight and made of hard plastic so it can't handle the weight of larger modifiers. In your case, I would stick with RFI speedrings to be safe.

Yeah that's exactly what I ended up doing

This website shows a really good comparison as to how the RFI vs OCF speedrings work.

http://sophastudio.blogspot.com/2015/03/new-profoto-ocf-softbox-2-octa.html

From what I understand, these are the critical things to know about the RFI vs OCF speedrings:

1) RFI modifiers will only work on RFI speedrings, and an OCF modifier only works with an OCF speedring. The rods are designed differently, and attach to the speedring differently. This is kind of an odd product design choice for us photographers I think, and they don't make it any easier to understand via their website.

2) OCF modifiers have fixed front diffusers and removable inner ones, whereas RFI modifiers have removable inner and front diffusers. Again, kind of flawed design approach in my opinion considering a lot of photographers like to experiment with different qualities of light from their expensive modifiers.

3) RFI speedring is much larger and heavier, which has obviously pros and cons as the RFI speedring is more durable

I decided to order a couple RFI modifiers, which partially dictated my choice. I also really dislike that you can't remove the front diffuser on the OCF modifiers. The modifier I use the most on location is a 3 ft octa as it's pretty easy for an assistant to hand hold, and that seems to be only available as an RFI modifier. It doesn't make sense for me to have an OCF and RFI 2x3 for different situations - I'd rather get the RFI one and know that I can use it for everything with perhaps a bit of a weight penalty.

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:20 AM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Difference between Profoto RFI and OCF modifiers and speedrings

One of the major considerations of OCF versus RFI is the heat generated by the modeling light. In the D1 and D2 you have hot Halogen modeling lights and in the B1, B1x and B2 you have cool LED modeling lights. If you put certain OCF modifiers on a D1 or D2, the heat from the modeling lamp can melt, deform or degrade the OCF modifiers. I have both B1's and D2's so I use RFI speedrings and modifiers for use on all my lights. I do have the OCF gel kits, but those only go on the B1's. The D2's would melt the gels and plastic holder.

Hope that helps.

Oct 23, 2017 at 02:42 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Difference between Profoto RFI and OCF modifiers and speedrings

Ahh yes good point. Yes that is helpful, thanks.

Oct 23, 2017 at 03:23 PM
MayaTlab
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Difference between Profoto RFI and OCF modifiers and speedrings

Another point of interest is that the OCF speedring can't rotate on its own, which makes using strip boxes a PITA. The tip at the end of the rods is glued instead of pinched, and some people have experienced durability problems (the tip would come off).

The RFI speedring is also too deep to use it on a B2 head with the gel holder, if that's a point of concern. But on a positive note I think that it's better made than any other speedring for Profoto mount that I've used.

Oct 23, 2017 at 04:05 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Difference between Profoto RFI and OCF modifiers and speedrings

The best-made SR for Profoto is the Chimera Quick-Release: solid alu except for the rubber grip. For the same reason, it's extremely heat resistant. I allocate one for a Profoto Lantern HR which is also made to survive heat (think continuous tungsten).

Oct 23, 2017 at 06:42 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.