New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Voigtlander quality and service issues

strohscw
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Voigtlander quality and service issues

3 (in words three!!!) months ago I have sent my Voigtlander 15 4.5 EF to Voigtlander because of centering issues.
If have sent this directly to Voigtlander because my dealer told me that this would be faster and gave me the address.
I got no information that they got the lens, no information how long it would take, nothing.
After asking my dealer he got a short info that they could not do it in Germany they had to send it to Japan and I for sure will get it back CW38 latest. No lens no info, nothing.
For me this is the way I donīt want to be treated, that’s why I decided for myself never to buy a lens from this manufacturer again.

Oct 03, 2016 at 07:23 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Voigtlander quality and service issues

All the Voigtlander lenses are manufactured now by Cosina in Japan. Voigtlander once belonged to German photo brands, but this is long gone, only the brand name is still intact. Optically I like CV (Cosina-Voigtlander) lenses (very good image quality for a more affordable price compared to Zeiss/Leica), but I also never had to use service on any of them.

Oct 03, 2016 at 08:00 AM
strohscw
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Voigtlander quality and service issues

Well, I know that sometimes it takes more time, even if 12 weeks is way to long, but what really makes me angry is the fact that you get no info, nothing!!

Oct 03, 2016 at 08:34 AM
RCicala
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Voigtlander quality and service issues

In the rental business that's the main reason we have trouble stocking them. Repairs are 3 or 4 months usually, even for something as simple as a dented filter ring, and 6 months isn't unheard of. It would be nice if they would follow Rokinon's example and offer an exchange service for repairs.

Oct 06, 2016 at 08:03 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Voigtlander quality and service issues

AND to get an answer from any kind of service technician regarding "is the infinity stop adjustable on the 15/4.5 E" apparently takes weeks as well. WTH?

Oct 06, 2016 at 10:38 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Voigtlander quality and service issues

And still the lens quality is often excellent - at least from my experience with three CV M-mount lenses which I bought. Leica lenses are a notch sharper, but two of my CV lenses are faster (CV 35/1.2 II and CV 21/1.8). Bokeh at f/2 is better with the CV 35/1.2 II than with the much more expensive Leica 35/2. I am using preferably the CV 35/1.2 II in low light situations. This lens is also sharper wide open compared to my Canon 50/1.2 L DSLR lens.

The CV 12/5.6 lens has proven to be one of my favorite lenses especially indoors. Software post processing is needed with photos of this lens attached to a Sony A7 series camera due to vignetting, but it is absolutely perfect on a Leica camera (I don't have a digital Leica M, only film ones). Small, compact lens with a very good lens housing.

I read somewhere that the CV lenses rely on former Zeiss lens blueprints, and Cosina also produces some Zeiss lenses. But I am not certain if this is still true/valid. Nevertheless, I like my CV lenses as much as my Leica M lenses.

Oct 07, 2016 at 05:48 AM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Voigtlander quality and service issues

If you're in the US it's worth it to purchase from Cameraquest as the owner will assist you with servicing as he's the only authorized dealer (unless this has changed?). No help in Austria though, sorry

I had considered getting an older Voigt of mine serviced under warranty a few years ago, but it was one I had purchased from another online vendor, and you're pretty much stuck dealing with it on your own, out of pocket, after the 30-day return period has expired.

Oct 07, 2016 at 07:19 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Voigtlander quality and service issues

uscmatt99 wrote:
If you're in the US it's worth it to purchase from Cameraquest as the owner will assist you with servicing as he's the only authorized dealer (unless this has changed?). No help in Austria though, sorry

I had considered getting an older Voigt of mine serviced under warranty a few years ago, but it was one I had purchased from another online vendor, and you're pretty much stuck dealing with it on your own, out of pocket, after the 30-day return period has expired.

Hi Matt,

There are 2 official distributors in the US for Voigtlander:

Cameraquest on the West Coast:

http://www.cameraquest.com/

and Photo Village on the East Coast:

http://www.photovillage.com/home.php

Rich

Oct 07, 2016 at 07:46 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Voigtlander quality and service issues

I just got my 12mm overnight from cameraquest. Heading out to test it but looks good so far.

Oct 07, 2016 at 07:49 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Voigtlander quality and service issues

RCicala wrote:
In the rental business that's the main reason we have trouble stocking them. Repairs are 3 or 4 months usually, even for something as simple as a dented filter ring, and 6 months isn't unheard of. It would be nice if they would follow Rokinon's example and offer an exchange service for repairs.

Why do you suppose it's so bad? With all the stuff they make for Zeiss they're hardly some little boutique manufacturer. Slash why do you suppose the stuff they make for Zeiss doesn't have this problem?

Oct 07, 2016 at 11:19 PM
strohscw
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Voigtlander quality and service issues

Next part of this story:
I asked my dealer to check with them. They told him that they didnīt get the lens !!!! I should prove that I sent it to them.
So I checked my documents and found the shipping confirmation (three months old), my dealer forwarded it to them.
Answer: Oh yeah, they have gotten the lens, the Japanese manufactureres havenīt found anything, itīs within their tolerances, so they sent it now back directly to me as it was, only the package is damaged !!
If that is the quality understanding from Voigtlaender, I do not want to have a lens from them.

Oct 08, 2016 at 03:26 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Voigtlander quality and service issues

strohscw wrote:
Next part of this story:
I asked my dealer to check with them. They told him that they didnīt get the lens !!!! I should prove that I sent it to them.
So I checked my documents and found the shipping confirmation (three months old), my dealer forwarded it to them.
Answer: Oh yeah, they have gotten the lens, the Japanese manufactureres havenīt found anything, itīs within their tolerances, so they sent it now back directly to me as it was, only the package is damaged !!
If that is the quality understanding from Voigtlaender, I do not want to have a
...Show more

That's certainly the worst case scenario (other than that the lens would been lost in transition at their facility!) - looks like they have no good service set up to handle those things well. There is a probability that your lens was never investigated there either and simply sent back after sitting for 3 months. When you get your lens back, you either have to live with it as it is or sell it discounted describing the decentered issue. After such experience I can understand that you would also stay away from CV lenses next time unfortunately.

Oct 08, 2016 at 10:25 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Voigtlander quality and service issues

Probably and unfortunately a situation where it's best just to return the lens after initial testing, rather than take the chance the problem can be repaired. Seems that is what many did with the new 15 recently in the related threads here.

Oct 09, 2016 at 12:27 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Voigtlander quality and service issues

strohscw wrote:
Next part of this story:
If that is the quality understanding from Voigtlaender, I do not want to have a
...Show more

I think the "nothing wrong--within specs" portion of your saga is similar to what Roger Cicala has described as the probable outcome with most manufacturers--that they don't have the testing equipment or the inclination to carefully assess a lens and then do whatever degree of possible adjustment (short of re-manufacturing the lens by hand) would be necessary to fix it. He has suggested that a high resolution sensor offers a better technical basis for assessing a lens than what most manufacturers have available at their service facilities.

Read his blog at the link below (and weep):

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/09/is-your-camera-really-the-best-optical-test/

Oct 09, 2016 at 02:15 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Voigtlander quality and service issues

Lee Saxon wrote:
Why do you suppose it's so bad? With all the stuff they make for Zeiss they're hardly some little boutique manufacturer. Slash why do you suppose the stuff they make for Zeiss doesn't have this problem?

Cosina is basically a factory. They make the product to manufacturer's specs (more or less) and hand it over to the manufacturer who then handles distribution, repairs, etc. Cosina-Voigtlander doesn't have a distribution network or repair facilities, nor do the "U. S. distributors". Sometimes we get impressed because of the Voigtlander name, but basically a Voigtlander lens, from a repair standpoint is not nearly as good as a Rokinon. At least Rokinon has a facility to do exchanges of broken lenses.

Oct 13, 2016 at 05:32 AM
strohscw
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Voigtlander quality and service issues

Finally my dealer agreed to buy the lens back!

In my opinion there are two possibilities:

1.) The lens never got to Japan for inspection (most likely)
2.) Their tolerances are from the analog time. I think that most of the lens manufacturers need to adjust their tolerances and adapt them to the requirements of the new high pixel digital cameras. Otherwise it is not explainable that so many photographers complain about decentered lenses.

Oct 13, 2016 at 06:55 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password